Oxygen Sensor, Exhaust, Engine Check Light On - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.1 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.1 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Junior Member
Country: rav4lkl's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oxygen Sensor, Exhaust, Engine Check Light On

My Rav4 is 1999, 4 doors, basic 4 cylinders 2.0.
1. I got the engine check light on for code P1133 and someone told me is Oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. I replaced the sensor (front) but the check light is still on. how come? It's after market part, I cut the wires and connected to the original plug because the new plug din't fit. Can 2 white wires (for heat element) be connected either way to original 2 black wires?
2. I went to test the code again and got P0171, P1130, and P1133.
Anybody can help?
rav4lkl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member
Country: hd72m's Flag is: United States
 
hd72m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mt. Airy, North Carolina
Posts: 1,822
Thanks: 25
Thanked 94 Times in 86 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1st a check engine light tells the "area" where the trouble is. It could be sensor is reading too much gas or have bad connections or a host of other things.
It can cost a bundle when you throw parts at it to try and fix it.
2nd you should never have to cut off connectors for the right part.
Ask friends or call around and find a good local repair shop,do not use tire,trans or muffler shop.
hd72m is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Junior Member
Country: rav4lkl's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd72m View Post
1st a check engine light tells the "area" where the trouble is. It could be sensor is reading too much gas or have bad connections or a host of other things.
It can cost a bundle when you throw parts at it to try and fix it.
2nd you should never have to cut off connectors for the right part.
Ask friends or call around and find a good local repair shop,do not use tire,trans or muffler shop.

Thanks for replying me but you didn't answer my questions.
I don't have to post message here if I go to car repair shop.
The O2 sensor wires I cut because the new sensor plug didn't fit the old one.
Does anybody know 2 same color wires on O2 sensor can be connected either way in turn? I know they are heat element terminals in the sensor.
rav4lkl is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Member
Country: Jazzy's Flag is: Australia
 
Jazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canberra, ACT
Posts: 104
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4lkl View Post
Thanks for replying me but you didn't answer my questions.
I don't have to post message here if I go to car repair shop.
The O2 sensor wires I cut because the new sensor plug didn't fit the old one.
Does anybody know 2 same color wires on O2 sensor can be connected either way in turn? I know they are heat element terminals in the sensor.
P0171 - System too lean. (Probably due to no signal because you cut the sensor off)
P1130 - Air/Fuel circuit out of range. (Probably due to no signal because you cut the sensor off)
P1133 - Air/Fuel circuit no response. (Probably due to no signal because you cut the sensor off)

So what sensor did you replace it with? I ask because as previously stated, if you bought the right part, you shouldn't have to cut anything.

I'm concerned that you have bought the completely wrong sensor and may have used a wideband sensor on in place of the factory narrowband.

This would explain why the check engine light is still on.
Jazzy is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Junior Member
Country: rav4lkl's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
P0171 - System too lean. (Probably due to no signal because you cut the sensor off)
P1130 - Air/Fuel circuit out of range. (Probably due to no signal because you cut the sensor off)
P1133 - Air/Fuel circuit no response. (Probably due to no signal because you cut the sensor off)

So what sensor did you replace it with? I ask because as previously stated, if you bought the right part, you shouldn't have to cut anything.

I'm concerned that you have bought the completely wrong sensor and may have used a wideband sensor on in place of the factory narrowband.

This would explain why the check engine light is still on.

The code P1133 existed before I replaced the new sensor.
Are after market O2 sensors can be used? Many O2 sensors selling in the market without the plug, just with 4 bare wires and have to be connected with the exist plugs by the buyers. I cut the wires and connected with the exist plug is the same situation like to buy senors without the plug.
I have already tested with the meter and connections are fine.
So the question is if can't cut the wires to connect the right plug, why there are so many after market sensors without the plug selling in the market.
rav4lkl is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member
Country: hd72m's Flag is: United States
 
hd72m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mt. Airy, North Carolina
Posts: 1,822
Thanks: 25
Thanked 94 Times in 86 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
$$$ is why.
I bet if you look it will say no refunds if used.
hd72m is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Member
Country: Jazzy's Flag is: Australia
 
Jazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canberra, ACT
Posts: 104
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4lkl View Post
The code P1133 existed before I replaced the new sensor.
Are after market O2 sensors can be used? Many O2 sensors selling in the market without the plug, just with 4 bare wires and have to be connected with the exist plugs by the buyers. I cut the wires and connected with the exist plug is the same situation like to buy senors without the plug.
I have already tested with the meter and connections are fine.
So the question is if can't cut the wires to connect the right plug, why there are so many after market sensors without the plug selling in the market.
To quote you: "Thanks for replying me but you didn't answer my questions."

What was the replacement sensor? Is it wideband or narrow band?

Wideband WILL NOT WORK. Wideband sensors are designed to connect to a wideband O2 controller, hence the lack of a plug. You can't connect them directly to the ECU.

I just did a quick eBay search and every narrowband replacement RAC4 sensor I found had a plug.
Jazzy is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Some Rav4s, like mine, have an air/fuel sensor in lieu of a O2 sensor. The electrical plugs are not compatible and won't fit unless you get the right one.

barberoux
barberoux is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Member
Country: Jazzy's Flag is: Australia
 
Jazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canberra, ACT
Posts: 104
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barberoux View Post
Some Rav4s, like mine, have an air/fuel sensor in lieu of a O2 sensor.
Ok, I thought I knew a little bit about cars. But you're telling me an O2 sensor is different to an air/fuel sensor? Damn. My world just came crashing down around me.
Jazzy is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Member
Country: drcoffee's Flag is: United States
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you bought a Bosch O2 sensor, they don't work well on Toyotas from my experience. You should look on rockauto.com and buy the Denso O2 sensor. The harness you cut should be a part you can find at a junk yard or on ebay. cutting and connecting O2 wires doesn't work well because it changes the resistance of the wires the meter runs on.
drcoffee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome