Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

V6 3VZfe Rav4.1 - Build Thread

28K views 71 replies 12 participants last post by  mensajero 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you know, I've been slowly chipping away at this conversion for a while now, and I thought I'd let you know what has been going on.

Firstly, a few pics of the process:

See less See more
#68 ·
Yep she's all good... back for more work again as I was able to get an A/C unit from a camry so the front is off again while I do that... No rush with this job as the high pressure hoses from the rav aren't long enough I will have to come up with something... Pics will follow when the job is finally done..

#69 ·
As long as you document everything and then post a step by step DIY. It would be great with picture and what happen during this odyssey. I think it hasn't been easy pocket wise and emotionally wise. These types of project take a lot out of a person with everyday problems and more coming up as time goes on. These we call "Bugs". Drive on Mate!

#70 ·
Hey guys, I've been doing a fast track build over the past couple months - wife is getting a little annoyed that it's not back on the road yet. I've done a bit of a writeup on the transmission side of things for mine at Rav4 3VZ V6 Conversion however I've run out of time to update it as I'm flat strap on it.

R00BZ... I'm catching up to you mate! I've now got the engine in. I ended up using a "RA Hilux" master clutch cylinder - Ebay $24 - which is much shorter and fits snug behind the manifold with decent clearance. Also, here's some drawings for the engine to transfer case mount & some pics of it - not sure if you did anything here, but I didn't like the idea of the only mount for the transfer case being the gearbox.

If you make that, or get it fabricated up, you can slide it in between the transfer case & engine & just bolt it in without even removing the CV shafts, however there's also a little steel spigot near the top right hole that has to be removed, or a hole drilled in the plate there to go over it.

You've been a great source of info R00BZ! Cheers Mate! When I find some more time I'll update my blog with the engine rebuild & install.

#71 ·
Well, after finishing renovating my house and moving on to building a new one, the Rav was also on the move and had to choose this time to cause me grief.... Unfortunately, after this long it has developed a vibration isssue from the crank/flywheel/clutch area. :-( So we are off the road for the moment...

Lucky for me I also have a Gas guzzling 4.0L Jeep TJ Wrangler so until the Rav is fixed it will be my daily driver. While the motor and box is out I'll also be doing a few modifications to make this truck a bit more off-road oriented, throwing some new tyres on and giving the paint a freshen up. Hopefully over the next few months I'll be able to share some more pics as the work happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.