Ultimate Suspension some home made - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ultimate Suspension some home made

I did this some years ago. But someone told me that my pictures were out dated, so I removed them. But, then I've received numerous request to post pictures and information. OK, my RAV4 is old. But a well setup suspension will really give another meaning to the words "Fun to Drive".

For who is this? Remember you should always prepare your RAV4 for the area that you live. If you live in a rural area, install parts and setup accordingly. If you are a TSD Rally racer (like me), Drag racer (turbo should be the way to go), Rock claimer, Mud runner, etc.

Were I live, in the mountains of PR. Their are a lot of curves, like a snake.

This is for the RAV4.1, yes, but you RAV4.2,.3 can try this. It works great.

Their is one things that should be done which is inexpensive and will really solidify your suspension. Change all your suspension bushings. But it will be a little harder ride on your RAV4.

Part Numbers: Energy Suspension part numbers 96-98 (from the old catalog)
1. Front End Control Arm Bushing Set 8.3113
2. Rear End Control Arm Bushing Set 8.3114
3. Rear Axle Bump Stop Set (if needed) 9.9135
4. Complete Front Sway Bar Bushing Set 25mm 9.5129
5. Tie Rod Boots 9.13101
6. Rear Coil Spring Isolator Set 9.6101

These are very inexpensive. If I'm not mistaken, about $75.00 the entire set. Oh, BTW, be sure to ask for Red color bushings. They look cool. That is an entire weekend of work. Some are extremely hard to install, but they come with grease, you'll need it. I'd advice to take them to a pro mechanic. But after that, I've never had to align my RAV4 again, ever. Even though I check, the dude always says "The alignment is perfect".

You will need a set of Sport Shock and Struts. (watch out you insert 98, while you are at it, change the entire setup) I installed Bilstein and I've never needed nothing else. Pricey? Yes, but they are state of the art. They work awesome, and its a once in a life time investment. They will lower your ride 1.5 to 1.25 inch, But you can also try Tokico, Moroso, Gabriel etc. (Ehe) But remember, the springs lower your ride. You need a shock that will work with these springs (of you go H&R or Eibach) Watch out for those HD (Heavy duty) shocks. They won't cut it. You need Sport Shocks. Read the small print. HD Shocks are for stock springs, NOT Sport. Sports springs are for sport shocks.

Tires. I use the factory size, always. (it came with 225/60/16 I use 235/60/16) Better for fuel economy. They are design for the vehicle. If you want to go bigger, wider, taller, it's your call. But you place more strain on the suspension this way, unbalancing it. You will know what I mean when your taking a curve and it will start to under steer and over steer. Your call.

OK, Spacers. The H&R have a very cool set. But...they are pricey. But wider is better! Your call.

SeriousBlack was selling a set and a steal price, I almost bought them, but he sold them already.

Springs, you can do the H&R, or the Eibach to lower your ride. It give your ride a cool stance. Either way, they are great, for LOWERING your ride. (use sport shocks)

The Addco rear anti sway bar. When we (meaning everyone at that time in this forum) first started with this project. We had a lot of help from Addco. They even designed parts for the RAV4.1 with input from the members of this forum. But it didn't work for some of us. For some reason, ( I guess it was a heavy right foot) the metal block broke off.

It just broke off and the metal block, to this day, I don't know were it went. Too much pressure in this area.

We bought the Anti-sway bar from Summit. Summit already knew what was going on. From Addco, they mailed us the installation kit which consisted of this metal block and other metal parts as you can see. Why? The distance was too high/long from the chassis and the end links were just too long. I broke them in my first outing. It was a 86-89 Celica bar, but with this installation kit. Since I lowered my ride, I didn't have much of a problem when it came to install the bar. To this day, its still in it original position and working great. The front bar, in my case, is a TRD bar. Sold to me by the founder of this forum, Kelly (aka Mr. Camaro ) It came with Poly Bushing and it is much stronger then the RAV4 OEM bar. You will also have to open the hole on both sides of the bar so, it uses a larger bolt. Price on the TRD bar? $100.00. To find one today? Good Luck.

The Ultra Suspension:
This was the parts that really made this entire suspension come together. I'll finish this tomorrow I got to sleep and work tomorrow. Good Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
OK, lets continue.

