Shock option we discovered for the RAV4 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Shock option we discovered for the RAV4

Hey guys,

For those who want a nice cheap option for the RAV4 rear shocks ....

Try the KE70 Corolla rear shocks. These shocks are full gas, so a lot better for handling, and they are also 2 inches shorter, which is a BIG plus for the lowered guys. I put the on mine and it definitely stiffened the ride in the rear.

I used the Tokico brand with good results.

Kirk

My drinking team has a racing problem!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to racermcphee Send a message via Yahoo to racermcphee
What about the front struts???
#3 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 PM

(Thread Starter)
For the front struts, I used the Caldina GT shock and spring combo, which lowered the vehicle about 1.4 inches. The Caldina GT comes with the 3sgte and weighs in at about 3200 lbs, so it is well sprung for the RAV4.

I have only driven the RAV for a few days since I got it back on the road, and it rides nicely on the highway and stiffens up during cornering. The spring rate is not bad at all.

The Caldina is the ST215, so replacement shocks for it would be anything from the Celica ST16x to the ST20x models.

Kirk

#4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 PM

Garage
So if the Celica st16x-st20x shocks are a replacement for the Caldina, then are the Celica front struts an option for the Rav4 as well?
#5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixables View Post
Hey guys,

For those who want a nice cheap option for the RAV4 rear shocks ....

Try the KE70 Corolla rear shocks. These shocks are full gas, so a lot better for handling, and they are also 2 inches shorter, which is a BIG plus for the lowered guys. I put the on mine and it definitely stiffened the ride in the rear.

I used the Tokico brand with good results.

Kirk
Hay Fixable, mensa here. That is great news. The KE70 Corolla in PR or in the USA would be this Corolla? What about the rear disc brakes from this Corolla?
#6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 AM

(Thread Starter)
Hi Mensa,

The KE70 or (E70) as the K denotes the engine it came with, is the 1979 to 1984 model Corolla, and yes, it's those in your link.

As far as the ST16x to ST20x Celica model shocks, as far as I can see in pics and research, it looks to the replacement for the Caldina as Toyota has a habit of using the same shocks throughout the chassis range like those.

For example, the Corolla E9, E10, E11 all use the same shocks as it is just a revision of the same chassis. It would make sense that Toyota would carry on through that chassis production run as well for the T16, T18, T20 and T21 range.

If anyone can confirm that the Celica shocks can fit on the RAV4.1 let me know. It would be from the Celica years 1985 to 1999.

Kirk

The Following User Says Thank You to Fixables For This Useful Post:
mjroxx (07-15-2013)
#7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM

Garage
hey fixables, do you have any specs on the fully expanded length? or compressed height? while shopping rockauto they gave me other cars that potentially could use the same shocks as the corolla. and I have been researching some of the specs on a few of the shocks. like the lincoln town car, I have 1985 typed in my one of my tabs, has a couple of shock options that offer extended length of 20". another option showed to me was the mazda 626 potentially uses the shock, at an extended length of 21.1". I'm looking for that 2 inch drop you mentioned. also did you have spacers on you wheels? I went to my local junk yard and checked out a few celicas and they looked like the platform that holds the coil on the bottom is quite low and might be a problem getting tire on. I plan on going tomorrow to get a set, and am looking for a little insight before i try to install them. Thanks a lot!
#8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 PM

Then our gen1 ravs can have a option to have coilovers ?

If this is true.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Garage
well today I attempted to change out the struts with a 1997 celica's. I should have looked at the mount bolts before trying, They were different. the bolts on top of the celica's struts were all the same distance apart, whereas the Rav has one that is further from the others. I do have two new kyb strut mounts in the garage and will be getting a single action strut compressor seen here Single Action Strut Spring Compressor It does have some poor reviews, but I figure it will do this one time job and if it sucks then I'll return it. I have coupon to get it for $50 so its worth a shot at least. Hopefully I can change over the mounts and it will work out.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 03:26 PM

(Thread Starter)
Hey guys,

Have not been online in a while, so sorry for the non replies.

I did have to use the RAV4 upper strut mounts / pillow mounts for it to work. Otherwise it all bolted up.

Concerning the fully extended length of the rear shocks, I did not measure it, but the body is about 2" shorter. I have had no issues with the shocks however. Your continued options for replacement tube shocks seems like it will work as well.

As far as the Celica shocks, yes the lower cup is a bit lower, but I had to temporarily use a 215/65/16 in front and there was about 3/4" clearance between the top of the tire and the lower cup. Unless you go with a super tall tire, you should be fine.

Let me know how it goes.

Kirk

The Following User Says Thank You to Fixables For This Useful Post:
shrtskts (03-08-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page