Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

transfer box oil change

22K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  bjw970s 
#1 ·
I have done a search and am still unclear and need some help as I am doing a complete fluid change.

Have decided to use 75W/90 Semi synthetic GL5 all round

Diff oil - changed after some time freeing off plugs - full service history doesn't mean the extra oil fluids!

Transfer box drain plug - found. Fill plug? not sure.

Gearbox - clear from Haynes should be able to find it.

So, does a manual Rav 4.1 have a shared fluid fill point for transfer box and gearbox?

Can't find pics..

views welcome

#2 ·
I'm looking to do fluids changes at the moment too. From what I read on here you have rear diff with one fill and one drain plug and the gearbox/transfer/front diff all in one, so they share the same fill point - which would explain why people have bought 5 litres to do gearbox

#3 ·
That's the conclusion I drew as well but, I am puzzled as to why there are 2 drain plugs (1 for the gearbox and 1 for the transfer box) and one fill point.

The hybrid HAYNES manual is the worst I have ever seen with mk1 and mk2 picture interchanged at random with no real info on the transfer box piece.

I am very comfortable with a range of mechanics jobs which is why i bought the RAV4 as I could get back to working on a car as it is reassuringly straight forward in a number of areas. Shame the manual is poor....

#8 ·
After going through the diagrams and lists, it's as we thought:

gearbox/transfer/diff - two drain one fill
rear diff - one drain one fill

I'm making a list of part numbers for plugs and washers, should anyone be interested. Bare in mind these are part numbers for UK models, whether European or American part numbers vary, I don't know.

#10 ·
Now I'm not so sure.

Toyota owner's manual says:

Manual Transaxle
Oil capacity - 5.0 litres
Oil Type - Multipurpose gear oil API GL-5
Recommended oil viscosity - SAE 75W-90
Transfer
(vehicles with an automatic transaxle)
Oil capacity - 0.7 litres
Oil type - Multipurpose gear oil API GL-5
Recommended oil viscosity - SAE 75W-90
Rear Differential
Oil capacity - 0.9 litres
Oil type - Hypoid gear oil API GL-5
Recommended oil viscosity:
Above -18°C SAE 90
Below -18°C SAE 80W or 80W-90

Haynes manual says:

Manual transmission
Oil capacity - 5.0 litres
Oil Type - API GL-5
Oil viscosity - SAE 75W-90 gear oil
Transfer case (4wd models)
Oil capacity - 0.7 litres
Oil type - API GL-5 SAE
Oil viscosity:
Above -18°C - 90 or 85W-90 hypoid gear oil
Below -18°C - 80W or 80W-90 hypoid gear oil
Rear differential (4wd models)
Oil capacity - 0.9 litres
Oil type - API GL-5 SAE
Oil viscosity:
Above -18°C - 90 hypoid gear oil
Below -18°C - 80W or 80W-90 hypoid gear oil

The Toyota owner's manual says that transfer oil only applies to automatics, which explains the single fill plug, but dual drain plugs.

Haynes however seem to say that the transfer case fluid is a case of 2wd or 4wd, rather than manual or automatic, so that points the finger at there being two fill plus and two drain plugs - I did find a possible fill plug on the Toyota diagrams "PLUG, NO.1 (FOR TRANSFER CASE) 90341-2200" and "GASKET, NO.1 (FOR TRANSFER CASE) 90430-22002" this is directly above the drain plug on the transfer case (on the opposite side obviously). It isn't named as a fill plug like other fill plugs. Automatics have the dipstick on the trasnfer case to check the level, this doubles up as the fill point too. The Haynes manual says "Remove the drain plug(s)" in the guide to transmission oil, this also has a photo showing one drain plug and one fill plug, but when it comes to the guide for transfer case oil, which again, it states "4wd models" there is no photo.

#11 ·
After trawling through the Toyota workshop manual, I have come up with some interesting information:

"CHECKING FLUID LEVEL

Transmission/Transaxle (All Models)

Remove filler plug from side of transmission/transaxle. Fluid should be level with bottom edge of filler plug hole. If fluid is low, fill with proper type fluid until fluid is level with filler plug opening. See

RECOMMENDED FLUID . Reinstall filler plug.

Transfer Case (RAV4, Tacoma, Tundra & 4Runner)

Remove filler plug located on rear of transfer case. Fluid should be level with bottom edge of filler plug hole. If fluid is low, fill with proper type fluid until fluid is level with filler plug opening. See RECOMMENDED FLUID . Reinstall filler plug."

So there Toyota are saying transmission and transfer case do infact have seperate filler plugs. They go on to say they do both use the same oil type as mentioned above, with 5.0 litres in the transmission and that "Individual transfer case capacity is not available. Total capacity of transmission and transfer case are listed." No mention of drains plugs, but we've already established there are two.

So there we have it they do share oil, but there are also two fill plugs, although no one seems to have realised this before.

#13 ·
So there we have it they do share oil, but there are also two fill plugs, although no one seems to have realised this before.
There aren't 2 fill plugs, just the 1 as was originally stated - well certainly not on mine (a 1999 4.1, 2.0ltr manual). Autos are almost bound to be different as the transmission needs ATF.

coupi, which Rav do you have? It's all well and good reading the manuals but we all know that the Haines manual is inaccurate, better to give real life information.

#12 ·
there are two drain plugs one for transfer box and one for gear box on the 4.1, i can say without a doubt there is only one filler plug for the transfer box and gearbox located on the front of the box.lots of swearing an unnecessary walk and several phone calls to find out :) Its the 4.2 that has seperate filler plugs ( and possibly the auto box but cant say 100% on that)

#14 ·
I tested the shared transmission/transfer case oil reservoir theory the last time I changed that oil. After draining I put the transmission drain plug back in but left the transfer drain plug out and pumped oil into the fill hole until oil began to come out the transfer drain. I put that plug back in and continued filling until it came level with the fill hole. I think it took a tad over 5 quarts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.