Just got my OME suspension! Now to install. - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Just got my OME suspension! Now to install.

Hey everybody, first thread started here for my rav project. Started with some small stuff like a TRD shift knob and K&N Air Filter, but just got my first big expense, the OME lift kit, boxes look pretty cool.

I've seen it take around an hour to install based on one story I read on the net. The Rocky Road place I got it said it might be more like 2 for an avg garage dude to do. Anybody have their own times on how long the install was?

Pretty excited, bet it'll make my car ride nicer, reviews on the ride and such were pretty positive compared to the regular Toyota setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lift kit.jpg (246.7 KB, 85 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM

I want more detail once the installation is complete.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav4Vader View Post
Hey everybody, first thread started here for my rav project. Started with some small stuff like a TRD shift knob and K&N Air Filter, but just got my first big expense, the OME lift kit, boxes look pretty cool.

I've seen it take around an hour to install based on one story I read on the net. The Rocky Road place I got it said it might be more like 2 for an avg garage dude to do. Anybody have their own times on how long the install was?

Pretty excited, bet it'll make my car ride nicer, reviews on the ride and such were pretty positive compared to the regular Toyota setup.

Outstanding, keep us posted Rav4Vader.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 PM

So far I just have the rear springs. The increased load handling is great. I will be getting the shocks and front springs soon. You are going to like it. If its not to late to return it I would dump the K&N filter I bought into one also and now hate it, cant wait to get back to toyota paper that actually filters.

On the road in my Rav4 since February, Traveling, Volunteering, Camping and also enjoying beer bikes and bacon. Check out the blog www.servicedriven.org
#5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerJay View Post
So far I just have the rear springs. The increased load handling is great. I will be getting the shocks and front springs soon. You are going to like it. If its not to late to return it I would dump the K&N filter I bought into one also and now hate it, cant wait to get back to toyota paper that actually filters.
Did you reset the computer after you change to the K&N filter? BTW, which one you bought? The black box drop in, or the funnel with the tube?
#6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM

Just the drop in since the stock air box is not restrictive. But in general paper filters let less crap through. I drive in heavy dust a lot. There has been independent testing showing a quality paper filter takes out particulates best.
The less crap in the air the better my compression over the long haul.

If you are going with a really built turbo set up or something where the engine needs to be rebuilt frequently a high flowing screen from k&n is probably fine.

I was sucked in by the reusable factor but cleaning fluid costs too. I do see fine dust on the inside of my air box that gets past the k&n that is in there now. I am very dis satisfied with my k&n and it feels like wasted money.

Best to stick with toyota/ denso parts under the hood if your into long term durability and reliability. One exception is Mobil 1 oils.

On the road in my Rav4 since February, Traveling, Volunteering, Camping and also enjoying beer bikes and bacon. Check out the blog www.servicedriven.org
#7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM

Hi there partner, I just picked up an '04 Rav and I was thinking of doing the OME kit aswell because the thing could use a bit of a lift IMO. Tell us how yours goes! and maybe post a few picks if you can, I should be picking mine up shortly and am curious as to how it is to install.

I also see that you're in BC too, I'm not sure if you're aware but if you do any suspension modifications, there is actually paperwork to be done with ICBC. I know it sounds dumb and realistically nobody declares any mods to their car, but legally it's mandatory. This is my only main concern I have about lifting <i>my</i> suspension, your call though.

Where did you pick up the TRD shifter if you don't mind me asking? that sounds like a nice addition to my rav

As for the K&N filter, I would have to agree with BikerJay. If it is the conical mesh type, then you might want to steer clear. I had one on my '94 Toyota pickup and over the years it let in lots of fine particulate dust resulting in my intake manifold to be gummed up badly. Perhaps there are better aftermarket ones out there

Cheers
#8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerJay View Post
Just the drop in since the stock air box is not restrictive. But in general paper filters let less crap through. I drive in heavy dust a lot. There has been independent testing showing a quality paper filter takes out particulates best.
The less crap in the air the better my compression over the long haul.

If you are going with a really built turbo set up or something where the engine needs to be rebuilt frequently a high flowing screen from k&n is probably fine.

I was sucked in by the reusable factor but cleaning fluid costs too. I do see fine dust on the inside of my air box that gets past the k&n that is in there now. I am very dis satisfied with my k&n and it feels like wasted money.

Best to stick with toyota/ denso parts under the hood if your into long term durability and reliability. One exception is Mobil 1 oils.
OK, if you say so. I've used all the filters in my RAV4. K&N has give the most power/results. But hay, no problem.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 AM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
New pic update

Hi all, here is my rav with the kit installed. Also with new BFGoodrich traction TA KO 225/75/R16 on the stock rims for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (185.5 KB, 76 views)
#10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 AM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
More pics

Yah!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (229.4 KB, 73 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page