Toyota RAV4 Forums - View Single Post - Adding an extra key using Techstream!
View Single Post
#8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM
JuneBug
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,097 Times in 793 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Here's an interesting tidbit I found out about the immobiliser. When I got the used key from Ebay, I went ahead and programmed the buttons to lock/unlock the doors. Then I programmed the immobiliser chip into the system. At this point, the key would unlock the doors with the button, and when inserted into the ignition, the Security LED would stop flashing. Of course, since the metal key blade was cut for a different car, it wouldn't turn in the ignition. So, I took a plain metal key I had cut and inserted it into the ignition, and held the head of the Ebay key near the ignition switch. The Security LED stopped flashing and I could start the engine with the plain key. I threw the Ebay key on the passenger seat and the engine continued to run. Then I turned off the engine and immediately re-started it. It ran for about 4-5 seconds, then shut down and the Security LED began flashing! So you can start and run the engine with just momentary access to the immobiliser chip until you shut the engine off.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

Last edited by JuneBug; 12-16-2012 at 12:13 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome