engine swap anyone? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
engine swap anyone?

I got my rav back in august. I want more power though as I don't have a lot. I have a 2.2L and was wanting to know if I could swap in the motor from an MR2. I can't find a lot of information on this. Does anyone know if I can or where I can find more information about my engine and what I will be able to swap in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRachael View Post
I got my rav back in august. I want more power though as I don't have a lot. I have a 2.2L and was wanting to know if I could swap in the motor from an MR2. I can't find a lot of information on this. Does anyone know if I can or where I can find more information about my engine and what I will be able to swap in?
First of all, welcome to the forum. Yes, their is a lot of information regarding engine swamps. I guess your 2.2 is a 5SFE. Yes, these engine do work on your RAV4, which has a 3SFE. But the 3SFE is more reliable engine then the 5SFE. I've have read that the 5SFE engine oil pump suddenly clogs up when the engine has many miles on it. The 3SFE just keeps on rollin.

You can also check the Toyota V6 engine that end with the suffix FE, will mate with the 3SFE trans-axle. Look around, you will many projects.
The Following User Says Thank You to mensajero For This Useful Post:
MissRachael (11-23-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 08:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
That's where I get confused is with the different engine codes. I couldn't really find a list of engine codes where I would be able to match up with what I could swap for.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensajero View Post
First of all, welcome to the forum. Yes, their is a lot of information regarding engine swamps. I guess your 2.2 is a 5SFE. Yes, these engine do work on your RAV4, which has a 3SFE. But the 3SFE is more reliable engine then the 5SFE. I've have read that the 5SFE engine oil pump suddenly clogs up when the engine has many miles on it. The 3SFE just keeps on rollin.

You can also check the Toyota V6 engine that end with the suffix FE, will mate with the 3SFE trans-axle. Look around, you will many projects.
Wow, that's just really bad information.

First, the 5sfe oil pump is the same as a 3sfe and reliability is usually determined by maintenance.
Second, FE just refers to the head, FE being economical, GE being performance.
The letter "S" in the engine code refers to the block.

For trannys an "E" or "S" series would bolt up.

Now, do you have awd or front wheel drive ? manual or auto ?

Because we have an S series motor in our Ravs, just like Camry, Celica, MR2, Solara of our generation (mid 90s), we can relativity easily fit any motor they have into our Ravs with our transmissions (fwd). The issues come with that is first the wiring (not easy), if you're awd then the "F" tranny (4wd) you have with the center diff doesn't fit onto a motor bigger than 2.0L because of the ribs on the back of the block. You can grind them down (a lot) and make it fit though.

The easiest options is a rebuilt 3sfe, swap a 3sge, 3sgte (all 2.0L)
A 5sfe is about the same HP as a 3sfe (maybe 10 more hp), not worth it IMO.
A V6 would be a fun option but keep in mind you need to fab a side mount and fitting the exhaust would be tough (with awd).

So, what are you goals ? just want a little more power or want to make a fast Rav ?

1995 Celica - ST205 3sgte swapped
1994 Celica - Redtop Beams swapped
1998 Rav4 - winter beater - Redtop Beams swapped and actually fun to drive now.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Pim
Advanced Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRachael View Post
That's where I get confused is with the different engine codes. I couldn't really find a list of engine codes where I would be able to match up with what I could swap for.
REALLY DON'T BOTHER DOING THAT SWAP.
If you already get confused by the codes, then stop in your tracks and don't proceed. An engine swap is an enormous amount of detailed work where you have to know quite well what you are doing.
Better safe then sorry, but i would recommend you to clean the engine, make it up to par on maintenance, and see if that is what brings up the power. In my several years on this forum i have learned that most RAV4 are underpowered due to neglect in maintenance. The RAV4 doesn't have overly much on power, but usually does quite good.

Spending AT LEAST 2500 dollar on an engine swap (7000 - 15000 dollar or more if you let a mechanic do it) requires you to KNOW what you are doing. It's not like buying a soda in a supermarket. Getting confused by codes really makes me believe you haven't already thought it out well and searched and read through this forum on the many many many many many many many threads on engine conversions there are out there.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman722 View Post
Wow, that's just really bad information.

First, the 5sfe oil pump is the same as a 3sfe and reliability is usually determined by maintenance.
Second, FE just refers to the head, FE being economical, GE being performance.
The letter "S" in the engine code refers to the block.

For trannys an "E" or "S" series would bolt up.

