Toyota RAV4 Forums - View Single Post - TPMS Service - sharing experience
View Single Post
#1 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 PM
avu3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
TPMS Service - sharing experience

Wife's 06 (bought new in 8/06) now has 136k miles on it and the tpms light started a fast flash last week.

Reading on here I learned it was probably a system fault. Everything else on the car works, so I decided to give it a go at having it fixed before going a disabling rout.

Dealer was so expensive that I decided to try the local Les Schwab after reading on the web they have the gear to do the work.

I was pleasantly surprised to find it was no problem for them. They had the tools to do the work and even had aftermarket sensors in stock extremely affordably.

I read on here that the aftermarket ones don't work, so I made sure they would honor them under a reasonable warranty. The mount/balance was so cheap it was worth the gamble.

They found that one sensor wasn't reading at all, and another had a low battery. No surprise, given they will wear out and the car has a few miles on it.

The sensor they used is a Dill 1204a. It looked virtually the same as the OE one which came out, and the tech had no problem programming them.

I think there's some none computer way to program them. Its probably here on the forum somewhere, but I didn't find it. I read you "activate" them dropping the tire 6psi over a certain amount of time, but I don't know if that's programming them also or not. Doesn't matter since I can't dismount/mount/balance my own tire. Tech said that these are "a lot easier than doing GM ones", fwiw.

I was out the door for $147 with tax. My local dealership had them at $156 in stock (ea), not including programming or tire service.

S

Nasa/SCCA Racer/Winner.
Former Nasa Driving Instructor.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome