3s-fe Fuel Injection - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
3s-fe Fuel Injection

I got a JDM engine to replace my engine, and the fuel injectors and ports on the head are different.

Do you guys know if I should be using the JDM injectors or the US spec ones, or can anyone offer some insight here please.

I have been looking online for days regarding this and cannot figure it out.

Backstory: I acquired a 99 rav4 A/T AWD from a friend with a bad engine.

I bought an engine on ebay and verified it was 3S-FE for AWD (but it is JDM version)

So I have the motor out (boy was that a full pull) and I am down to switching the intake manifold from my OEM US engine onto the JDM engine, and I notice that the fuel injectors are completely different.

Doing a little more research online it look as if the Injectors are same/similar to what is on a 2001 Rav4 (long skinny type) and mine are for the 99 rav4 (short green type)

I would normally just use the green injectors. I can get the injectors from my motor in the head and tighten them up just fine, but the obviously wont poke into the head as far and this could cause spray issues?

So my question for you guys is which injectors do I use? and will I need to do anything else?

UPDATED PICS OF MY ACTUAL ENGINE AND INJECTORS

Last edited by otgixxer; 12-01-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM

Garage
Depends on the ECU you are using. If you're using the JDM computer, use the JDM injectors. US computer then US injectors. Physically, either will probably fit, but the flow rates might be different and the computer will get confused. It will retune itself up to a point (about 10% difference) but beyond that you'll start having problems.

Of course, if you've got an aftermarket ECU, use whatever will fit.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
Depends on the ECU you are using. If you're using the JDM computer, use the JDM injectors. US computer then US injectors. Physically, either will probably fit, but the flow rates might be different and the computer will get confused. It will retune itself up to a point (about 10% difference) but beyond that you'll start having problems.

Of course, if you've got an aftermarket ECU, use whatever will fit.
I only have the US harness and US ECU.

I also dont want to throw a CEL.

I am just unsure about using the US spec injectors as the ports on the head are different depth.

I can put the injectors in and the rail, they just wont fit down in the head as much as the jdm injectors and I worry about the spray of the injectors having an issue.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 10:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by otgixxer View Post

I am just unsure about using the US spec injectors as the ports on the head are different depth.

I can put the injectors in and the rail, they just wont fit down in the head as much as the jdm injectors and I worry about the spray of the injectors having an issue.
It will be fine. I had the stock JDMs in mine, being an Aussie delivered car. I now have 320cc injectors that look identical to those orange ones in your pic. They haven't missed a beat since putting them in.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:21 AM
R4W Moderator

Quote:

You may run into more issues than just the injectors...

JDM engines don't have the same emissions standards as US engines...

Getting a JDM engine for an OBDII car you may run into many problems with multiple sensors... If you are using a US ECU for a JDM engine you may throw multiple codes since the ECU will search for certain sensors that may be missing or don't even exist on the JDM engine... Head and block may have different sensors...

If you are required to go through emissions, you may end up with some issues down the road...

Just curious why you did you get a JDM engine ? They really aren't any cheaper then a US engine...

Just my .02 cents...
#6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:44 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sueno View Post
You may run into more issues than just the injectors...

JDM engines don't have the same emissions standards as US engines...

Getting a JDM engine for an OBDII car you may run into many problems with multiple sensors... If you are using a US ECU for a JDM engine you may throw multiple codes since the ECU will search for certain sensors that may be missing or don't even exist on the JDM engine... Head and block may have different sensors...

If you are required to go through emissions, you may end up with some issues down the road...

Just curious why you did you get a JDM engine ? They really aren't any cheaper then a US engine...

Just my .02 cents...
I have the same sensors needed, anything else I just add from my original engine, so far only difference is the fuel.

Its a 4wd engine for a 4wd car.

This motor was $725 on ebay, and the cheapest locally was nearly double that with over 100k miles on it.

It really surprises me that no of you guys have a straight forward answer on this. Hopefully that means these cars dont break very often
#7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:45 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
It will be fine. I had the stock JDMs in mine, being an Aussie delivered car. I now have 320cc injectors that look identical to those orange ones in your pic. They haven't missed a beat since putting them in.
and you're car originally came with the green injectors that I have?

but you're using the JDMs with your factory ECU and original intake manifold?
#8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:25 PM

(Thread Starter)
ok after closer inspection it appears my injectors werent the green ones I originally posted a pic of (my fault for assuming the guy had the same as me).

Anyway now you can clearly see the difference injectors.

My gut says just to use the green US verson injectors in the JDM engine as everything else will be US (ECU, INTAKE MAN...etc)
#9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Pim
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You could use them and change them to JDM if they make the CEL come on.
I have seen these being used before, but i really cannot find the thread they where pictured in again. I know however that more people have struggled with this issue.
Greetz

Pim

Driving a BMW318i with LPG at the moment. Had a 2.0 RAV4.1 1997 3drs 4WD euro model w/ABS dual sunroof blue two tone previously.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
ok after closer inspection it appears my injectors werent the green ones I originally posted a pic of (my fault for assuming the guy had the same as me).

Anyway now you can clearly see the difference injectors.

My gut says just to use the green US verson injectors in the JDM engine as everything else will be US (ECU, INTAKE MAN...etc)
Haha. Isn't that the "straight answer" I gave you in the first place?

For the record, the stock JDM injectors are yellow.

But yes, the issue is that the ECU needs to know what to expect when it applies pulse to the injector. The green US injectors are 250cc while the yellow JDM injectors are 210cc. So the amount of actual fuel injected on a 2ms pulse will be a lot different between a 210cc and a 250cc injector.

But like I said before, the ECU should self tune to a point (10% usually) using the O2 sensor as long as it's working, but you may still have issues. A stock ECU really needs to tie up with the correct injectors for the least hassles.

For completeness, here's the injector specs:

US

JDM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page