1st gen Rav4 with 1.9 TDI swap - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
1st gen Rav4 with 1.9 TDI swap

Hey all... this will be my first post on here but I am looking to see if there is any info on a TDI swap without switching out to a mechanical pump

here is my idea and it was brought on by these guys
hpamotorsport.com

I want to take a 1st gen 5 speed rav4 and convert it to an economical 4x4 unit that is capable of doing basic 4x4ing and not get stuck as easy. Mostly this unit is going to head into fly fishing lakes in area's where the stock unit might not go without winching it the whole way.

I would like to lift the unit a couple inches and put a slightly bigger tire under it to get a couple inches of ground clearance and I was hoping to find front and rear lockers as well. I know I dont have a low range on these things but the TDI unit makes a lot of torque so hopefully I wont regret not going for an Automatic. I want to replace the front and rear bumpers to make basic nerf options that will hold up to a little abuse if I get into something that I need to drag myself off of.

I guess my question to the pro's on here... is it worth it or should I build a chassis from scratch and pop a supra body on it? I do have a 4th gen 4runner that is getting the off road mods but I like going up into the bush so basic upgrades to my economy monster would just be plain cool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page