Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Another Upgrade, Brakes!

6K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  mensajero 
#1 ·
For some time I've been looking at RAV4 GT-T | Welcome to my Gen4 3sgte powered SXA10! Brake system among other things. Since I’m getting rid of some students’ loans and what not. I've decided to upgrade my front brake system. Why? Well, once you have trained your vehicle. You observe that more is better. More speed, but also, more stopping power needed. :wink

So, since I'm piling up the parts again for speed (that is a secret) I eventually have to train this one again. So, stopping power is a must. I’ve already send for the Celica Brackets. Needless to say, eventually I’ll send for the Avalon calipers, and front discs (slotted). When everything is in, I’ll post pictures and when they are getting installed also. Keep Ravin, i've never stopped. :wink

mensajero :nerd

#2 ·
Angel, your wife must be a very patient woman! :)

#3 ·
I guess I'm truly blessed. My wife is Mexican. My dad has been a very successful business man and he has rented all of them, being gas stations. My wife runs a women’s dress shop. I teach high school and as a university professor on the evenings, Saturdays and summers. One son, in fourth year of college. Yes, you can say I’m bless. Bless with a lot of work. That is why a lot of the work on my RAV4 is done by other people. I don’t have time. I can buy the parts, but install them. Almost never.

This is me graduating from my MA in 2008. I also am having some extra income in photography. https://www.flickr.com/photos/123832384@N05/

#4 ·
Brakes are only as good as the amount of friction the tyres will take on the road surface. If you can lock up your wheels at 80mph, then why do you need more powerful brakes? Pointless if the tyres let go first.

90mph or 100 + on red hot slicks, different story and everyone needs an upgrade - like 4 pot calipers and massive diameter discs that will not only lock the wheels at a ton plus, but will be resistant to brake fade.

Only if you are going to race, rally or do extreme downhill, may it be worthwhile, to me it's a waste of time and dosh to upgrade what is a perfectly adequate and safe braking system.

You can have the most powerful brakes in the world, but it wont reduce your stopping distances unless the rubber is able to grip the tarmac beyond what your standard road or all terrain tyres will permit.

If anyone thinks more powerful brakes will stop you quicker then I'd be really be interested to hear your theories.

My 2c.

Bob

#5 ·
OK Bob..................................:serious
[FONT=&quot]I use my RAV4 for rallies (TSD) and going to and from work or campus. I'm always in a hurry. I guess my life style is a little hectic. If you read above you’ll know what I mean. BTW, more power is going under the hood, soon. :wink[/FONT]

#6 ·
another good upgrade. cant wait for the finished pictures

#11 ·
i have a tenant problem as well. and this lady was a good lady, but now she has some problems. dont know what happened

#14 ·
There are also areas on the island that some downhill are quite long. They even have an emergency ramp. Signs saying; "Check Brakes". That is one of the reasons why I'm doing the Avalon upgrade. Many people who upgrade Novas, Challengers, Chevy 57, upgrade to disc brakes. Yes, they are heavier vehicles.

#16 ·
Step one done; Acquisition of the Celica 95-99 Brake Brackets

Nice, so you're going with the twin pot Avalon calipers rather than the single pot Celica GT's? Do you already have the required 25mm wheel spacers? And what pads and rotors?

It will be great to see how all this goes for you and if all the extra unsprung weight you've added affects the handling over bumpy roads and terrain.

#19 ·
I think we were discussing disk upgrades at some point but could not find a supplier with all the parts? or was that somebody else?
I posted pics of my Bluey RAV's rear disk setup at the time.

#20 ·
The mate to watch for the rear disc brake setup is Steve at his blog here. He is a very capable mechanic and he has the knowhow and the inside information regarding Toyota. Which parts can he used together regardless of year and model. A big thumbsup for this mate. :thumbs_up:

#21 ·
Great project!, thanks for the link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.