Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Daytime Running Lights

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  anarchyracing 
#1 ·
OK, I am looking at the wiring diagram for the '97 RAV4 (mine is the FWD 5 door), and is there an easier way to patch in to have the lights on when the key is in the run or start position than tying in to the red/blue wire coming off what is labeled as the generator? this is the same circuit the reverse lights are on, and I would be adding an inline fuse to protect the new LED driving lights.

I will need to study the diagrams a lot more to figure out how to add an extra circuit that is on only with the key in run or start to add at least 1 more 12 volt port for my sons DVD player (vital on long trips) and for adding in a few USB charging ports

#2 ·
im curious to know more about this as well, actually what i was hoping to accomplish is to change the daytime running lights from the low watt headlight circuit that comes factory, and change it to run the forward park lights, effectively making my amber park lights my daytime running lights. is the circuit for the daytime running lights something you can hook into a different bulb? (sorry to hijack!)

#3 ·
Hmmm.......... I'm working on this as well. I wish I had a better wiring diagram but will probably have to figure it out by poking around under the hood. The diagram in the Haynes manual shows a running light relay but I don't have that circuit in my '97 two door. If I get it figured out, I'll post what I found....after I come back from my trip.....

#4 ·
I have the lights mounted and all the supplies I need to tap into the wiring, so I should know by Sunday evening if I succeed or not. I will take pictures as I go in case I did choose right. A minor complication is that my alternator is testing weak, so I will need to replace it soon, this means I want to see if I can splice in after the circuit ties into the wiring harness.

Rob in Arizona, where it is no longer a dry heat.

#5 ·
Got the lights installed on Saturday, tapping into the Yellow wire coming off of the Alternator (marked Generator in the wiring diagram) has them working when the engine is running. Ran the ground wire to where the left side engine hook ground wire connects to the the body near the strut.

Lights don't seem as bright as I thought they would be, but I still need to drive at night on something less illuminated as a busy freeway to see how well they work as driving lights,

Rob in pretty dang warm Arizona (if you call it hot before it gets to 110, you run out of things to call it if it hits 122 again)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.