Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Possible 6x9 speaker location in rear. Advice wanted

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mensajero 
#1 ·
2000 Rav4 5-door AWD

I picked up some Cerwin Vega mobile HED 6x9 speakers to replace the factory dead ones. At the moment I think using the stowage compartments on the side walls is the easiest option. But after searching I found nobody installing them in the rear door so that they face forward. Is it too shallow to surface mount there or what issues would I run into there? The location of the factory speakers baffles me. Low and small. Installing better speakers in the factory location seems counter productive. Pictures and advice would be greaatly appreciated.

If I install in the side compartments, I plan to buy some sheets of ABS plastic to mount the speakers and cut to mimic the compartment doors. Hit it with gray paint and port the compartment for air movement.

#2 ·
Factory speaker position isn't great is it? Just lucky that 5 doors have larger front speakers than the 3 doors.

The adapter mounts for the rear say they will fit 6"x9" speakers in, but after buying the adapters and some 6.5" speakers, there is little room for them, so not sure on 6"x9" that way.

Inside the rear door may be possible, there are a few obstables back there though - rear wiper motor, washer jet, plugs, relay and wiring, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.