Brakes squeaky after change. Bearings? - Page 2 - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.2 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It sounds like you installed new pads without turning or replacing the rotors.. which is always going to make for a noisy situation in my experience... then you got the rotors turned... You will still get a squeek at least for a while until you re-wear the pads to the new surface of the rotor. That might be a long time.. might wear the rotor a little weird too.. not sure. Usually you do both (new pads, turn rotors) at the same time... then no squeek... but shims are important and could be even more important in this case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to ronbo1313 Send a message via Yahoo to ronbo1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlman View Post
It sounds like you installed new pads without turning or replacing the rotors.. which is always going to make for a noisy situation in my experience... then you got the rotors turned... You will still get a squeek at least for a while until you re-wear the pads to the new surface of the rotor. That might be a long time.. might wear the rotor a little weird too.. not sure. Usually you do both (new pads, turn rotors) at the same time... then no squeek... but shims are important and could be even more important in this case.
On my 2004 (104,000 miles) I replaced the front pads three times (always with ceramic). Never turned the rotors but on last pad replacement thought the inner rotor was scored so replaced. Removing the rotors found they were OK.
It's recommended that rotors be replaced NOT turned. When you turn you lose metal and have less metal to deal with the high heat of ceramic pads.
I never had any brake noise. I do lube my shims and sliding pins at least once yearly in the past but from now on twice yearly because of high heat from ceramic pads.
I would say the OP needs grease on shims/sliding caliper pins.
Also what material are the new pads, organic, semi-metallic or ceramic? My 2004 calls for ceramic. New shims usually come with the new brake pads.

Last edited by ronbo1313; 12-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page