Did the 2AZ-FE swap - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.2 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Did the 2AZ-FE swap

Hi.
I have now done a 1AZ to 2AZ swap and it works great! The 1az-fe engine have too little low-end torque for my taste and does not work well in the Rav. So I decided to do a swap to the 2.4 liter 2AZ-FE.
I got my hands on a used engine from a 2001 Previa with about 150k km on it ( same year as my Rav , the rav has about 250k km ) .
I have read about the oil problems and loose headbolts issues with the 2.4 engine, so I decided to tear it appart and do a complete checkup and overhaul ,using the original workshop manual.
I did a rebuild and honed the cylinders, changed all bearings, rings on pistons, gaskets, new waterpump, sensors, timing kit etc, re-grinded the valves, shaved cylinderhead 0.5mm, ported and polished head, installed new BrianCrower cams stage 2 and BC valve springs and retainers.
When I did the swap in the car, I decided it was easiest to take the complete engine/gearbox down from the underside of the car, I loosend the complete sub-frame, but left the shocks, stabilizer and steering rack in the car.
I also changed the clutch when I had the transmission apart from the engine!
When everything was back together, I ran the starter without sparkplugs in the car to build up oil pressure, the car ran a little rough at first, but after some adjustment of the idle control, and bleeding the coolant it ran great!
I use the stock 1AZ-FE ECU but the 2AZ-FE injectors, these two things are the only difference i could find on the two engines, the rest of sensors are the same, including the fuel pump, pressure regulator, MAF sensor etc.
The new 2.4 engine have quite a lot more low-end torque and fits this car a lot better than the stock 2.0 litre. I am very pleased with the result 
I only ran in to some minor issues under the build/swap.

first: there is several different engine side covers , the bolt holes and the angle for the engine mount are not the same, be sure to change the cover to one that fits your car ( 1AZ-FE and 2AZ-FE covers are interchangeble )

second: When I mounted the engine back together after the overhaule, I did a mistake when I put on the silicone between the upper and lower engine-block. So I ended up with a huge oil leak in the front of the engine ( I tried to fix this with epoxy / liquid metal, but I ended up taking it apart again to re-seal it properly )

third: I used the exhaust mani / cat converter from the Previa since the stock from my Rav was dead and throwing me codes once a week. I noticed when I was bolting up the exhaust, the bolts didn`t fit, they had moved the bolt holes about one cm "anti clock-wise" So i had to cut of the flange on my exhaust and re-weld it to make the bolts line up.

I have a lot of photos from the engine build,but is only able to add 25 images for some odd reason? so here is a little taste

needs a cleanup!
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
before and after clean
[IMG][/IMG]
valves before clean and rework
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

used this to hone the cylinders
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
result
[IMG][/IMG]
The port an polish
before
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
during
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
finnish
[IMG][/IMG]
Painting the engine block
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
installing BC cam`s
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][URL=http://s362.photobucket.com/user/LegendOfNorway/media/Rav4/2015-05-07%2017.48.09_zpsmctjaeof.jpg.html]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2002 Toyota Rav4 2.4 VVTi Sport. Mods:2AZ swap, BC stage 2 cam`s, P&P cylinder head, K&N Air filter, TTE dual exhaust, Ironmann lift kit, 255/60-R16 General Grabber AT tires
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lid`en For This Useful Post:
Dr. Dyno (05-08-2016), JuneBug (08-26-2016), RTexasF (08-27-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well done and great pictures. I think this is the first post I seen with pictures for a second gen engine swap. This thread will provide valuable information in the future for those that are considering an engine swap from 1AZ to a 2AZ.

I see your profile shows you are mechanic. Did you do this at work? How long did it take from start to finish?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you DL175

Yes I did all the work my self ( exept decking the cylinder head ). The engine build was done over a longer period ( started dismanteling the engine last summer and was finished this spring ), I was only able to do a little work each time in some weekends, so the total time of this i`m not sure about, and I did not rush this. I did all the measuring according to the workshop manual on the 2AZ-FE engine and changed every gasket, bearings, etc. and the port and polish of the cylinder head took a lot of time.
But the swap itself was done in about 10-12 hrs with a car lifter, air tools, fork lifter, lifter table , and some good friends ( I did not count the oil leak, exhaust fitment issues etc in this time ) It can be done a lot faster I guess, but this was the first time I did this in a Rav4 .
I took down the complete undercarrier to get the engine and gearbox out, after this I had to do a wheel alignment also.

I wanted to add more photos of the swap, but I only get to add 25 images for some reason. If anyone knows how to add more, please share

2002 Toyota Rav4 2.4 VVTi Sport. Mods:2AZ swap, BC stage 2 cam`s, P&P cylinder head, K&N Air filter, TTE dual exhaust, Ironmann lift kit, 255/60-R16 General Grabber AT tires

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

The limit is 25 pictures for Regular membership. There is also a Premium and Life Time Membership which allows 250 pictures. Check it out by looking at the top right corner of the page under Get Premium.

So it looks like you can not post any more pictures unless you upgrade your membership. (I counted only 23 pictures on this page ?)
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 08:34 PM

Hi Lid'em,
Great write up and photos. Thanks for sharing.
Did you use the original gearbox from the 2L engine with the 2.4L engine? The reason I'm asking is because I recently bought a used gearbox & transfer case from a 2.4L engine as spare (because it was cheap and had only done about 156,000 Kms). I was told that it would fit on the 2L engine. So if your 2L gearbox fitted, chances are that the 2.4L gearbox will be compatible with the 2L engine.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
DL175: You are rigth, I also only count 23, not sure why I had to delete the rest to get it uploaded?

Aslan: Yes I used the original gearbox from the 2L, both engine block`s are identical , so there will be no problem using the 2.4 gearbox on the 2L

Looks like I managed to uplode more images after all, just not in the same post

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
some more photos of work during the port and polish, some bearing checks with plastigauge etc

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 06:57 PM

Thank you very much Lid'en. I really appreciate your responding so quickly. I have another question that I raised in another post, but I haven't had any response yet. In your opinion do you think it is possible to remove and replace the transfer case whilst the engine and gearbox are still in the car?
Maybe one day I'll do the engine swap as well. My Rav has only done 160,000kms. Have you noticed much difference in fuel consumption yet?
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 03:59 AM

Garage
I love those detailed photos, but mostly I love that rebuild. I wonder how much that cost you time and money.

WHAT IS THIS?
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Aslan: Yes I belive it`s possible to remove only the transfer case , I think that if you want to take down the gearbox with the engine remaining in the car, you have to take off the transfe case first. It was a PITA to get the complete gearbox and tf case on to the new engine when the whole thing was out of the car. So I would imagine that this is almost impossible with the engine still in the car. I think there are some gaskets and O- rings betwene the trans case and gearbox to keep the oils from blending, but I`m not sure. I have never taken mine apart.
The fuel consumption is about the same I think, if not lower depending on the driving. With the 2L I had to step in it all the time to get up hills, but with the 2.4 is pulling at low rpm`s and do not stress, so I dont have to use as much pedal and can drive at lower rpm`s We have a under-sea tunnel witch is very steep. with the old engine I had to use third gear an almost redlining the engine to maintain the speed, with the new I can use fifth gear and no "pedal to the metal" and it holds the speed, and the car continues to accelerate if I floor it.

Ahya728: I got the engine very cheap ( 5500,- NOK ) so in part`s ( cams, springs, gaskets, etc ) it has cost me about 15.000,- NOK in total i guess. The work has been for free ( exept some pizza for my helping friends when we did the swap )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page