Once I saw the Ultra Racing parts. I said to myself: "You need these parts" But when I called for availability and shipping price I was stunned. . The shipping to PR is more then the price of the part, $275.00. I think the dude who answered the phone was a High School drop out. He didn't even know where was PR, what an idiot.

So, I did it myself. That white box you see in the picture below, is a part that you have to make yourself (above). Measurements: 5 inches long, 2.5 inches wide. Your bent will be at 2.5 inches. If its too difficult to do. Do a card broad template with these measurements. The bolt hole is a no brainier. Just place the template and market it off.

Not pretty, but it works great.

Before painting:

Here is the finished product, without paint. After sandblasting and painting with a finishing coat of clear. They look and work awesome.
Now, you might ask, how it works. Too good. . It can out corner ANY SUV...ANY and the majority of cars on the road, period.

Any questions and or comments you know where to find me.

Oh, BTW, next part in the near future, the Ultra Race inside bar.

Will I do it myself? Of course.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to racermcphee Send a message via Yahoo to racermcphee
Do you know if there is an aftermarket product for sway bars for the 4.1? I am wanting to go the same route you went with your RAV, I'm loving the setup. ImageUploadedByAutoguide1352165933.883624.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
#4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
You can try Addco for front and rear anti sway bars. Their is a ton of information in this forum regarding anti sway bars. The home made Ultra Racing bars I made work awesome. So much, that I've eaten a set of Bridgestone sooner then I thought. . But hay, the stability is awesome with Anti Sway Bars. Of course I've also installed better brakes, springs and shocks. But you will be driving a Porsche in RAV4 clothing so to speak. What ever you do, I'll be here to show you the ropes and give you some pointers that will save you some bucks.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 AM

am interested on the front lower sway bar. unfortunately even UR doesn't have them . Its a hard to find item nowadays.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodagzph View Post
am interested on the front lower sway bar. unfortunately even UR doesn't have them . Its a hard to find item nowadays.
If you are referring to the front anti-sway bar. That is a TRD (it orange) Anti-Sway Bar. I think it's discontinued from TRD. But you can check with Addco. You might find it here.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensajero View Post
If you are referring to the front anti-sway bar. That is a TRD (it orange) Anti-Sway Bar. I think it's discontinued from TRD. But you can check with Addco. You might find it here.
I checked the hyperlink... There's a listing for an SXA11 but not an SXA16. Is that an issue, even though one's a Zenki and the other a Kouki???

Definitely want to be shown the ropes :-) I'm ready to build the most unlikely grip car this coast has ever seen

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 AM

Also, where did you go for the brakes, springs, and shocks?? All I have on my ride now is a set of H&R drop springs, and I'd like to get her just an inch or 2 lower if possible. I need some better brakes since I now routinely bury past the 125 on the speedo ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racermcphee View Post
I checked the hyperlink... There's a listing for an SXA11 but not an SXA16. Is that an issue, even though one's a Zenki and the other a Kouki???

Definitely want to be shown the ropes :-) I'm ready to build the most unlikely grip car this coast has ever seen
I posting this by personal experience. I knw that some member will jump on this one. But if they have this or anything else BETTER. By all means post pictures and sound off.

The front TRD Anti sway bar from TRD is no longer available. The difference between the SXA11 and the SXA16. The 11 is for 2 door and the 16 is for 4 door. On the part, I had to machine open the place where the screw goes in, its slightly larger, no big deal. I've never seen Zenki nor Koiki Parts.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racermcphee View Post
Also, where did you go for the brakes, springs, and shocks?? All I have on my ride now is a set of H&R drop springs, and I'd like to get her just an inch or 2 lower if possible. I need some better brakes since I now routinely bury past the 125 on the speedo ;-)
The H&R, like the Eibach are fine. So, keep them on. Remember, if you go for performance shock, like Bilstein, use the Sport Shocks, NOT the HD shocks with these springs. This is very important...trust me.

I'd also advice the H&R spacers. They were selling a set here in the forum, you should check classified. Pricey though, but worth every penny. Once installed, you'll see what I mean.

For Front Disc Brakes, Try Power Stop on the net for your specific RAV4 and year. Also, do the Stainless Steel Brake lines. They are a great add on.

Shocks, they are a ton of them for the RAV4. Moroso, Tein, Gabrial, Tokico and the list goes on and on. Here, you get what you paid for.

Hope this helps, keep in touch, mensa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page