Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

recommended winter tires for 2011 base

13K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  blackdograv 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some feedback on winter tires that work well on my 2011 RAV4 base with 16-inch wheels. I live in SW Ontario where ice and light snow prevail.

#2 ·
I've been going through the options myself, although for a 2009 Sport. I'm going to run 17" wheels... separate set.

I will likely go with Hakkapeliita R... relatively new SUV low rolling resistance snow tire. For less money the Hankook i Pike look good. I used to run Hakka 2 studded on my Outback and those were pretty much unstoppable. Bit they were noisy and did not handle well.

I think you need to assess whether ultimate traction is more important than feel or handling... and decide on whether you want studs. If ultimate traction is your goal, the blockier patterns like Cooper. Wearhermaster and the Hakka 5 may be good. If you want to balance things out more in favor of handling and less noise, the patterns like the Hakka R and the Hankook i Pike are probably better. Plus studs. For my outback this year I ended up with an almost new set of Gislaved Nord Frost... sim to a Hakka, studless.

I may be oversimplifying... there's a lot to consider and you can spend a lot of time trying to make the perfect choice. Another strategy is to do searches on Craigslist with your tire size and see what deals present themselves. Also, search these forums as there have been other threads recently on this topic.

#3 ·
Handling is important, low noise are important, but so is traction especially in slushy, icy conditions. I'm been thinking about Michelin X-Ice, which I had on a Maxa Protege I used to own. Online research I've done is pretty polarized -- people either love them or hate them, same with Blizzak from Bridgestone, although the knock on them is that they wear out fast.

#4 ·
the reason the reviews are polarized is because there are two versions of the tire. that's why if you look at tirerack or costco they have the tire listed twice. the old tire gets pretty mediocre reviews. the newer one is getting good reviews. seems like they changed up the rubber a bit to give a better ride and better traction. if you get the x-ices make sure they are the newer build.

#5 ·
We bought some toyo open country ice and snow on 16s. bought them used, well she used them for 1/2 a season and only drove to run errands. I have been very pleased with them last year although they do not compare to the pirelli scorpion ice and snow those were amazing tires on our Xtrail but we paid full price. My dad bought the same toyos for his rav and he loves them just as much. He said best he's ever had.

#6 ·
Consumer Reports November issue just tested 16 popular winter tires and the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 and Xi2 tied for first place with scores of 62 each. Considering the Xi2 is the out-going model, pricing should be better for it. The Hankook Winter I*Cept Evo was 3rd, followed by: Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II, Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow II, Bridgestone Blizzak WS70, Nokian Hakkapelitta R, Goodyear UltraGrip Ice WRT, BFGoodrich Winter Slalom KSI, Continental Extreme Winter Contact, General Altimax Arctic, Hankook Winter I*Pike, Falken Espia EPZ, Dunlop Graspic DS-3, Yokohama IceGuard iG20 and Firestone Winterforce.

#7 ·
i just ordered the general altimax artics from discount tire. they pricematched tirerack.com's price after shipping so i'm getting them for ~$100 each. i'm putting them on some 16" lexus wheels in a 215/70/16 size. i was looking at the Michelin x-ice and the BFG winter slalom's, but getting the the altimax's saves me about $200-300. in seattle i don't know how much use i'll get out of them anyway, they are predicting a mild winter this year.

#9 · (Edited)
I have 16" steel wheels for my sport during the winter, first set of winter tires were the Michelin XiceII, P215-70-16. While the tread wear, road noise, and ice traction were very good, I found that after about 15,000 K that the traction in deep snow, and slush was not thast great. Now in the market for a new set of winters. I am looking at trying the Blizzak DM V1...anyone try those yet?

#10 ·
I'm looking at the Blizzak DMV1 as well. I am curious to see how they run on the Rav4. Also any reviews on the Toyo GSI5. I was originally looking at the Blizzak WS70 but think the sidewall might not be sturdy enough and don't want to sacrifice handling.

#13 · (Edited)
From what you describe the Michellin Xice (especially the latest design) seem to be one of the best available. I live in CO where there's less ice and deeper snow. For those reasons I'm considering other tires (otherwise, I would go with the xice). The Nokian Hakkapellitta 7 might also be a great choice since they're studded, but I have't done the research to compare to the xice (EDIT: The 7's look to be excellent, but come at a premium cost). For other snow tires, I'll include what I've found in case someone comes across this who is looking for different tires:

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 - Better for soft deep snow (typically what we encounter in Colorado). You'll read that they wear fast and only have the snow traction at the top 50% of the tread. I don't think this is a concern because for deep snow you'll only want to use a snow tire that has that much tread anyways. Because it's a stiffer tire except for the last bit of rubber, my opinion is that this dual compound result in less of a compromise for handling vs. snow traction (reviews say this handles very well compared to other snow tires).

Gislaved Nord Frost 5 - A better severe-weather winter tire than the DM-V1, but noticeably softer to drive. Since my winter commute is a lot of highway and the Rav4 is an SUV I'd like something with a stiffer sidewall (handling matters more with rollover risk). I would get these for a car, less highway driving, or a need to handle more serious or colder conditions (ie, you lived in the montains)...in those situations I think this would easily be a better tire than the DM-V1.

Nokian Hakkapellitta R - This seems like an exceptional tire for a lot of reasons, and is probably better than the DM-V1 (competition drivers say there's no comparison, though I'm not sure if they've used the DM-V1). However, the DM-V1 still has great reviews and costs less. These Hakka's were specially designed for low rolling resistance, and based on claims, should save you around 20 gallons of gas over the life of the tire...something that makes the cost easier to handle, especially considering the rave reviews. They also seem to be more environmentally conscious than other brands, and I'm likely going with these if I can find them for a decent price.

