Honda Fit for Christmas - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Off Topic Want to talk about something besides the RAV4? Go for it! NO POLITICS PLEASE!!!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Honda Fit for Christmas

After a lot of research and test drives I just bought my wife a used 2009 Honda Fit basic model automatic. I was really impressed with the storage ability and the build quality. The car has great handling along with good acceleration (0-60 9.9s 17.6/79mph) and fuel economy 27 city/35 hwy.

My comparison objectives in the $12-13K range and similar years with automatic were:

Toy Matrix base - nice, but seemed underpowered and handling wasn't that great. Also seemed cheap feeling inside and not that comfortable.

Scion Xd 2008 - more power but handling and tranny response not very good and it seemed noisy on the highway, and most seemed over priced. Also had a too boxy looking for my taste.

Mazda 2 2012 - Fantastic handling, comfort and build quality and quiet on the highway, but very limited storage space and the price was too high for my budget. This car is pretty amazing though, lots of fun to drive and has amazing pep for the small engine along with excellent mpg.

It was really hard finding a Fit, they are snapped up around here as soon as they come on the market. The local Honda dealer had just got this one in and it was sitting in the back and hadn't been detailed and checked out.. some guy in the military who got moved over seas. 40k miles and the price includes the original drive train warranty along with the Honda Certified one year warranty, all for $13k + tax, etc.

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 06:49 PM

Excellent choice! I have a friend who has bought a second one after leasing the first gen model and the cargo area is just outstanding and very flexible.

I got my Christmas gift today: it was a hit & run while I was at my sister's place with the family so I need a new rear bumper cover and I only have 2300 kms!

I'll have a police report done tomorrow (too pissed off right now and I have better things to do than to drive back near the accident) and I will contact my insurance hoping no deductible to pay and no premium increase next year(s). Perhaps the faulty driver had too much to drink and took off like a bat out of hell before someone could witness the scene and report him to the police...Arrrggghhh!

2012 Sport V6 Classic Silver no option
1999 Lexus RX300 Pearl White base gone
1972 Corolla 1200 Yellow 4 speed manual long gone
Others too many to mention!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 PM

First off, congratulations of purchasing a great little car. The "C" class segment has really heated up in the past couple of years. Despite that, the Fit seems to come out of the top of the heap even when faced with newer models (i.e. Mazda 2, Hyundai Accent/Kio Rio, Chevy Sonic/Spark, et al). As a whole, it is a good time for consomers for this segment.

My experience have only been with the first generation. However, I found the car to be extremely capable, flingable (is that a word really?), it can store to ton of items and the seating configurations are downright ingenious. My preference is for a manual, but Honda also adds paddle shifters (real paddles) for the auto the enhance the sportiness of the car. Best of luck
#4 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys.. Freedom55, sorry to hear about your "Christmas gift" hope you get it worked out. that's really too bad for this time of the year!

2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 AWD Sport-Sport, Magnetic Grey/Charcoal, Extra Value Pkg, Sport Appearance Pkg, Tow Pkg, BlueLogic hands free
#5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't driven a Fit, but when we took my wife's CR-V to Honda for its annual service I sat in a new one in the showroom - very impressively roomy and comfortable, especially for what is supposed to be a small car. Congrats on your purchase, and may your wife have many happy hours of driving it!

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord

Last edited by Blogson; 12-25-2012 at 12:37 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 07:03 AM

Outback)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
Thanks guys.. Freedom55, sorry to hear about your "Christmas gift" hope you get it worked out. that's really too bad for this time of the year!
Thanks! At least nobody got hurt My last hit & run was in 1999 ('97 Outback) and it got fixed n/c. My last fender bender was in 2002 but my vehicle ('99 RX300) had no damage; just the car in front of me (Corolla) that I hit at very low speed coming to a stop. The rear bumper cover on the car was damaged. I drive very carefully but back then I was not sleeping well due to problems at work and in my personal life, enough to slow down my otherwise excellent reflexes...

One can never be too careful. The same goes for traffic violations; my last ticket was back in 2002 and before that it was in 1976 In the '80s, one of my colleagues invested in a radar detector, I ordered the cruise control option on my '85 Horizon not very common then on such an econobox Guess who was paying tickets? The guy with the radar detector, useless in town.

#7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 10:23 AM

Upon closer inspection, no damage to the sheet metal but the 2 fender/rear door flares are scratched. Could be worse! I just hope they will replace the 3 plastic parts (bumper cover and 2 flares) and not try to patch them up...

#8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Many years ago when I lived in Texas I had a 85 Toy Corrola... it looked similar to this pix on line I found:

Anyway, I loved that car, had lots of room with the hatch back, was peppy and fun to drive with good gas milage (who cared back then though?)

So one day I pulled off a busy highway into the parking lot of a convenience store. A guy parked just in front of me started backing out with out looking behind him. I honked and he just kept backing up and before I could frantically get it in reverse he crunched the front left side of my car and at that point he stopped. I jumped out and realized I was s------d... he was driving a really old truck and was dressed really poorly. He was really old, probably too old to be driving, and he, of course, had no insurance and no money. Really nice guy and he was really upset about it, seemed disoriented and was really worried about how he would be able to pay for it. I told him not to worry about it and my insurance company covered it, luckily, as an uninsured driver.

#9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Interesting story doane2u...Watch out for your wife's Fit, some people out there obviously don't like Japanese vehicles and are trying to eliminate them from the planet earth That's probably the end of the world they were talking about that did not happen a few days ago, it's just the beginning of a slow process...!

Last edited by Freedom55; 12-26-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Typo
#10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doane2u View Post
Many years ago when I lived in Texas I had a 85 Toy Corrola... it looked similar to this pix on line I found:

Anyway, I loved that car, had lots of room with the hatch back, was peppy and fun to drive with good gas milage (who cared back then though?)

So one day I pulled off a busy highway into the parking lot of a convenience store. A guy parked just in front of me started backing out with out looking behind him. I honked and he just kept backing up and before I could frantically get it in reverse he crunched the front left side of my car and at that point he stopped. I jumped out and realized I was s------d... he was driving a really old truck and was dressed really poorly. He was really old, probably too old to be driving, and he, of course, had no insurance and no money. Really nice guy and he was really upset about it, seemed disoriented and was really worried about how he would be able to pay for it. I told him not to worry about it and my insurance company covered it, luckily, as an uninsured driver.
Someone who drives like that ultimately could kill someone, including himself - it would have been appropriate to report the situation to the police so that they could tell the driver licencing authority that he should at least be retested.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page