Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

thinking of putting 6x9's in rear

7K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Coult45 
G
#1 ·
as the title mentions....

I was thinking of putting them in the stow away area just above the stock speaker locations in the rear

the space on my drivers side is empty but i'd have to find somewhere to put the jack tools on the passenger side

do you guys think it can be done?
i'm more worried about the panel's rattling than fitting the speaker in there

G
#2 ·
You should be able to do it. I would reccomend swapping out the doors to those compartments though, try using either plexiglass or fiberglass. I say the plex cause than its clear :wink: Put a mirror or some neons behind it....yeah....designer....

I was actually lookin at puttin 2 5inch Focal subs in there....not very powerful, but should do the trick in somethin as small as the Rav. Good luck with that, and lets see some pics of your finished product.

G
#3 ·
yea I was definately going to get rid of the doors

plexi would be an awesome way to go
do you know if I can find some plexi sheets (1/4inch thick or less) at the local hardware store?

if so how hard is it to cut plexi

G
#4 ·
You may be able to find it at the local hardware store, but there is actually a better local supplier, glass shops. They have scraps and stuff, so go there, comes in all kinds of sizes, price ranges, and the likes.

As for cutting, here it gets tricky. Being a bit of a computer modder, I have been reading up on this (although I have not yet cut my own). The biggest problem seems to be melting the plex. Yeap, mealting. If u use a saw or dremel, you need to be careful not to do it to fast or it melts, looks fugly, and well, doesn't work as well. Basic idea, very low RPM. Some people use a score and snap method, once again, can't vouche cause I am yet to work with it. If you go hunting some computer modding forums there are tutorials out there for it.

Another concern with the plex is scratching. Plex scratches really easy, so when cutting, cover it with tape, allowing only the area that you are cutting to be exposed.

my only question, how are you securing it? You still want it to be removable in case the speaker blows or somethin like that.

G
#5 ·
i need to be able to screw it into the plexi, i dunno if thats the best way to go but i'll have to drill holes in the plexi and use self tapping screws,

this should be just enought to hold them good bass

the plexi can be screwed to the plastic panel from the back

G
#6 ·
You can dril directly through it. Like I said, low rpms! Drill first, don't use self tapping. It should work just fine. Interested in how this turns out. How soon u gonna do it?

BTW, what company u gonna use for the 6x9s?

G
#7 ·
i have had 6x9 infinity kappa speakers in the storage bins for about 4yrs. took the doors off made a pattern and figured out a way to mount them without ruining the panels. anytime i want to take them out, i can go back to the factory look and you wouldn't know the 6x9s had ever been there.

G
#8 ·
rooster

are the kappas deep? do they bump the back at all?
i was prolly gonna use infinity reference series
cuz i have some in my old altima and they sound amazing

and if i do this it will be in the next month or so not right away

G
#10 ·
Rooster b said:
i have had 6x9 infinity kappa speakers in the storage bins for about 4yrs. took the doors off made a pattern and figured out a way to mount them without ruining the panels. anytime i want to take them out, i can go back to the factory look and you wouldn't know the 6x9s had ever been there.
Are they the regular Kappas or the Kappa Perfects? If you need any help with anything car audio I can help. I do competitions and stuff.

#12 ·
So my daughter has a Rav4 99 5 door and she destroyed the rear speakers. I picked up a pair of Cerwin vegas 6x9 and plan to install them in the rear side storage area. If you want to use something other than the factory doors, you can buy ABS sheet plastic on ebay for about $10 (2- 20"x10"). ABS is the black plastic they use in the engine compartments for engine covers and radiator shrouds. Its tough stuff and once you shape it, you can spray it with interior vinyl paint to match the interior. Plexi is difficult to cut and will shatter if abused. In my case, I plan to use the factory doors and support the door cutout with thin plywood like luan 1/8" thick, secure it with blind nuts from behind to support the factory door. I will start a DIY on it once I get started.

* whats frustrating here is the lack of photos in threads talking about diy projects. show your work so we can all learn from it.

thx

#13 ·
* whats frustrating here is the lack of photos in threads talking about diy projects. show your work so we can all learn from it.

thx
That and guest posters.
Guys, it's not hard to create an account and log in, please don't be part of the CBA gang, make some effort, these posts could read by internationally interested people.

#15 ·
A couple of years ago I did a purge of old users who had not even visited the forum in 5 years or more. Those users will show up as a guest.

#16 ·
Time to report back. I just installed the 6x9 speakers and decided to install them under the sidewalls in the original speaker location. They will fit under the interior wall. That said, I had to cut out some of the sheet metal to allow for the bigger speaker. The good news is that it can be done with tin snips. The sheet metal is very soft and thin, so it cuts fairly easy. Once the speaker was situated, I drilled small pilot holes in the sheet metal and attached the speakers with screws. I used a multimeter to determine which wire from the harness was positive. In the passenger side the red harness wire was positive. Sorry, but I cant recall which it was on the drivers side. On the passenger side the mounting depth was roughly 2" because of a second parallel sheet metal reinforcement. I simply cut an opening an inch bigger than the magnet to fit the speaker in the opening fully.

The sound is certainly better but the small 6" factory grill is stopping some of the sound from getting out. I will end up cutting side wall to the full 6x9 size speaker and attaching the speaker grill to wall over the speaker.

#17 ·
I looked far and wide and this is the only picture I could find of a 6x9 in a 5 door 4.1 rav4

I've follow d your idea, made a template and realized a Dremel is taking too long and will buy a pair of tin snips to finish the job. I plan on putting in an amp and running power to some upgraded front speakers and these new 6x9s. Exciting!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.