Water proofing Electrics - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Water proofing Electrics

Went through a puddle last week, not very deep, 6-10 inches but admittedly a little fast, came out the other side ok but the rav cut out shortly after. Fortunately it was only the electrics that got a bit wet, and it started and runs fine after it dried out.

Now, I've done a search but can't find any information or recommendation on water proofing our little rav4's a little better ?

Anybody done this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM

Garage
Hmm... I would recommend adding a belly pan as a first defense. It can improve mileage too. You would only need the front piece that covers the engine bay area. Here's a link to my first attempt at a belly pan.(I jumped you right to the front piece.) Belly Pan on 1st gen RAV4 - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

I can talk you through a more detailed walk through if you'd like. I only used zip ties or existing bolts to attach it. I did cut off the lower tabs on the bumper for a different project (air dam), but you could cut out holes in the sheet and keep the tabs.

And as far as more permanent, I would suggest looking for any exposed wires. I'm no expert, but for it to cut out like that, I would think there's something exposed.

~Cherish & RAVadoodle~

RAV4 Picture Game - PROVE you drive your RAV4!

RAVadoodle's Garage - here

Fuel log - here
#3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Hi there, just noticed your post and thought I would offer up my 2 cents. I have lots of experience with this stuff and I do electrical for a living.

Myrefuge made an excellent suggestion, I had the same problem on my toyota van, and putting a belly pan helped out alot

I'm not sure if they make them anymore, but a cover for the distributor to protect against light splashes would also help out. The most likely culprit in alot of cars are splashes and moisture in/on the distributor

Lastly, this sounds abit anal, but whenever you have an electrical connector that may be exposed to water or weather, I like to treat it with Penetrox or similar product. It is a grease that protects against corrosion for electrical parts. You don't need to open all your connectors and apply it, but if you happen to be doing a repair and come across a connector that needs it, squirt some in, you'll thank yourself the next time you need to undo a connector and it isn't corroded to dust.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page