Just got my OME suspension! Now to install. - Page 3 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I guess I'm one of the senior members in this forum. All members go through the same process. Everyone loves to upgrade, modify, and improve, and what not. One problem, they also don't want to lose their respective warranties. In the early years of this forum, everyone was watching everyone else. Who was the so called "Guinea Pig" who risks their warranty to upgrade, modify, and improve any thing that could be modified. As years went by, warranties started to expire. Everyone started to buy parts, exchange ideas, install performance parts. Everyone started to install and modify parts where you could, and then it out of hand. That where all the experience of all the senior members came from.

Their was once a member from Australia, his name was Andrew, that changed engines, to a 3SGTE. His investment and modification, at that time were impressive. So much, that they opened a forum in Australia RAVoz.com. When this forum went down, everyone got their RAV4 fix in OZ. We even had a chat in this forum. But it didn't have many participants.

Everyone from around the world, discovered what Toyota vehicle parts could be installed, adapted, or modified to fit the RAV4.1. Since the RAV4 wasn't a very popular vehicle in the import tuner scene. Parts were very difficult to come by.

Now, to the new guys, everyone with less then 25 post, should listen to the senior member for one reason. We walk the walk and talk the talk. And most of all, we can advice what works and what will not work. Why you guys should listen? To save you money, time and frustrations. We've been already their, and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM

I do not want to see Rav members suffer from dirt entering there engines, as this forum has done a lot for me personally and I like it here. So I feel compelled to share the data about the filtering power of K&N I have seen and been warned about.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

I am inclined to trust this report as it is paid by members of a forum and carried out by a certified lab. It mostly shows that standard paper filters are really good at doing there job.

I am apologetic for not posting the link to the data in the first place and letting members here make decisions for them selves. That is certainly a lesson I should have learned from senior members. If I were in your shoes I would not like that either.

I dont actually know jack about building a performance air intake system and really have nothing to add on that subject. I do know that mensajero has done actual dyno testing recently and the numbers do prove that when he talks about power in his Rav he is factual.

I do believe that increased dirt getting in will lead to a gradual loss of engine compression and power. I dont want that to happen to my engine and would not wish it on any one on this forum.

I live in a very dusty area. My car is constantly covered in dust and there are frequently air quality warning areas issued for the Phoenix Arizona region. So naturally filtration of Oil and Air for my engine is an area for concern.

I hope this post is 100X more useful than my previous one in this thread.

That 2 door 4.1 with the lift looks tough - I like it and look forward to seeing action shots.

On the road in my Rav4 since February, Traveling, Volunteering, Camping and also enjoying beer bikes and bacon. Check out the blog www.servicedriven.org
#23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

OK, BikerJay, I've lived in Southern California and I also know about the dust. When I lived in LA, dust was the norm. I know what you mean. The test you posted are legitimate and they speak by themselves. I live in the mountains of PR. Where 90% of the air is pure. (My wife, who is from Pasadena, when she came to PR from LA, she had Asama. Thank God, and the environment, she was cured.) So I guess it depends of the place you live. K&N work well here. In that region, I'll bet its another story.

If everyone does a test in their part of the country, the results might be different. I guess we are both right in our own area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page