how to install a oil filter relocation kit and oil cooler: Lots of pictures - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodagzph View Post
Hi mensa Oh my i didn't see that.

Sorry for bringing up this thread. I've already both a cheap oil cooler which i'll be using as trans-axle cooler (this is the only oil cooler available to me). Since you've already hook a different oil cooler on the trans. How can i fit this cooler on to a AN fittings to my stock trans tubing? Thanks.

This is not the actual pic. But a similar one.

First of all, you'll need the oil cooler, but it also had to bring an installation kit. Something like this is all you need.

Remember, if the filter is leaking. You'll need to use the Toyota V6 oil filter. Which is better because its larger. All the hoses that are coming out of the OEM oil cooler, trash them or hold on to them, you'll never know. Another tip; watch out when torquing these parts. Adjust accordingly, remember, they are not forever. Don't crush the rubber seal that is going to face the block. You can see the rubber seal above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensajero View Post
First of all, you'll need the oil cooler, but it also had to bring an installation kit. Something like this is all you need.

Remember, if the filter is leaking. You'll need to use the Toyota V6 oil filter. Which is better because its larger. All the hoses that are coming out of the OEM oil cooler, trash them or hold on to them, you'll never know. Another tip; watch out when torquing these parts. Adjust accordingly, remember, they are not forever. Don't crush the rubber seal that is going to face the block. You can see the rubber seal above.
Do you find the need of a oil cooler because you drive your rav4 in a hot climate?
i'm in michigan, where the climate is cold about half of the year.

Thanks,
george
#13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 rav View Post
Do you find the need of a oil cooler because you drive your rav4 in a hot climate?
i'm in michigan, where the climate is cold about half of the year.

Thanks,
george
I was just about to ask the same question. Why bother? My RAV is turbo-charged and is currently seeing 38C to 40C (100F to 104F) ambient temps and it's running fine. Yes, we're having a hot summer here in Aussieland.
#14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

In my experience. I feel like my RAV4 is running on ball bearings, I use Amsoil. I think it did about 5 or 6 quarts. Why so many? Because the lines (hoses) take up some oil. I was wondering if it really worked. Until I drove it around for a while in cold weather. I went to the hose, and they were hot. Meaning oil was running. That was about six or seven years ago. Recently, I asked a dude to check it. He told me that it was at its max, and clean like if I changed it a few days ago. It like a once in a life time investment insuring your RAV4.
#15 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
I was just about to ask the same question. Why bother? My RAV is turbo-charged and is currently seeing 38C to 40C (100F to 104F) ambient temps and it's running fine. Yes, we're having a hot summer here in Aussieland.
i agree with you.
With a oil cooler you'll have to increase the oil capacity, which will make your oil pump work harder and more suceptible to failure. i bought my rav4 over 2 months ago. i replaced the cam seal, the valve cover gasket, the oil pump, and pan gasket. i believe these repairs were the result of excess oil in the engine. In fact, when i went to a local toyota dealer to buy some spark plugs, i asked what the oil capacity for my rav4 was, and I was told the rav4 took 4.5 quarts oil: that was about 2 months ago. I recently subscribed to Alldata.com, and I found out my rav4 requires only 3.9 quarts with filter, or 3.7 quarts w/o filter.
This is proof that the excess oil over the years caused the oil leak and the oil pump leak.
#16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
True, that was why I also installed an after market engine oil cooler. One for the transaxle and one for the engine. I change my oil religiously ever 3K to 4K miles.

I've never had blue smoke. White smoke in the morning at start-up, that's normal, especially at this time of the year. Mileage is great, and best of all. It doesn't burn oil like some RAV4.1 are notoriously pron.

All the mods that I've done were toward this goal, durability. I guess my engine will give me at least 20 to 25 years more of service. Unless I get tired of it and want to install a....

Oh, BTW, I've never open it for nothing. Not even the valve cover.
#17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM

on the question the need to have a transmission oil cooler. When i got my engine swap thats when the problem piles up. To make the story short. I got a bypass transmission oil lines . Meaning no oil cooler.

@Mensa even on the transmission oil cooler i need to have the relocation kit? after inspection of my transmission oil lines its a clip type. how can i put the braided lines from the kit?
#18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodagzph View Post

@Mensa even on the transmission oil cooler i need to have the relocation kit? after inspection of my transmission oil lines its a clip type. how can i put the braided lines from the kit?

No you don't need a relocation kit unless you want to move it some other place. Be it because of unnecessary (and somewhat dangers) heat to a hose line.

Regarding oil lines and what not. Those oil coolers were for the AWD RAV4 at that time. But, mine is a 2WD. It didn't come with a transaxle oil cooler. It just had an inverted loop "|_|". My question (at that time) did it have a transaxle pump, or just an outlet. Their was only one way to find out. Cut the loop and hope oil will shoot out. We lifted my RAV4 with jacks and towers and hope for the best. Once in the air, we turned on the engine and shifted. It started to shoot oil from the OEM loop. Meaning, it had a pump inside. I just installed rubber heat tested hoses to the oil cooler. It hasn't given any problems at all.

As you can see in my transaxle, since its 2WD. The oil cooler that cam with the AWD DIDN'T come with my RAV4. Clearly you can see the metal loop it came with. I just cut the loop and installed the hoses, simple.

#19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM

@Mensa That's my concern, i got an oil cooler kit. its another cost if i buy a rubber heat/pressurized hoses and the braided hose that comes with the kit will be a junk in the house .

I hope there's a fitting that could accommodate the braided hose lines into our transaxle. Am changing oil every 2-3mos . Oil is black and has a foul smell after i've lost my stock oil cooler (am using Shell gear oil BTW) .
#20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
simple just measure the hose size. Meaning the Toyota OEM out let and start from their. I think you made a research error. You should of checked the size of the out lets first. Then buy the cooler with the hoses and fitting necessary. But not all is lost. At least you have parts you can work with. Try Ebay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page