Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

V6 3VZfe Rav4.1 - Build Thread

28K views 71 replies 12 participants last post by  mensajero 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you know, I've been slowly chipping away at this conversion for a while now, and I thought I'd let you know what has been going on.

Firstly, a few pics of the process:

See less See more
#34 ·
Hey it has been quite some time since I've been here, but we've been pretty busy here!

CJ - Yes, that is the back end of an RX-8, and it is also the reason there has not been much progress on the Rav... :( A couple of months back, some idiot reversed out of his drive into the side of it while we were stopped at a red light. :mad:

While it was at the shop getting fixed, the painter flooded the engine and collapsed the starter bearings trying to crank it, so it went to the mechanic on a truck. :wall He pulled the starter, looked at the motor and saw the apex seals were gone, so we decide to rebuild the rotors...:eek: Turns out the housings and rotors were past it so we sourced a motor from Japan and just got the car back last week. :)

So this week I'm back on the 3VZFE project and have made a little progress, I'll try to get a picture uo today!

#41 ·
Looks quite some bigger then the original engine from the RAV4. Does it fit?
Hope it runs as smooth as it looks.
Greetz

Pim

#42 ·
Engine looks great, I didn't know the V6 was a quad-cam engine. Should have some nice pep over the factory engine!

#46 ·
I didn't realize so many people were slapping on TRD superchargers and turbos to these motors. There's some really big talk about their potential, good to know I guess! :)

#47 ·
Hoping to have a good day tomorrow fitting the motor & box together... Will try to take photos but once I get going it's hard to remember!

@Mensa - I used a flywheel from a Toyota Hilux/Tacoma that had the face machined, and am using a Clutchpro clutch kit.

Interestingly, the Rav4 gearbox spline does not have a spigot for a pilot bearing, even though one is provided in the kit. I guess this clutch kit fits something else also...

#49 ·
OK a few problems today:

Firstly, THE 3VZE FLYWHEEL IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE RAV4 GEARBOX!
I know I've been planning to use this for a while, but the ring gear is in the wrong place, and it sits too far from the block for the bellhousing and clutch to fit. I'll be looking for an OEM 1mzfe or 3vzfe flywheel now.

Secondly, I realised that that one of the engine mounts for 3vzfe is not able to be used in the rav, as there is no strengh in the radiator support to mount it to, so I will need to build a crossmember for this. I'll put up photos explaining this in more detail when I can.

#53 ·
ARP could have what you need. That are state of the art. Let me check and I'll give you the info. They are at a reasonable price. you can get them in New Zealand.

Update: Yes, they have them for 3SGTE, Camry, and Celica. But they have two sizes. I guess you will need the longer once. Price, 46.00 American dollars.

Where in New Zealnd? here, here2, here3

Let me keep digging.

Check here.

More update: R00BZ, this is hell of an information for the 1MZ-FE mate from Turbo Magazine

#58 ·
Wow, impressive. Great job R00ZB. Your the leader now. I hope you've documented everything. After a days thrashing, just sit down and write everything that has affected, challenged and complicated things for you. That, IMHO, would be the bible for this project. I saw something the other day. A Suzuki with the V6 badge :rolleyes:. Easy, get one of those badge and do your; "RAV6" Badge.

#63 ·
OK so I've had it running for a while now, but been a bit slack with posting updates... Got a couple of parts to find before I can put her back together properly, but it's coming along nicely...

Anyway so here's a pic of when I was starting to sort out the wiring loom:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.