Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Two words; IT'S NO

8K views 63 replies 7 participants last post by  Aussie50 
#1 · (Edited)
Two words; IT'S ON

Need a new passenger side boot. New set of Toyota Brake pads. A new clutch cable ($ ouch:doh:). Oh well, since we are at it, I just might as well go the entire 99.9 yards.

BTW, recently, the son of my neighbor graduated from a leading mechanic school. Mec-Tech, guess which vehicles are his specialization, Yep, RAV4. He has already a list of clients. Their is already a waiting list.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
"AND THE HITS JUST KEEP ON COMING IN", Part II

Both Clutch cables were trashed. Two new once, in tomorrow. :doh: They'll be blotting up the HD oil pump and passenger side boot. The clutch and engine mounts. :doh::doh: and the last think tomorrow would be instal those two cables.

To tell you the truth. you can see the quality in a small vehicle. I've hammered this RAV4, and I mean HAMMERED it. I knew these things were in these condition. Cost until now?

04438GBOOT KIT, FRONT DRIVE SHAFT INBOARD JOINT, RH $68.28

Zoom Clutch Summit racing $230.97

ENGINE MOUNTING, REAR 12371A 12371-74461 $71.32

INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, FRONT(FOR TRANSVERSE ENGINE) 12361A 12361-74340 $67.42

PUMP ASSY, OIL about 15100 15100-74050 $150.00

plus mechanic fees. :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Oh, BTW, the two cables are a little expensive. That CC is screaming for mercy.

I

#6 ·
Oh, BTW, the two cables are a little expensive. That CC is screaming for mercy.
Why are there TWO clutch cables?

#8 ·
Well, at 6:30PM, we've called it a day. Tired, filthy hands, and a lot of work still to go. But tomorrow, my mechanic along with his son, are on their own. I got to get to work. Tomorrow, the cables will be in, I hope before 12 noon. I'll be test driving about 3PM, I hope :roll:. The bill is getting more or less to $500.00. :shock: (yeah, I said the same.) BTW, that is for parts only, labor is extra, a big extra. :doh:

But man, its the first time I go into the engine since 1996. The rest was superficial labor.

Adding to the bill. Amsoil trans-axle oil (4Qts) with 3 qts of Quaker State oil 5W-30 and one Lucas oil stabilizer. Both oil coolers (engine and trans-axle) were retained.

#12 ·
A little problem. My mechanic found a very little and very very thin piece of square metal (I think it's aluminum BTW, it was thinner then aluminum foil) in the crank. Am I looking at new bearings also? Is this common in 3SFE? The rest was fine. Should I be looking for another engine?

#13 ·
Today after work I went around the garage. No one was their. So I went over to check on my RAV4. It had the battery inside the car. TRD Short Shifter was great, like new. Very short shift and solid shifts, both cables are new. Clutch was strong, Brakes were high. Engine mounts, also new. It had new oil inside the crank. But no one to charge me. Since its next door from my house, I can wait. oh parts, Pass $300.00 a long time ago. :roll: :doh:

Attachments

#14 ·
IT'S NO?????

Just wondering what your title has to do with all these repairs. :confused:

#15 ·
IT'S NO????? Just wondering what your title has to do with all these repairs. :confused:
That's what he said when his wife told him to sell the RAV! :kiss

#18 ·
Another slight set back :doh: :roll:. Looks like the Oil/Trans-axle hose called it a career. :lol: They were leaking for some time know, but is was oh so slightly. Looks like with the movement of the thrashing engine and trans-axle.

The engine fired up like a rocket, no problem at all. But once I went around to take a look at the engine, I notice a leak shooting out of the engine oil cooler hose. I just shout it down. looks like the HI-Performance oil pump is working properly. :smile

#19 ·
This morning, I went over to my neighbors garage and recovered some left over parts that, to my knowledge, are unusable. The shifter cables were toast, as you can see. I sat on the drivers seat and shifted the TRD Short Shifter and it was great. with minimum movement of the shifter the gears entered great. Today, I'm going to see if I can find the Oil Cooler hose I need at Pep Boys. If not, Summit Racing can have one here by Wednesday.

Attachments

#20 ·
Christ, :roll: like always, people here thing that the rest of the population are stupid. In other words, "How can I make a fast buck" I tell the dude. Its a custom hose for an oil cooler Derale oil cooler.

They start asking; What year, model, is it from OEM? You know, the old run around because they don't have it. But they want to sell what they have, NOT what you need. WTH is wrong with this idiot?:mad: Let me see their is a store here called "La Casa del Tornillo". ("The house of nuts and bolts") Lets see if these dudes can help. :roll:

#23 ·
I never would have guessed that getting a simple rubber oil hose in PR would be that difficult!

