Bikes, one of the best solution to fight congestion - Toyota RAV4 Forums
Off Topic Want to talk about something besides the RAV4? Go for it! NO POLITICS PLEASE!!!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Bikes, one of the best solution to fight congestion

The american representatives from various states and cities whole heartedly agree on this after their tour through the Netherlands.

However, for better options the people have to want it too.
In the film below you see more then enough reasons why bicycling really is the way to go for trips under 10 miles.

From the Netherlands to America - YouTube

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 PM

Pim,

i agree,
but scooters and motorbikes/motorscooters are also good against congestions, but for longer distances, although mopedscooters and 25km/h scooters are a good alternative for shorter distances too.

but for eco-reasons too, bicycles are the best

ik zou het niet weten
#3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,070 Times in 777 Posts
Garage
The mayor of our town is finally trying to increase awareness of bike riders and installing more bike paths. Too many riders have been hurt and killed over the past few years:

Baton Rouge getting bike friendly | News | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, LA

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well, one of the reasons the dutch bike system is renowned for it's safety also lays in a very high fatality rate in the time around 1970. Due to increasing car traffic biking got a death toll of over 4000 a year in a small country with then less then 12 million citizens.

People began to massively protest on the streets and that helped focus the right attitude and will to make biking so much more safe and traffic so much more inviting to bikes. Not without reason about 50% of the traffic in Amsterdam is done by bike. Many regions in the USA have the same potential to become bike friendly, and thus increasing the use of bikes, making the obese excercise more and thus hitting more pluspoints then reducing congestion and increasing livability and well being.

Riding bike on large scale really is the way to go of a modern society.

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Many regions in the USA have the same potential to become bike friendly, and thus increasing the use of bikes, making the obese excercise more and thus hitting more pluspoints then reducing congestion and increasing livability and well being.

Riding bike on large scale really is the way to go of a modern society.
I agree, bike riding is healthy, but what is the deal with cigarettes? Seems like all the Europeans I've met and worked with over the last 5 years smoked like a chimney!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

James

#6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneBug View Post
I agree, bike riding is healthy, but what is the deal with cigarettes? Seems like all the Europeans I've met and worked with over the last 5 years smoked like a chimney!
The taxes on cigarettes in Europe are used to help to support their publicly financed health care systems, which then have to care for people who are affected by smoking those cigarettes!

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Jim, that typically is an American approach to trying to understand it. All is tax related and a negative approach.

In the Netherlands we have a system in place where everyone is mandatory insured for healthcare. For those costs which are not possible to be insured for (for long term disabled, mentally handicapped and such) everyone pays part of their salary to cover the entire costs. This solidarity is currently under pressure due to continueing increase in costs... That part is currently about 20% of the total wage, but might increase to being 40% if the current demographics are going to continue (more elderly, less working class people).

No, many europeans smoke indeed, but it's on decline. Productivity in the Netherlands is one of the highest in the world, which in turn raises stresslevels. People seek ways to cope with that is my idea on smoking.
Many effort is put into making less people smoke. From many non smoking area's, high taxes on cigarettes and likewise articles, age limits to buying them, and a change in attitude towards smoking by the public (less accepted).
But as it is on decline, people have found better ways to cope with stress.
Greetz

Pim

The Following User Says Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
krollie (01-02-2013)
#8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 PM

Perhaps a good way to commute for some, however in northern new england it's REALLY cold for half of the year. This morning in Vermont it was -6°F. That coupled with icy surfaces, areas where deep snow or frozen ice chunks exist and having all road markings covered with salt or snow... it's just dangerous... period. I see a few brave souls commuting now on bikes but even if you can stand the discomfort, you are commuting in heavy rush hour traffic in the freaking dark! Might as well throw yourself against a truck and check into the emergency room.

In the summer, much easier but you have to still contend with traffic and when you get to work an hour later, you're covered in sweat and need to take a shower. My workplace does not have a shower. The whole thing would add about an hour and a half to my workday for a ten mile commute. Plus, you can't drop your kids at school very easily. And then there's rain to contend with. Other than that, it's pretty ideal.

2009 RAV4 Sport 4WD V6 SAP
#9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 03:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdograv View Post
Perhaps a good way to commute for some, however in northern new england it's REALLY cold for half of the year. This morning in Vermont it was -6°F. That coupled with icy surfaces, areas where deep snow or frozen ice chunks exist and having all road markings covered with salt or snow... it's just dangerous... period. I see a few brave souls commuting now on bikes but even if you can stand the discomfort, you are commuting in heavy rush hour traffic in the freaking dark! Might as well throw yourself against a truck and check into the emergency room.
You would not believe the number of people I saw riding bikes in snowy downtown Montreal in January! I was amazed by these hearty souls!

James

#10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Jim, that typically is an American approach to trying to understand it. All is tax related and a negative approach.

In the Netherlands we have a system in place where everyone is mandatory insured for healthcare. For those costs which are not possible to be insured for (for long term disabled, mentally handicapped and such) everyone pays part of their salary to cover the entire costs. This solidarity is currently under pressure due to continueing increase in costs... That part is currently about 20% of the total wage, but might increase to being 40% if the current demographics are going to continue (more elderly, less working class people).

No, many europeans smoke indeed, but it's on decline. Productivity in the Netherlands is one of the highest in the world, which in turn raises stresslevels. People seek ways to cope with that is my idea on smoking.
Many effort is put into making less people smoke. From many non smoking area's, high taxes on cigarettes and likewise articles, age limits to buying them, and a change in attitude towards smoking by the public (less accepted).
But as it is on decline, people have found better ways to cope with stress.
Greetz

Pim
Pim, I've lived in Europe and cigarette and tobacco tax is widely used to help to support health care systems. I was simply pointing out the irony involved. Obviously at least in some countries there are official efforts to discourage smoking, but in countries such as Spain the smoking rate, especially among males, is rather high.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page