Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Timing Chain Cover Removal

14K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MNRAV4 
#1 ·
The timing chain cover on my son's 2005 RAV4 needs to be replaced (explanation below for those interested).

I ordered a Haynes manual from Amazon to help with the job but I want to get started today. (I could not find a source for a factory service manual, aside from e-renting from Toyota for too much $$. The account that the rav4world administrator had with the manuals is blocked.)

My first question - will we be dropping the right side of the engine to access the cover or raising it up? It makes a difference as to whether we disconnect the engine mount at the engine or the fender mount.

This is what happened: The actuator piston on the serpentine belt tensioner broke, and when it did, the bolt that anchors the actuator to the engine snapped. When this happened it also destroyed the seat where the actuator mounts to the timing chain cover. He had an accident a little over a year ago on the quadrant. I suspect that cracked the tensioner actuator piston and it finally gave way.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

See less See more
#4 ·
it is possible to remove the cover by only removing the passenger side mount, you will be jacking the engine up to remove some bolts, and letting the engine down to remove others, it is a tight fit even with the mount removed.
If you remove the front engine mounts it will make the job a lot easier because it allows to raise the engine farther giving plenty of room to do what you need to do.
Removing the front mounts can be a pain because you cannot see what you are doing, and your wrist will be a bit contorted at times, but otherwise the job is easy.

IMO, remove the timing cover with only the fender mount removed works fine, but installing with the front mounts removed makes the job a lot easier, especially since you need the cover sealed. I got it right on my first attempt, others have done it and found a leak afterward. This isn't a job you want to do twice.

#6 ·
something very important I should mention, you do not remove the front mounts, you only remove the bolts from each
getting the bolts back in is easy, it is tightening it that is the problem because you cannot see what you are doing and your hand will be at an angle that is tiring
BTW, click on my name and find my previosu posts, go back two years and find the repair head gasket thread, you will need to do many of the same procedures, there are a few tips that will help greatly for the do-it-yourselfer

here it is: head gasket replace, how to?
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/88-4-2-faults-fixes/169313-head-gasket-replace-how.html

skip down to the 9th post, posts before that are basically people telling me not to do it :)
p[ost #38 will give an idea of removing the front mount bolts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.