#25 ·
After asking some of my students (school started today here). They told me of a guy who has a business that the only thing they do is sell high pressure hoses.:roll: Its about a five minute drive from my house. This afternoon, before my evening jog, I went over to have a look. Sure enough, the business is establish for quite some time and it look like its expanding. Tomorrow I'll go over to see if he can help. If so, I'll just buy the hose. Just to have my RAV4 rolling. But, I'm planing to upgrade the oil cooler hose system. :wink

#26 ·
Have you tried Torres Hydraulics in Orocovis? Going towards El Gato from Town. I'm sure Memo can make you a hose...

#28 ·
BTW, I've place a request on Summit Racing to see if i can upgrade the hose system to Russell. I already have the cooler. The question was, what do i need. The problem is to install reliable hoses. With a hi-volume oil pump. I hope it can hold until I can install some better hoses like these. I'll post the answer here.

Attachments

#29 ·
I had to look into this Lucas Oil Stabilizer stuff after it kept coming up in convo, I actually have a bottle of it that I used to oil the chain on moms lawn tractor years ago, its like honey, way thicker than gear oil. just how much do you add to the sump of your engine?

It seems like a last resort for a really noisy engine or diff, rather than something that should be run in a good engine with tight tolerances, the oil pump will struggle to push it through at low temps.

#30 ·
One Lucas oil stabilizer is equal to one quart of oil. So, when you're changing your motor oil just add three 5W-30 (?) and one Lucas EOS. It's like an STP for your engine.

Regarding noise. THAT is why I'm changing to my HD 3SFE oil pump. (which BTW it's already installed) That engine noise has always driven me crazy. I think, once the engine is burning oil. Which BTW, the 3SFE engine is notoriously known for. It starts to starve the engine upper head valve train. With the oil cooler, and HD oil pump. It will be able to do more oil in its system. All the oil that is running in the hoses and oil cooler radiator will help to store more oil. A long time ago, a lot of the old RAV4 world member wrote about this situation. One remedy was a larger oil pan. Which, at that time (and still) no one makes a larger oil pan for the 3SFE engine. Unless you get a larger one from the 3SGTE engine. DO they sell one, I doubt it. Or at least I've never seen one. The 3SGTE OEM oil pan has an rather large hose out let for the turbo oil return system. I know, I have one. If anyone want to see it. I can post a picture. Oh well, here goes. As you can see it's basically the same size. I was wondering, has anyone tried to make a larger oil pan for the 3SFE engine?

Attachments

#32 ·
Damn, looking at that picture above. The 3SGTE larger oil pan. I have an extra 3SGTE oil pan. The only thing is that is has a trap door to keep the oil pickup submerged in oil when hard cornering. >:D Look interesting. Let me get some closeup shoots of it. I have it in my garage. Well, I make the Ultra Race suspension pipes. :wink

#33 ·
If you've been following my post. I still have in the garage some parts. (NO I DON'T SELL THEM) The Bomex Rear Wing. the 3SGTE oil pan. The turbo, the inter-cooler etc. etc. etc. :lol:

Observe, the 3SGTE pan is slightly different to the 3SFE engine, I THINK. Question: Do you think that this 3SGTE oil pan can be enlarged? As you can see above. The 3SGTE Moroso oil pan is too expensive ($423.27 plus shipping ouch). I mean, that's for racing. I just want to have some fun moving swiftly on the curvy roads of PR.

Is the oil pickup of the 3SFE engine the same as the 3SGTE engine?

Attachments

#35 ·
UPDATE: I went to other places on the island and like always. everyone want to sell what they got. NOT what I needed. Some were thinner, some where larger. I could not take a chance on buysing a hose the will fail and leave me on the side of the road without oil. :frown

Buc23 suggests an auto parts that specializes in hoses. But its about an hour and a half from my home. I've started to work this week. I get out from work after 3:00PM. By the toime I was going to get there, I didn't want me to find that the store was closes like it already happen to me yesterday. But THANKS Buc23. (Gracias papa)

So I went to Summit who sells the exact hose, THEE exact hose. While I was there, I saw something that interested me. I guess eventually I will remedy and evade this situation for next time. A Russell hose kit with fittings and all hoses, interesting :wink.

Delivery(?), I guess it will be here on Tuesday PM. Meaning that the agony will end on Wednesday. I hope the high flowing oil pump doesn't pop the hose from its place. I've also taken the precaution of protect the two hose coming from the filter side. I've ordered DEI Reflect-A-Cool Heat Shields.
I'll cover both hoses to protect them from the heat of the header. Even though it has DEI rap around it. I notice the the old hoses were like, not rubbery, but more like toasted rubber. (?) Stay Tuned. :wink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.