Now, do you have awd or front wheel drive ? manual or auto ?

Because we have an S series motor in our Ravs, just like Camry, Celica, MR2, Solara of our generation (mid 90s), we can relativity easily fit any motor they have into our Ravs with our transmissions (fwd). The issues come with that is first the wiring (not easy), if you're awd then the "F" tranny (4wd) you have with the center diff doesn't fit onto a motor bigger than 2.0L because of the ribs on the back of the block. You can grind them down (a lot) and make it fit though.

The easiest options is a rebuilt 3sfe, swap a 3sge, 3sgte (all 2.0L)
A 5sfe is about the same HP as a 3sfe (maybe 10 more hp), not worth it IMO.
A V6 would be a fun option but keep in mind you need to fab a side mount and fitting the exhaust would be tough (with awd).

So, what are you goals ? just want a little more power or want to make a fast Rav ?

Batman, did you follow the link I posted regarding the 5SFE engine being a little twitchy? Guess not. Also, it's not bad info, its your opinion that the 5SFE is what ever. But in PR, we have had bad results on the track and a lot of bench racing has had the same opinion. Numbers and letters are the same info, just look them up in Wikipedia. In my opinion, the 5SFE IS a little twitchy.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:55 AM

yes I read the link.
Someone with an 18 year old 5sfe had an oil problem. It is common for old motors with a ton of miles to have problems. Especially the 5s because they mad a bazillion of them and used them in 4 different model toyotas for over ten years. They would of put on in the Rav also but it doesn't fit with the awd transmissions without compromising the structural integrity of the block.

The bad info you gave I was referring to is that you said the 5sfe oil pump
Quote:
suddenly clogs up when the engine has many miles on it. The 3SFE just keeps on rollin.
when the 5sfe and 3sfe oil pumps are the exact same.

and

Quote:
Toyota V6 engine that end with the suffix FE, will mate with the 3SFE trans-axle
something you said is wrong again.
FE refers to the head (cams in the head actually), nothing at all to do with the trans-axle.
The wife and I just finished rebuilding a 1zzfe, do you really think this motor will bolt to our trans-axle ? According to your bad information it will.
Not a chance.

Quote:
Numbers and letters are the same info
What ? Then why would any of them be different ?

Did you do any research before posting bad information ? Guess not.
But I guess this is the kind of info someone gives when they rely on wikipedia or bench racing for their knowledge.

#8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, where was the problem with the 5SFE? Why wasn't the RAV4 offered with the 5SFE engine? Why the 3SGTE use the same block as the 3SFE instead of upgrading to the 2.2 5SFE block!?

Batman, it that I've read many times the same problem with the 5SFE over the years. Maybe we are both right in our own way and experience. Lets leave it at that. To me, the 5SFE isn't as good as the 3SFE. I guess all the difference of these engine, the problem is right there, in the .2 size in crank and rods.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensajero View Post
Ok, where was the problem with the 5SFE? Why wasn't the RAV4 offered with the 5SFE engine? Why the 3SGTE use the same block as the 3SFE instead of upgrading to the 2.2 5SFE block!?
wtf ?
I just wrote this --> "it doesn't fit with the awd transmissions without compromising the structural integrity of the block." in the last post !
Like I already said a few posts before that, the ribs on the back of the 2.2 block are too big for the awd tranny (center diff).
Quote:
Batman, it that I've read many times the same problem with the 5SFE over the years. Maybe we are both right in our own way and experience. Lets leave it at that. To me, the 5SFE isn't as good as the 3SFE.
You think the 3sfe (less hp, less torque) is better than a 5sfe when they are virtually the same (they share many of the same parts) but it's better...
Quote:
I guess all the difference of these engine, the problem is right there, in the .2 size in crank and rods.
This is hilarious, my wife just read this and lol'ed.
You really believe the reason the 5s is a 2.2 is because of the crank and rods ?!?!? It's because of the it's 2.0 LITER block and a 2.2 LITER block. More displacement, more torque, more power.

#10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM

(Thread Starter)
Okay first, I have an automatic 2.2L 4wd. Second, my rav is EXTREMELY well maintained. I grew up at my dad's garage so I know all about proper matinence. However, I bought it used and don't know how it was taken care of before I got it. I do know that since I have had it I've replaced the cat, the battery, the alternator, and my belts. Next, I have done a motor swap before however this is my first Toyota and the engine codes are a lot different than Honda engine codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page