First DIY Rear Differential Fluid Change (w/ Pics) - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuadorche
this thread needs to be stickied mods, i used this and it was very helpful
thank you. reminds me, Im due to change mine now lol

Stephen L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 PM

I just changed my transfer case oil and differential oil this weekend. Thanks for providing all the great info. It was helpful.

I found the transfer case to be much more accessible than the diff. I did not notice any of the plugs being reverse threaded however?!

Also, I bought the little hand pump for the oil bottle. It's slow but neat and tidy. I used the same viscosity for front and rear even though Toyota says slightly different specs (75 90 rear and 80 90 front). I wonder if this could cause any problems with limited slip or ?

I re-used the washers, again not following the rules exactly, but my local parts shop could not come up with the part or even find them in their catalogs... No leak, no foul.

I had a very difficult time getting the torque wrench to the upper plug on the transfer case so I simply did it by feel after memorizing how the other plugs felt.

On the transfer case I had to remove the rear part of the plastic air foil thing under the motor to get good access. I couldn't figure out how to remove it w/o breaking the silly little plastic connectors so I'm off to the dealer to replace those.

The one thing I wonder about these gear boxes is; how often are they even used? Do they only kick in when the front wheels start to slip? If so, they must be used only about 1% of the time even in my snowy locale...It surprises me that the oil could be so dirty if this is the case.
#13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Pabloson, you wish you had limited slip differential. VERY few RAV4's have them.
And since the differentials work 100% of the time, the limited slip would also wear out in the long run. But the limited slip capability (which would cost about 3K US dollars to implement) is indeed very seldom needed. Only in difficult circumstances, so mainly in countries with very harsh winters, or with many poor quality roads/ dirt roads/ lots of water crossings.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 05:06 PM

Garage
nice write up.. my question is when am i suppose to change the fluid?? currently have 08 sport I4 with 45K miles. thanks.
#15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Each 60K miles it is recommended to be replaced.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 AM

^^x2! I will be doing mine tomorrow. Did my transfer case 2 weeks ago, seeing a steady 2 mpg average increase!
#17 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 AM

Another excellent post. I followed this yesterday, including the advice from many others on how to remove the stuck fill plug FIRST. Mine was STUCK SOLID. Overnight soaking with penetrating oil+ WD40 throughout the day eventually solved the problem, but I had the blow torch and dust off spray ready to hand. Removing the fill plug requires a long 10mm hex driver, rather than the short one that I bought and then returned. The short size fouls the socket part of the driver on the diff case, whereas the long one keeps that away from the case. One piece of advice I now need relates to the amount of fluid being required is 0.9 litres. I ended up putting the full litre in as it did not overflow and I was squeezing from a high position. Today I thought I would remove the excess and so removed the fill plug. There was no overflow and the car is level on ramps. I checked the breather valve seemed oK and left it. Will this extra fluid cause problems?

The level of detail in this original post is seriously appreciated. Well done .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page