Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Non-signal Side Mirrors switch with Signaled Mirrors

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Benjielo 
#1 ·
Hi i have a sports edition 2011 rav4 and i wanted to replace the side mirrors with signal mirrors, is this possible or is the port and wires different and cannot be installed? I just ordered some parts from Toyota, white side mirror caps/covers so it'll have the nice matching look, it was $140 total, but i was thinking should i order two signaled side mirrors on ebay for ~$200 then order the side mirror caps from toyota that's painted already for ~$140 instead? If it can be installed. It'll be better in the long run but if it's not possible, it'll at least make me feel better that i didn't do that instead. Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm in the same boat as you are, but I have a 2012 Rav4 base 4cyl fwd with the 3rd row option only, and not a sport. One way you can find out which mirror plugs in your Rav is finding out if it was made in japan or canada since they have different plugs, and find out if it's plug n play (usually sport models are though). As for me, id rather just buy the mirrors from the dealer, but that's a $650 investment! There are a few threads out there with more info.

#3 ·
Yea or you can go the route of buying the limited side mirrors on ebay for about $200 for the pair then buy painted mirror covers for the mirrors at toyota for ~$150 and now you have the limited mirrors for about $350. However again i'm not sure the connectors are compatible as other editions might not have heated mirrors and I don't know if there's already a port for signal markers. I guess the safest way is to just replace the mirror covers if you don't know how and if the connectors/ports are compatible. Pretty useless if you have mirrors with signal markers and they don't work.

#5 ·
uEih,
I just replaced the std mirrors with heated/signal units on my 2011RAV4 Sport, 4 cyl, AWD. The key, as someone stated, is to determine where your vehicle was built. Then you will need to verify the connectors that are on your current mirrors. This requires removing the door panel on one side. The Canadian built models will use a rounded 2-piece modular connector, while the Japanese built connectors are one piece, rectangular. I prefer OEM so I purchased salvage mirrors from a yard in Ontario,Can for my Canadian built vehicle. They run around $150 -200 depending on condition. If you choose this route, be sure to have the sales guy send you clear ephotos of the part your considering to be sure of condition/connector style.

I like the blacked-out look so I painted mine flat black and top coated with satin clear acrylic for a more discrete appearance. Buying prepainted is a good idea and will save you much time but it'll cost $$. BTW the heated/signal mirrors were an option for the 2011, 4 cyl, AWD, Sport model so it was a plug and play, just a matter of getting the correct connectors.
Regards,
GRBud

#8 ·
So, Meander. You have the same model as I, and you have the heated signal mirrors? I was just assuming since my Rav didn't come with the wiring harness for my OEM foglights. I had to use some aftermarket kit. That is why I was thinking that if I Rav didn't come with the OEM foglight harness, then it also wouldnt come pre-wired to install the heated signal mirrors. Then just like I did with the front bumper, I just may have to take out the door panel as well to verify :/

#9 ·
So, Meander. You have the same model as I, and you have the heated signal mirrors? I was just assuming since my Rav didn't come with the wiring harness for my OEM foglights. I had to use some aftermarket kit.
Be advised that Meander is in CANADA, where the standard equipment is different than in the USA. They get stuff like standard tow prep for the V6, a de-icer for the wiper area of the windshield, and heated mirrors.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, Japan-built RAV4's come with the wiring for fog lights, whereas Canada-built ones don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.