Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Struts Replaced on 2004

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ronbo1313 
#1 ·
Did the front. 127,500 miles on the original. Removal ( 2 hours) and replacement ( 2 hours) was easy for me. The problem was trying to remove the springs with a clam shell compressor and then the two screw type compressor. A NO GO with both and two hours wasted.:frown

Took the old struts and new parts to a garage and they did the job for $50.:smile

$150 for two Monroe Premium Struts
$45 two Deeza end links stabilizer bar
$70 two KYB mount/bearing
$30 two KYB rubber bellows
$50 install by garage for strut replacement
Total $345

This vid on a 2011 replacement was helpful. My strut bolts were 19mm , the 2011 has 22mm. I use a plastic milk crate on each side to hold the brake drum to keep the cv joint from separating.

#2 ·
Before I did the job myself, I got a quote from a good mechanic. He quoted $900 for the front struts and that includes an alignment. He did not give a parts break down.

Then he told me that right rear right coil spring is broken and he recommend that the shocks be replaced at the same time. He gave a quote of $600.

I think there was $131 sales tax since the total quote was over $1600.:surprise
I told him that I'm going trade the vehicle in:wink. he told me OK but there is a $32 inspection fee. I told him , no problem and paid it.

You can see my cost in the first post for the struts. He was right the rear coil is broken. I got Moog #81141 for $43 a pair on rockauto.com plus about $8.00 shipping. The shocks were replaced by me in 2012. I'm wait to the end of this week to do the job. I found a vid on a 2003 Rav4 on youtube for the replacement. I'll post my results when the job is done.:D

#3 ·
Great work. Doing the work yourself always feels great. I replaced the front struts on my 04. While I was doing a tire rotation the other day, I saw that the rear right spring is broken, so now Im looking to replace it. Just need some time.

#4 · (Edited)
Here's the youtube vid on 2003 RAV4 for rear coil replacement . His also broke on the right hand side. The 2003 RAV4 coils are the same part # as the 2004 RAV4.

I just checked rockauto and the" complete struts" are now available for the 2004 RAV4 in both KYB and Gabriel. I had my parts bought a few years ago when quick struts for my year (2004) weren't available.

#5 ·
That Powerbilt will not fit under the RAV4 using the recommended jack point in the owners manual. The PB minimum height is too high. The height at the rear is 8.5 inch and the front is less than 8 inches. The Powerbilt minimum height is 9.75 inches. Well it won't work for mine which is a 05 unless yours is higher than 9.75 inches. Don't use the pinch rails as those are too weak. The previous owner tried on my car and it is crunched up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.