Disabling the TPMS?? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.2 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Disabling the TPMS??

Hey guys, I have a quick question. Is there anyway to disable the Tire Pressure Monitoring System? The light keep on going off and I've checked tire pressure and resetting it, but it will go off for about 10 miles before it lights back on again.

So I want to disable it completely. I mean who needs it anyways right? How did we survive before??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,150 Times in 829 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Disabling the TPMS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN712
Hey guys, I have a quick question. Is there anyway to disable the Tire Pressure Monitoring System? The light keep on going off and I've checked tire pressure and resetting it, but it will go off for about 10 miles before it lights back on again.

So I want to disable it completely. I mean who needs it anyways right? How did we survive before??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
You could try unplugging the ECU for the TPMS. In the 4.3 models, it's located behind the glove box, I don't know if it would be the same for your 4.2.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 09:34 AM

Anyone confirm if this actually works? This winter I don't plan on getting another set of TMPS for the other set of rims, and seeing an annoying light would bother me.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 09:47 AM

I saw this in another forum for the Toyota Tundra - I wonder if this would be the same for the Rav 4:

Quote:
My light started flashing too, after checking all 5 tires repeatedly and trying the reset & waiting 20 min. each time, it would not reset.

The TPMS computer is accessible without taking apart the radio and dash panels.

I took the glove box out (2 screws below glove box), removed the inner liner behind the glove box (3 screws) and if you look up towards the radio you can see the TPMS module, Toyota even labled it for us.
It is tight, but my hands are big and I was able to unplug the connector, cut the Pink wire w/silver bands and ground it to a nearby screw. Plug the connector back in to the TPMS module and guess what? - NO MORE F***ING flashing light!

It took me about 10 min. on my break at work after reading the previous posts. Thanks for the help, thought I would try to clarify and make it easier for the next person.

(note: there are 2 pink wires, both are pink w/silver bands, but one has a thin black stripe on it, this wire has 12 volts! Make sure you cut the pink without the stripe. Luckily I tested the 2 wires first with my meter, they both have voltage going through them. The wire you cut - pink w/silver bands - has about 8 volts but it caused no problems when I grounded it so that must occur in the TPMS module when it isn't malfunctioning?)
Where is the Rav 4 TPMS sensor? Is it under the seats or behind the glovebox as well?
#5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:26 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00ber
I saw this in another forum for the Toyota Tundra - I wonder if this would be the same for the Rav 4:

Quote:
My light started flashing too, after checking all 5 tires repeatedly and trying the reset & waiting 20 min. each time, it would not reset.

I took the glove box out (2 screws below glove box), removed the inner liner behind the glove box (3 screws) and if you look up towards the radio you can see the TPMS module, Toyota even labled it for us.
It is tight, but my hands are big and I was able to unplug the connector, cut the Pink wire w/silver bands and ground it to a nearby screw. Plug the connector back in to the TPMS module and guess what? - NO MORE F***ING flashing light!

It took me about 10 min. on my break at work after reading the previous posts. Thanks for the help, thought I would try to clarify and make it easier for the next person.

(note: there are 2 pink wires, both are pink w/silver bands, but one has a thin black stripe on it, this wire has 12 volts! Make sure you cut the pink without the stripe. Luckily I tested the 2 wires first with my meter, they both have voltage going through them. The wire you cut - pink w/silver bands - has about 8 volts but it caused no problems when I grounded it so that must occur in the TPMS module when it isn't malfunctioning?)
Where is the Rav 4 TPMS sensor? Is it under the seats or behind the glovebox as well?
Hmm....good info. I'm going to try this and report back next week. I'm doing a full detail on the car.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:27 AM

You need to retrain the TMPS system.

Make sure all your tires are at the correct pressure.

Turn the ignition ON (do not start engine).
Put the handbrake ON.

Hold the RESET button until the light flashes 3 times.

The retrain procedure is not complete until the vehicle is driver over 19mph or faster for an hour. During this time, the TMPS system may not be able to detect a low tire, so make sure all tires are at the correct pressure before you start.

G
#7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN712
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00ber

Quote:

Hmm....good info. I'm going to try this and report back next week. I'm doing a full detail on the car.
SORRY TO BUMP IT BUT WAHT'S THE UPDATE? HOW CAN I DISCONECT IT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page