Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New Recall Notice today

15K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  dtalk 
#1 ·
It's an Interim Notice concerning 2006 - early 2011 RAV4s.

"In the Rear Suspension Arm No. 1 Assembly ("arm"), if the nuts for adjusting the rear wheel alignment are not tightened following the proper procedure and torque specification when the vehicle alignment service is performed, rust may form on the arm. If this occurs, threads my wear, causing the arm to seperate, which could result in the loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash."

"If you experience an abnormal noise from the rear of the vehicle or if you previously had a 4-wheel alignment performed......make an appointment to have it inspected and/or replaced..."

The letter goes on to read: You will receive a second owner notification letter when the remedy is available.

Tom

#2 ·
Trying to tighten those nuts with a proper torq wrench is not going to be easy because majority of the auto mechanics dont have a open-end torque wrench. They only have a regular torq wrench that works with sockets only. I work in a pretty big shop and we also do alignment, and none of our mechanics has an open end torq wrench. I also work at a calibration company which i have seen a few open end torque wrenches that belongs to aircraft mechanics.

#4 ·
Trying to tighten those nuts with a proper torq wrench is not going to be easy because majority of the auto mechanics dont have a open-end torque wrench.
A well-equipped mechanic will have a set of crowfoot wrenches for just such an occasion:

#16 ·
I received mine today. They provide a booklet to keep in your glove box, and you are asked to make sure your "Alignment Professional" reviews it before starting any work.

The booklet contains the torque specs for tightening the various fasteners (41 lbf).

The really interesting thing, is that the torques specified are when using a torque wrench with a fulcrum length of 345mm (1.13 ft) and a SST (22 mm crowfoot wrench).

There is also a page that explains how adding the extra length of the SST changes the actual torque being applied to the fastener and the 41lbf is only correct for the torque wrench and SST described in the book.

The book also says that the Recall will not only examine the vehicle but will be clipping labels to the various fasteners to remind future mechanics about these precautions.

#18 ·
Here is a copy of the new Owners Manual Supplement.

The actual recall letter says that a Toyota dealer will inspect the rear suspension arm #1, and , where necessary, replace it with a new one at NO COST to customers.

It says on page #3 of the supplement, that as part of the remedy Caution Labels are being installed to help notify technicians performing a rear wheel alignment, of the importance of proper tightening procedures. This step makes it necessary to bring your RAV in to the dealer even if you have never had any alignment work performed.

Attachments

#19 ·
I e-mail my tire shop this PDF. He did not know about any recall and said they always get updates to the toque specs if there was any, yet I feel that they had none for this.

#23 ·
We just got the "remedy" for her car along with the recall for the driver's door switch. Guess I'll be headed to the dealer in Harlingen next week. Haven't received the remedy for mine yet. On second thought I'll call first to make sure they have the labels etc....it's a 60 mile round trip.

#26 ·
I was in and out in 30 minutes. The adjustment arm on the wife's Rav4 has never been touched so they stuck some stickers on the big arm, and put a metal clip with another warning sticker over the adjustment arms so that whoever works on the part next, knows/is warned as to what they will need to do.

Easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.