UPDATE: AT $30 more per tire for the Nokian Hakkapellitta R's (compared to the DMV1's) it's a tough pill to swallow, but that's a small premium to pay for what appears to be the best option for my environment, and all the things I am looking for. For the best price, check out Tire Factory (or a Nokian retail outlet, not just a dealer who has to order them). It looks like we may make these (or other Nokians) locally and this is the retail store. They were $25 less expensive than most other locations. Again, I made my decision based on softer deeper snow and less ice, which is different than the OP's environment

#14 ·
On our 09 we had the Michelin x ice for two seasons. I found they were so-so in snow and tread wear. The big issue for me and my wife was the feeling that you were on ice whenever the roads were wet. It was a very scary feeling when it appears that you are sliding when you are not. It meant that you were always going overly slow just in case. I have and still do use Michelin tires but did not like the x tires.

#15 ·
I was able to get a deal on 225/65/17 Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 this summer but but I have decided to sell them before even trying them on. I have decided get the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 instead. Now that winter is closing in I didn't feel like making a gamble on my family's safety. I have used Gislaved on my previous cars since 2006. I have tried the following winter tires: Nokian Hakkapellita 2, Dunlop Gaspic DS-2, Kumho KW11, Hankook W401, Goodyear Nordic and Michelin Arctic Alpin / X-ice, Continental, Cooper Weathermaster ST/2. Most of the mentioned tires are either really good on deep snow but bad on ice or really good on ice and bad on deep snow. I find the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 to be a better balanced tire. I just inflate them to 38psi for the added stability. Maximum inflation on the Gislaved Nordfrost 5 is 44psi.

#17 ·
I went with Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 on the OEM steel wheels. The way I understood it, the DM-V1 is for light trucks and SUVs - as in F150s, Sierras, Tundras, Tahoes, etc...

The RAV, while it is a small SUV or crossover or whatever you choose to call it, is not in the same weight class as those larger vehicles. The DM-V1 might be a little more tire than necessary. I know you can get DM-V1s with a weight load and speed rating appropriate to the RAV, but truck tires are truck tires - they like a little extra weight to make them work the way the designers intended.

Besides which, the price differential was about $35 per tire when I bought mine - not major, but I don't feel the need to fork over $140 extra dollars if I don't have to.

#18 ·
Just got my RAV Sport yesterday and I also ordered Blizzak WS70 at Costco on 17" multifit hubcentric steelies as I was quite satisfied with them on my previous vehicle; quieter than the all seasons at highway speed at an unbeatable price plus $70 instant rebate! Not available in 215/70/16, only DM-V1 which cost the same as 17" WS70 so no savings by going to 16", perhaps the steelies were cheaper but I really wanted WS70!

G
#19 ·
I've used Firestone Winterforce and Goodyear Nordic winter tires on my civic. Both good tires. The Firestones have a very aggressive design but I think I'd go with the Goodyears again. Haven't decided what I'm putting on the Rav4 yet.

#20 ·
Although I just purchased a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires for my RAV, I can't comment on their performance yet. But, I have been using Nexxen/Roadstone Eurowin winters on my 2010 Civic for two winters now. A very good tire at a considerable savings over the big name brands. Readily available at Walmart along with the Nexxen Winguard 231.

#21 ·
Any experience with Cooper Arctic Claw? Seeing a decent set of these on Craigslist but wouldn't buy without some sense of what I'd be getting into. I really want the Hakkapelliita R but they never come up used and I'd also like to save some cash if I could... those R's are not cheap.

Update: I'm seeing a review that's not so hot.
www.marathonauto.com/tires/snow-tire-ratings-reviews.html

Last month I did score a nice set of Gislaved Nord Frost for my Subaru but I don't expect to luck out again.

#23 ·
I bought the then-current Hakkapeliita for my 2005 prius, which needs all the help in can get in maximizing traction, three years ago and was very impressed at both its snow and dry road handling and traction. However, they wore very quickly, even for snow tires. I have run Gislavids in the past and had excellent results as well.

#24 ·
Probably a lot of variables- and different tires too...each "model" is different.
I bought a set of Nokian Hak "2" at Christmas 2004 for a brand new Subie Outback. (not made any more of course) I just sold them two weeks ago with 4/32" left on them. That's 8 winters! Car has 145K on it now so if Nov through Apr is 1/2 of the year...that's about 70K on those suckers! Not too bad. I was very happy with those. Loud and stiff- not a performer...but they did wonderfully in the snow and since I had them studded, naturally they were great on ice.

#25 ·
If you are dealing with serious snow and ice, then the Nokian 7's would probably be hard to beat. Studded General Arctic Alpines are also drawing some positive press for severe winter applications. Studs are hard to beat if the issue is ice. Note that winter tires tend to perform relatively poorly when you aren't on snow, e.g. wet and dry breaking, so do plan to adjust when you have spring/fall weather in mid-winter. Any winter tire will be a step up over most any all-season tire (possible exception: Nokian WR G2's).

Assuming you put them on their own wheels, expect most tire chains to require the TPMS system, or at least that's what I found here in Ohio (independents in my area do not require the sensors, and some chains will mount them to wheels as long as they do not put them on the car--you have to put on your own tires, but that might be a small price to pay for the $200+ you will spend for another set of sensors, not to mention having someone reset the TPMS system every time you switch between winter and summer tires).

This is late in the season for winter tires and the stock is thin in some locales; in Ohio the demand is not that great (most people relying on all-seasons or thinking that their FWD makes them invincible) so the numbers stocked by wholesalers are small. I could not find Michelin X-ices anywhere locally. However, most online sources (e.g. Tire Rack) will ship them directly to your local installer for you. Good luck with your new winter tire purchase all. I hope that next spring everyone will post what they think of them after a season of use!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.