2014 Subaru Forster turbo? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Off Topic Want to talk about something besides the RAV4? Go for it! NO POLITICS PLEASE!!!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to kel789
(Thread Starter)
2014 Subaru Forster turbo?

What do you folks think about the 2014 Subaru Forster turbo? This is probably the best option for those who are interested in Rav4 V6. I like to hear what you folks have to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

It looks pretty good. Here's a link to a Car & Driver review.

I like that they got rid of the 4 speed auto.. no manual available with the turbo though.

Zero to 60 mph: 6.7–8.6 sec depending on engine. Turbo does need premium, but I guess that would be pretty standard for turbos?

Will have to check it out myself.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
J3T

Subaru AWD is just perfect, it can be very expensive as you stack up your options.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to kel789
(Thread Starter)
^^^ prices are very competitive between the 2 brands in all model for 2012 of course in awd that is when i looked and compare a few months back.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 AM

Subaru could have a winner here...if pricing is competitive. In Canada, we only had the previous XT fully loaded, no base model like in the U.S.; in 2010, I came close to buy a base XT in the U.S. and import it here if it was not for my trade-in. I would have to sell kit privately and it was getting too complicated.

Subaru made the right decision as I thought they would simply drop in the Impreza weak 150HP 2.0L in the new Forester. They remained with the base 2.5L and they also offer a more powerful yet more economical and lighter turbo 2.0L. Toyota, are you listening??? You own about 20% of Subaru...

2012 Sport V6 Classic Silver no option
1999 Lexus RX300 Pearl White base gone
1972 Corolla 1200 Yellow 4 speed manual long gone
Others too many to mention!
#6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Freedom55: Is that right, Toy owns part of Sabaru?

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 PM

For one ,I have to see the new Subaru in person but from any pictures I have seen its no beauty and secondly comes with CVT. Although it is hailed as a very reliable vehicle a couple of my friends had problem with it just after warranty expiration (tranny and head gasket) that left 6 k hole in their budget and that makes me a little cautious.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meander View Post
For one ,I have to see the new Subaru in person but from any pictures I have seen its no beauty and secondly comes with CVT. Although it is hailed as a very reliable vehicle a couple of my friends had problem with it just after warranty expiration (tranny and head gasket) that left 6 k hole in their budget and that makes me a little cautious.

A few years ago I was getting my Nissan Murano serviced at the dealership. While I was there, I noticed another Murano that had the complete engine and tranny removed and sitting on the shop floor. I asked the service manager what was the problem with the vehicle. He told me that the CVT had failed and it was necessary to pull the entire engine and tranny package out to install a new one. Because I didn't have an extended warranty at that time, I asked him as to how much a job like that cost. He smiled and told me $8,000 and change. Roughly $6000 for the CVT and about $2000 for the labor...

I have no idea if other CVT equipped vehicles also require that the engine be removed in order to replace it or not. I only know that the earlier model Nissan Muranos did. I also don't know if CVT's of other makes/models are in the $6000 ball park. But if they are, you better get an extended warranty if you purchase a vehicle with one!

Btw, I was not impressed with either the performance or fuel economy of my first vehicle equipped with one. This time, I intentionally purchased a vehicle without one.

2011 V-6 Limited - Pyrite Mica
2007 Harley-Davidson Street Glide
#9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

I've always thought Subarus weren't very attractive... don't know what it is about them. The new Forester looks better, but it still doesn't "grab" me.

#10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Smile Subbie Forester

I hear the same thing on maintenance side... my friend just replaced his head gasket.. $3k.. ouch...
The subbie looks like it could take some biz away from Ford & Toyota, for folks that want more power.

2012 Sport V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page