Back-up camera parallel system - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.2 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Back-up camera parallel system

My head unit has input for a back-up cam, which I installed along with the head unit. It has a reverse sensor so that the screen automatically switches to the cam when the shifter is moved into reverse. I wired this in with the reverse lights since those were near the camera and a logical line to tap into for this effect. The challenge I presented myself with was I wanted to install a switch to turn on the camera at any time, but not light up the reverse lights. When flipping the switch, I wanted the head unit to think I was in reverse and automatically change to that screen. I didn't want to run any more than one wire from the front to the back, so with the help of a couple diodes, I managed to meet this goal. First, the shot of my "schematic." Keep in mind, I don't know the actual symbols, so I used my own.

The power source for the switch is the cigarette lighter in the center console. This goes to the switch panel behind the drink holders (below the climate controls). Into the back-up sensor of the head unit, then down the line to the back of the Rav. The diodes prevent current from going to the reverse lights. The placement of the diodes allows for current to go from the reverse lights to both the camera (to power it) and to the back-up sensor in the head unit. The reverse light has it's own power source (I did not include it in the drawing) which also powers the camera when the vehicle is in reverse. The theory seemed like it would work fine and in fact, it works exactly the way I intended. Now I can be driving forward and be able to switch on the back-up camera to view behind me without the reverse lights coming on, as well as have the camera while in reverse; both scenarios cause the head unit to automatically flip the the camera's view.

A picture showing the wiring job:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to kingnba6
nice write up ! i did this on my 04 rav4 a while ago. but i didnt install a switch.

just wondering why you did install a switch tho ?

2004 Rav4 I4 FWD
Mileage-21056 as of 8/20/11
Clarion NX500 with -Rearview Camera
-Video bypass
-iPod connection
-HD Radio
Fog lights with Halo Ring.
Tints
Viper 5902 Alarm System with -Window Roll Down Module
-Automatic Start
-Viper HD Remote
-Clifford 7752x Remote
#3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Did you ever have one of those ahh haa moments that came just a little too late? After I posted this, it hit me like a ton of bricks...only one of those diodes was needed and the line coming off the camera does not need split, only tapped into the line connecting the camera and the head unit (via a diode). That's a revelation that would have been useful YESTERDAY. Woopsie! I guess that's what happens when you're not a pro, but you know enough to be dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post
nice write up ! i did this on my 04 rav4 a while ago. but i didnt install a switch.

I really don't have a good answer for this other than the fact that I can and wanted to! It's not going to serve some tremendously wonderful purpose, other than the fact that I can turn on the camera anytime without having to put the vehicle in reverse.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Your Humble Administrator

Thanked 1,068 Times in 775 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnba6 View Post

So he can read the license plate of the idiot that's tailgating him! Assuming they have front plates.

James

2008 Limited V6 2WD "The Silver Bullet"

#5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 AM

Thanx for your post.

I need to find reversing wire from the front to power the monitor. any one can help me pls.
I got toyota rav4 2005 model. For the rear view monitor I got three cable....one to the 12+ volt, another to the negative and finally 12+ volt reversing wire. which hurting me lot to find. any one pls help me
The Following User Says Thank You to some1myself For This Useful Post:
earthrealm (01-30-2013)
#6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 12:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to crazyypilot Send a message via MSN to crazyypilot
can you do a new wiring diagram and what diodes i wanna add the cam to my headunit and the switch to turn it on at any time would be nice as well
#7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to earthrealm
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1myself View Post
Thanx for your post.

I need to find reversing wire from the front to power the monitor. any one can help me pls.
I got toyota rav4 2005 model. For the rear view monitor I got three cable....one to the 12+ volt, another to the negative and finally 12+ volt reversing wire. which hurting me lot to find. any one pls help me
THE 3RD WIRE, WHCIH YOU ARE CALLING reversing wire comes from ur headunit...ie if u buy the one with reverse cam sensor/input..pioneer avh4400 hu has this function,..

2005 4runner auto sr5 4wd v6 galactic gray.
2003 rav4 auto I4 4wd titanuim silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page