Disable ABS - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.2 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Disable ABS

Today was the first snowfall of 2012 where I live. The roads were icy and compact snow and generally awful conditions. Once again the ABS on my 2003 Rav4 was DECREASING my stopping time especially downhill and I feel no control of the vehicle.

When I got home I pulled the 40a fuse under the hood. Went out and tested it and what a difference. I can actually stop when I want to even on hills.

I don't mind the abs in rain and wet weather but in snowy conditions and gravel forest roads it really is ineffective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quick question, when you were experiencing the control issues with your ABS, did your light ever come on during this?

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
#3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:18 PM

(Thread Starter)
The light has never come on.

It is on now that I pulled the fuse.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Ok. I was just curious if maybe your problems stemmed from low brake fluid or a bad sensor. I've never tried it before, but I haven't ever driven a car where the ABS increased my braking distance. I've slid on ice before and ABS doesn't help in this condition (nor does anything else lol) but I don't feel like it's a good idea to disable it all together. Idk, maybe it's just me...

2003 Toyota Rav4 -- 2.0 VVT-I/Auto/4WD, 93k

Current Mods: Bugflector, AVS Ventvisors, Eclipse AVN30D, OEM Foglights, OEM Heated Mirrors

Future Mods: OEM rear-spoiler, OEM 'Sport' hood
#5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rav4inPA View Post
Ok. I was just curious if maybe your problems stemmed from low brake fluid or a bad sensor. I've never tried it before, but I haven't ever driven a car where the ABS increased my braking distance. I've slid on ice before and ABS doesn't help in this condition (nor does anything else lol) but I don't feel like it's a good idea to disable it all together. Idk, maybe it's just me...
ABS has been awful since we've had the vehicle. Fluid is fine and to the best of my knowledge sensors are fine. I like the ABS in wet/dry conditions but absolutely not on snow, ice, gravel or mud.

I used to be able to stop faster in a Ford Mustang and Dodge K car than my rav4 with ABS!
#6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

So I guess you meant to say your stopping time was INCREASING?

WJBertrand
2011 Rav4
#7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroat22 View Post
Today was the first snowfall of 2012 where I live. The roads were icy and compact snow and generally awful conditions. Once again the ABS on my 2003 Rav4 was DECREASING my stopping time especially downhill and I feel no control of the vehicle.

When I got home I pulled the 40a fuse under the hood. Went out and tested it and what a difference. I can actually stop when I want to even on hills.

I don't mind the abs in rain and wet weather but in snowy conditions and gravel forest roads it really is ineffective.
Since you pulled the 40a fuse and have driven for a month how would you rate the braking ability of your Rav4 now? Is the light still on on the dash? Have you noticed any other issues?
#8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 11:18 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryh86GT View Post
Since you pulled the 40a fuse and have driven for a month how would you rate the braking ability of your Rav4 now? Is the light still on on the dash? Have you noticed any other issues?
Braking ability is good. I've never had a problem with rav braking except when ABS is involved. The light stays on as long as the fuse is pulled and goes off after it's back in. There are no other issues caused by pulling the fuse as far as I can tell.

We had some crummy conditions (icy roads) here few days ago and I had the fuse in. Almost went through an intersection as I was coming to a SLOW stop down hill the rav just wouldn't stop because the wheels would sense skidding and just keep going and pumping...very unnerving. After popping the fuse it was no problem to stop anymore even on slick stuff and downhills.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 AM

The Rav4 is my wife's car and I don't drive it often. My car (not a Toyota) stops really good (I trust it's ABS but rarely need it) in the snow and ice. But a couple days ago I was driving the Rav4 at night, there was just an inch of fresh crunchy snow on the street, it's cold and dry and not icy, I was going slow making a turn, braked and the ABS kicked in half way in the turn, the car locks on an angle, and slowly the car heads to the stop sign at the corner, not slowing down at all, not turning, and just before we hit the curb and stop sign I let off the brake (just the opposite of what you feel like you should do) and the car stopped sliding and proceeded to turn. I have had my doubts about this car's ABS before and now I know I do not like it. The ABS did not seem to slow the car down in the slide at all. It seemed like the brakes were locked up all the time even the the ABS felt like it was kicking in and out. It's very odd. I have driven through 45 western NY winters and I know this is just not the way the car should handle in these conditions.

Why don't you just leave the fuse out???
#10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 AM

This is not a Rav4 problem but a technical limitation of all ABS. On very slick surfaces ABS is not as effective as threshold braking. This is a point well known by rally drivers and off road enthusiasts. The road right outside my house is pack ice and cinders and I experience the ABS slide.

How ever I would not want to give up ABS at high speeds on good road conditions. Many serious offroaders install modified relays with a wire going to a switch at the dash so they can turn ABS on and off easily on the fly. This would be nice especially if there were some electronics at the switch.

I would want ABS on by default and then off when switched off with it coming back on as soon as speed is over 30mph and then back off when slowed below 30 if the switch is still off. When I say on by default I mean like the over drive button with an automatic where if it switched off and you restart the car it is on again.

Of course my 2004 has more electronics and is drive drive by wire and has traction control and vsc which use the ABS so it is probably not advisable for 04-05. On other hand if it also turns these off it may be even more useful in a few situations.

On the road in my Rav4 since February, Traveling, Volunteering, Camping and also enjoying beer bikes and bacon. Check out the blog www.servicedriven.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page