Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1999-2000 RAV4 Factory Rear Disk Brake Photos

14K views 47 replies 7 participants last post by  eodgator 
#1 ·
G'day folks, I decided to spend a bit of time getting pics of Blue's rear disks since info and photos of the setup are not all that common at the moment.

Enjoy!

Notice they use a drum in disk arrangement for the park brake, at first I thought it would be a lever on the caliper but obviously not!

Full Album : https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/+EdJones/albums/5943710782690247809

See less See more
Reactions: eodgator
#33 ·
Still looking. The mounting plate is to assemble this part, where the calipers go, am I correct?

Their was once this dude from England who had two RAV4, one 1995 and another, I can't remember the year, that adapted a Rotora brake kit from a Mini Cooper to his RAV4. He place that plate adapter dimensions on the forum. (But I think it was the second update they gave to this forum. BTW, there have been three update to this forum, unfortunately, all the data in those previous versions was lost)

Attachments

#34 ·
This is the part I'm referring to listed in the illustration as 46503 and 46504. It is the backing plate for the overall brake system. Your drum brake backing plate will not work.

You will also need parking brake shoes, parking brake parts kit, parking brake wheel cylinder.

This link is for a 03-05 RAV4

Toyota 03 05 RAV4 Rear Brakes Brake Backing Plate 4704342030 | eBay

Attachments

#36 · (Edited)
The majority of those parts Rack Auto has them. Though I did see the plate. But is their another Toyota brake plate like from an MR2, Corolla, Sienna, etc that can be used instead of the one needed?
Toyota reuses the same parts over and over on different models, so one those may work. The backing plate is key to the whole mod, it must mount properly or it's useless, possibly dangerous to try to use a backing plate that doesn't match properly.

Other parts to consider, the proportioning valve may have to be replaced, and the master cylinder. See the link for info on the brakes.

https://rav4gtt.wordpress.com/brakes/

#39 ·
Their should be. I once saw one for Chevrolet at a local garage. Since I'm Latin, is the words correctly used ("Toyota Cross Reference") in this search. Why I ask? Well, If I translate it to Spanish and give it a go on the net, in Latin speaking counties, it might spring up. :nerd

#40 · (Edited)
So the run down goes like this:
- Backing Plates
- Drum Parking Brake Assemblies
- Drum Brake Pads
- Rotors
- Brake Pads
- Brake Shims
- Brake Calipers
- Brake Calipers Brackets
- Parking Brake Cables (may not need them as stock cable compatibility has not been confirm)

I'll write a post up on my website as soon as I can but note Ive sold my Rav4 so I don't have a way to confirm these parts work.

#41 · (Edited)
So the run down goes like this:
- Backing Plates
- Drum Parking Brake Assemblies
- Drum Brake Pads
- Rotors
- Brake Pads
- Brake Shims
- Parking Brake Cables (may not need them as stock cable compatibility hasn't yet to be confirm)

I'll write a post up on my website as soon as I can but note Ive sold my Rav4 so I don't have a way to confirm these parts work.
So I heard you sold your RAV4. How much did you sell it for, if I can ask? Have you written anything else on your web site regarding RAV4.1.

#44 ·
OK, the list, plus the calipers has been established. I'm hunting for parts number. One question, the year that all these parts came was 2004-2005. Am I correct? I think Rock Auto has them. I'll go to ToyoDIY.com for part # and I'll make a list of them. Wish me luck guys.:nerd

#47 ·
This is what's available at Rock Auto using the 2005 model year as a reference. I didn't check the 2004 model. I guess this is a short cut but I think its more then this, much more parts. The parts that are missing will nickel and dime you to death. But so is having too much HP and not be able to stop it. :nerd

- Backing Plates (didn't see)
- Drum Parking Brake Assemblies $15.00-$19.00 each
- Drum Brake Pads $18.38
- Rotors $21.00-$79.00 (depending on which one you pick)
- Brake Pads $9.77 (one side)
- Brake Shims $13.25
- Parking Brake Cables (didn't see)
- Calipers $41.79 to $101.79 (exchange)

The parts that didn't show up I guess at my local Salvage yard they might have them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.