Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

LED lights for Rav4

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  crazyypilot 
#1 ·
I just bought this 2X Car 7443 7440 T20 68 LED 5050 SMD Tail Brake Light Lamp Bulbs | eBay led light from ebay. I wanted to be the brightest of the bright. Everything was going well until I started to put my signal light on (front and rear). Once I was going down the road. I turn my blinker on and it was blingking really fast (as if your bulbs were broken) but it was not. My hazard blink is normal. But the turn signal light is very fast. Is it because of the low wattage of the LED? Any suggestions or ideas?

On the other hand, do not get this size of bulb for you front/rear signal lights. They are too big. Rear signal spot has an additional layer of yellow plastic, and front sighnal spot has an inner yellow housing of small bulb. The size of this LED is bigger for both front/rear signal housing. I went around it and used it still. I just used maskin tape, duct tape over to hold onto the signal housing plug. Kind of rigged but no one really knows. Everything looks normal.

I am looking for a smaller set of LED that's stays on when parking light is activated and lights even brighter when the break is applied. Once again, these LED that I bought only lights up when break is applied. I learned my lesson that hard way. But I am still looking for a LED for rear parking light and break light (2 in 1 special).

On the positive note, since I had my heart set on these LEDs, I just used them and taped them. Plus only the reverse light fits for the LEDs. It is very bright and nice.

See less See more
#3 ·
Since you have a 2002 model, I moved this thread to the 4.2 area. The 4.3 models come equipped with LED tail lights and brake lights from the factory.

#6 ·
Don't assume.

Phrede; said:
A 2002 is a 4.2 not 4.3, which is why this was moved.

My last was posts WAS NOT aimed at Junebug. He already stated why he moved it. i already know the previous statement about 2002 rav4 type bulb. Hope everyone can understand English well and not get confused with this. I hope this will be the final post about this confusion. Thank you.

#7 ·
@phrede with the LEDs that I bought, it fits the back-up (reverse) light perfectly. Only set back of this LEDs is that once the parking light switch were turned on, the LEDs does not turned on. It only turns on when brake is applied. So it's completely useless at night due to lack of working rear parking lights.

#8 ·
That doesn't sound right--the backup lights should only come on when the transmission is in reverse. As for the turn signals flashing rapidly, you need to replace the flasher with an electronic flasher. The regular flasher is being fooled into thinking a lamp is burned out.

I got these lamps for my backup lights a while back. They were like $12 and only have 30 LED's, while the ones you got have 68 LED's. I was disappointed that mine were not brighter:

#9 ·
I should have specified. The back-up lights only turn on when in reverse mode. The second problem I ran into with the lights I ordered was that the LEDs do not turn on when the parking lights were switched on. These LEDs only comes on when break is applied. The bulb that I currently used is similar to the stock bulb for the break light (with a blue coating). The bulb with 2 sets of wires inside (one for parking, one for break applied). I need an LED with dual light (one for parking and one for when break is applied). Any ideas?

Ryan

#10 ·
What is the number of the regular bulb used? Sounds like it would be a standard 1157 or 2157 dual filament bulb. These have 3 contacts on the bottom. Surely the make an LED equivalent for those.

#12 ·
I love the Quicklift struts, they have worked perfectly since day one I went with the cheapest version--it's not a show car so I couldn't justify the stainless ones. I did paint the mounting brackets black, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.