Brakes squeaky after change. Bearings? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.2 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brakes squeaky after change. Bearings?

So I change my front brake pads on my 2004 rav4 about 3 months ago. After that it was super squeaky which I thought was them bedding in. Today I changed the rotors and it still squawks just the same. Even bedded them in again. So a couple people say check the bearings. Is changing the bearings a do it yourself job or service only?

The current squeak changes pitches and is not constant. It happens going strait or turning and does not do it more or less with either. Happens only at low speeds like less than 35. I don't understand what is up. There is no grease on the rotors or pad surface, everything looks to be right. Anyone have some ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 PM

mine did the same. eventually went after six months. i think the pads i used were too hard. what type did you use.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Pads need to break in, plus there's a lubricant or something you're supposed to apply to the rotors

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
#4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rav4inPA View Post
Pads need to break in, plus there's a lubricant or something you're supposed to apply to the rotors
You should never lubricate the rotors > reduces friction > and braking relies on friction.

My front brakes squeeked after dealer replaced front rotors and pads. The reason was that they forgot to install anti squeel shims. In your case it might be that if you are using your old shims they are too corroded to work properly.

Btw - the shims should be greased according to the service manual - but never rotors.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 AM

(Thread Starter)
Definatly never lubed the rotors lol and I bout whatever brake pads that were not ceramic from advanced auto parts and same for the rotors. So yes or no to the bearings? DIY or no?
#6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 01:54 AM

(Thread Starter)
Oh and tell me more about these shims?
#7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 AM

Garage
Hi your front pads should have anti squal shims in they are metals plates the same shape as the pad .if they are not there they may still be stuck to old pads you took off !

Front wheel bearing do not normally squeal its more like a rumble but they are "press out " bearings and are one unit per side not split in to two tapered ok

Hope this helps
#8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 01:27 PM

(Thread Starter)
Ok so the shims are difinatly still there, however one is in two pieces. Anyone think that's the culprit and are these shims something that is readily available? Like do I have to go to Toyota to get them or are whatever the shop has laying around good enough.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legioona View Post
You should never lubricate the rotors > reduces friction > and braking relies on friction.

My front brakes squeeked after dealer replaced front rotors and pads. The reason was that they forgot to install anti squeel shims. In your case it might be that if you are using your old shims they are too corroded to work properly.

Btw - the shims should be greased according to the service manual - but never rotors.
I used the wrong term, should not have said lubricate. There is a chemical that is applied to make sure they grab correctly. Its on my invoice

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
#10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 AM

Garage
Hi yes you can get an after market set of shims but please do not just put anything in you will give yourself much more grief if you do that !

yes the broken shim will vibrate as you apply the brakes and that will most likely be the cause of the squeal

Have you used copper grease when you installed the new pads to help them work right and with any after market pads i always give them a little file to take off the paint on them before fitting so they can slide better when fitted .

Please always remember that when you use brakes everything gets very hot so it expands with the heat if your pads are really tight when you fit them once they expand with heat they get even tighter so then the grease helps but use copper grease sparingly !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page