RAV4 to RAV6, how much we are talking about? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
RAV4 to RAV6, how much we are talking about?

As I've been doing the research for quite some time now. The first thing is that you should have the correct RAV4.1. Which means, no AWD nor 4WD. As some RAV4 members have stated, the 2WD is a lot better then the 4WD/AWD. All the added hardware from the AWD/4WD makes the V6 engine a lot more complicated. So keep it simple and easier to work, do the 2WD RAV4.1. Which engine to use? Well, that is up to you. I'd advice to go to Wikipedia and check out your local Salvage yard. Chances are you'll find a Solara, Camry, Lexus, Sienna with a MZ ready to go. But do the research. You'll find the difference in some engines regarding forged crank and HP so on and so forth. It's up to you what you want.

Engine mounts, I guess their are two engine mounts that might bring some problems because you will have to go to a machine shop and make them. I'd advice you go to Woodsport for some help and guides. They also make them.

A cool set of Headers would be also great for an awesome sound and some extra power. A lite weight chassis with a HP range of 210+. Dude, your the man. Then...in a RAV4...excuse me...RAV6.

If you are going to do your own Headers, watch that filter to Radiator area, its very very tight.

A 5 speed is a must, Auto is cool, but I'm old school. Oh, the majority of the V6 chassis are auto. So you will need a Fidanza Flywheel, have fun.

All engine V6 ending in FE will work with the E250 transaxle. Stay Tune!

Next topic...MONEY and the rest.

Last edited by mensajero; 11-18-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
More More More
WE WANT MORE.

Great write up. Could use some more extended details, but i think you might add that lateron.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
I would like to mention some information that might help, the money needed on a project like this and the different variables that might come up. Which eventually, they will regardless. These projects are not for a weak wallet. Unless you are planning on going on Trucks, Gears, or Chop Cut and Rebuild. Running out of resources is not cool. Watching your ride on standing jacks accumulating dust for month is a killer. It will stop a project in its tracks. It will psychologically work on your mind and there, is when you start to make drastic and stupid decisions. Creating problems with your family, be it parents and especially, your wife, trust me on this one guys. Your friends will call you a bluff. Expect comments like "Hay, is the RAV4 well done yet? So before you start to dream of that first pass on the boulevard on a Saturday night. You should think first in a budget. What you want, in how much time. Are you going by stages, or are you lifting your RAV4 on jack stands for a couple of weeks, may be more. Have this in the back of your mind because there is a possibility that this might happen. If it's your only car, think also about a rental, again…$. If you have another car, keep the cost of using this other car to a minimum. (Gas, tires, service so on and so forth.) Or, you will do your RAV4 on the run, just stopping it for the big move, install the engine in a weekend. In the mean time, you stock pile parts and most important. That all the parts are congruent. That starts with choosing the correct engine. If you can get an engine the same year of your RAV4, great. The tech of the engine are the same. If you get a newer engine, cool. But some tech on one engine might not be congruent and you might have problems with hoses not being in the same position, place or use as the engine you had. Anyway you look at it, this will eventually happen. But the other day, I was looking at a 1997 V6 Camry at my local salvage yard and even the A/C hoses were in the same position. I just had to make a new set. (Ha-ha). P/S was also cool, Only the battery was in the different position. The RAV4.1 OEM battery is in a perfect position, out of the way. An experience mechanic also gave me this tip. Watch the hoses and electrical system after installing, for leaks and bugs. Why? Well, if you get an engine from a Sienna, Lexus or Solara and even a Highlander. These vehicles are heavier carry more punch in the electrical system, than a RAV4. The RAV4 P/S hoses, A/C hoses and electrical system might come out with a bug or two. So don't be surprised that some things might not work correctly at first. And Please, don't take it out to the Boulevard just yet, wait until everything is working correctly because if you have to push on the Boulevard you'll be hearing it for some time to come or whenever you come out with your ride. It will be VERY embarrassing. Stay Tune...more to come.

Last edited by mensajero; 11-16-2012 at 09:37 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to kingnba6
Great write up

2004 Rav4 I4 FWD
Mileage-21056 as of 8/20/11
Clarion NX500 with -Rearview Camera
-Video bypass
-iPod connection
-HD Radio
Fog lights with Halo Ring.
Tints
Viper 5902 Alarm System with -Window Roll Down Module
-Automatic Start
-Viper HD Remote
-Clifford 7752x Remote
#5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 PM

Sorry if it is a dumb question. You said you will be running 2WD. Do you mean the FWD that some RAV's came with, or will you be using the 4WD transmission and not reconnecting the front wheels for RWD?

FWD is not cool!!
#6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
I think you might have misunderstood me. In my opinion, it's better to do the FWD, which is what my RAV4.1 came with. Don't get me wrong, the 4WD/AWD are cool, but the Hardware of the 4WD/AWD will make is a lot more difficult to convert to V6. All the problem that R00BZ is having with his swamp is because of the AWD/4WD setup.

Last edited by mensajero; 11-18-2012 at 02:13 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 01:10 AM
R4W Moderator

Hey Mensa,

Are those your actual pictures ? Do you already have the engine and everything almost ready to go ?

I am looking forward to your progress...
#8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

(Thread Starter)
Perhaps..........stay tune. Look at the pictures, one of them will tell you.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
The picture from his second post in this thread clears it up. That is not his own ride.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 AM
R4W Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
The picture from his second post in this thread clears it up. That is not his own ride.
Greetz

Pim
The maroon vehicle in the other post isn't even a RAV4...

I was talking about the engine on the engine stand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page