Boost controller??? - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.2 D.I.Y. and Modifications Share your RAV4.2 projects and ideas for future mods here!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Boost controller???

Hi guys, new to the forum and rav4 ownership. Anyways iv been trying to install a manual boost controller to my d4d without much success. I vaguely remember reading that these things don't work on all turbos and I can't find the info again can anyone clarify?? Or is there anyone who has been successful in cranking up the boost a bit if so how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 PM

First, do you understand how a turbo works? The waste gate controls the boost pressure by opening letting exhaust gases bypass the turbine. The waste gate is usually actuated by boost pressure from the discharge side of the turbo.

The Supra has a rubber line running form the compressor side of the turbo to the waste gate. So we would put a manual boost controller "in line" between the pressure side and the waste gate.

So look at the turbo exhaust housing, look for the waste gate actuator. See if it has a line running to it like the Supra:

Whats in the Garage..... Well the yard!

2003 Toyota RAV4 - Base - AWD - 5 Speed Manual
1987 Toyota Supra - Turbo Targa Top - 1UZ-FE Swap No. 2 in the works!
1987 Toyota Supra - NA Hard Top - 1UZ-FE In, Hit the 25,000+ Mile Mark - Supercharger? ITBs? Anyones Guess!

MidEast Region Supra Owners
#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Turbos also work different on Diesels than on gas engines. Boost is limited by the volume of fuel injected not necessarily the waste gate. Until you have enough fuel to overfuel as indicated by black smoke exhaust adding more air won't make more power.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
First, do you understand how a turbo works? The waste gate controls the boost pressure by opening letting exhaust gases bypass the turbine. The waste gate is usually actuated by boost pressure from the discharge side of the turbo.

The Supra has a rubber line running form the compressor side of the turbo to the waste gate. So we would put a manual boost controller "in line" between the pressure side and the waste gate.

So look at the turbo exhaust housing, look for the waste gate actuator. See if it has a line running to it like the Supra:

first, this isn't a supra its a rav 4 diesel engine, second i am fully aware how a turbo works. on a rav 4 the compressor output goes to the boost actuator via an electronically controlled solenoid. i have tried to bypass said solenoid with no luck. doing this i get no boost at all untill about 3500 then a spike in power. im guessing without unlocking the ecu, which in itself is a mission on a rav 4 4.2, it isnt possible.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM

Yes, I realize its a diesel RAV 4 engine. But a turbo is a turbo, all I wanted to do is cover all bases so the info given was not misunderstood. Just from your question I could not gather whether you had a understanding of how the system worked.

If the waste gate is controlled by a computer then you are correct, you would need to "un lock" the controller or the ECU, either may control the solenoid on the waste gate. If you can get a hold of the factory service manual you may be able to read up on how the boost is controlled and use that to your advantage.

Good luck!

Whats in the Garage..... Well the yard!

2003 Toyota RAV4 - Base - AWD - 5 Speed Manual
1987 Toyota Supra - Turbo Targa Top - 1UZ-FE Swap No. 2 in the works!
1987 Toyota Supra - NA Hard Top - 1UZ-FE In, Hit the 25,000+ Mile Mark - Supercharger? ITBs? Anyones Guess!

MidEast Region Supra Owners
#6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conners View Post
On a rav 4 the compressor output goes to the boost actuator via an electronically controlled solenoid. i have tried to bypass said solenoid with no luck. doing this i get no boost at all untill about 3500 then a spike in power. im guessing without unlocking the ecu, which in itself is a mission on a rav 4 4.2, it isnt possible.
Interesting, and you are correct the change to add more fuel has to be done via the ECU.
On the 7.3L Diesels like my F-250s it's common practice to disconnect the "vacuum" actually a pressure hose that connects to the waste gate. According to my boost gauge it doesn't increase max boost but allows it to build quicker. In a towing situation the effect is keeping exhaust temperatures under control better on uphills.
Max boost and power is determined by the setting of the chip (Bully Dog or TS Performance that plugs into the side of the ECM) via the knob on the dash. Stock it runs 12-14 psi. With the chip on max, 25 psi.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page