Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Whining noise at 40-50 mph solved? (updated on 8/26/10: TSB is out)

608K views 1K replies 189 participants last post by  Kremitch 
#1 ·
Went to Dealer for oil change and mentioned the whining noise again. The guy told me they need to change the ECM to solve this problem but they need to order the parts. Sounds like he knows what he is doing (They stated the noise was normal one year ago).
Brought my RAV4 in today and had the ECM changed. The noise is much faint now though it is not completely gone. Is there a TSB for this issue came out yet?

Updated on 8/26/2010: :p

The TSB is out. The number is T-SB-0192-10 (cerdit to hsvcara), and the link is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?11dr5qdpxgq0y74 (cerdit to ghen)

the canadian version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fcd8p419qnuoga6 (cerdit to hans_gregor )

Hope Kelly will put it in the "TSBs" soon.

#988 ·
The work order will confirm what unit is supposed to be installed. If the factory has mislabeled the shipping container for example the wrong unit will be installed. The dealership claims that once the trans is removed from the shipping container there is no way to verify if the unit is honed or not. The remanufacturer doesnt label or tag the trans in any way to identify it and there is no electronic way to confirm the part number through techstream etc. Possible I suppose but very odd. Paco

#989 ·
It doesn't matter if it's the right part number or not. If the new transmission is whining, it should be replaced under the TSB. Convincing the dealer to do this is another matter.

#992 ·
In my case the invoice notes a honed unit but the sticker on the trans says otherwise. The dealer says they don't always remove the old tags. Some rebuilt trans will have no tags, some old tags, possibly some have a new tag indicating the rebuilt trans has a honed or non honed unit. After it comes out of the shipping box its anybodies guess what it is? You would think they would tag the unit to identify it. Paco

#996 ·
Hi Revved4,
The sticker on the case itself appears to be from when the case was a new unit. The workorder only shows a part number not a serial number. The truth of the matter is likely on the torque converter which wouldnt be seen until the transaxle gets dropped. It may simply be a defective rebuild.

Paco

#998 · (Edited)
Yesterday, I took my 2010 v6 with 50k in to fix the whinning, before my warranty is over. The service adviser(sa), at the beginning said they would charge $59.99 for diagnostic fee and reimburse if they fix it under warranty. I said 'nonsense' and insisted to have a mechanic to drive with me. So sa went back to garage and when he came back, he said that mechanic already knew about the whinning and right away he
started making the paper work. I asked if they can skip the stage I and order the tranny right away, and he said they had to follow the tsb.
And they knew the stage I would not fix anything. I guess they make money either way. Maybe they make more money doing 2 jobs for one issue.lol.
Hope they fix it correctly. Also they gave me a corolla loaner, since it might take
couple of days to fix.( I guess he was talking about stage I or do they already have a tranny in stock?)

#999 ·
Hi Revved4,
The only sticker visible on the trans is the original, pre-rebuild sticker. The serial number originally stamped into the case does match the original sticker. My issue was that there is no sticker or tag visible that indicated the unit was one with the honed gear set. I have about a year left on the lease. If it gets bad it will go back for another trans. If it hangs in there till the end its Toyota's problem when they sell it off.

Paco

#1,000 ·
I got my car back and the noise is gone !
It only took 3 days to do the job. I think they never did stage I,
because on my invoice, only list the tranny change and couple of
recall lists. BTW invoice shows 30510-4H190-84, so it is correct tranny, I guess.
Anyway, I am happy camper now. Complements to my dealer.

#1,002 ·
I guess I'll chime in. I had my replacement done at about 46k miles or so back in July/August. The invoice wasn't the H code one, but they insisted that it was correct trans since they processed the TSB with Toyota and Toyota then handled the part.

I'm now at about 55k miles and still no sign of a whine coming back. I'm hoping that the invoice was just mislabeled. Either that or they wrote the wrong part number down. I have heard that since they are reman transmissions that the old part number is still on the housing even if it's the newer revision.

#1,005 ·
Quick update and question for you all that have had the transmission replaced. We have put a little over 500 miles on the new refurb'd transmission and although the noise is gone we are now getting a vibration or resonance in 5th gear at 50-60mph under constant speed. It is most definitely noticable when cold, and with our single digit temps it doesn't help. I first noticed this last night, it is my wife's vehicle so I don't get much time behind the wheel. After letting the vehicle warm up for a few mins I took it down the rd for a little drive. Once shifting into 5th and holding a constant speed of 55, the issue was very noticable in vibration and sound. Tonight we took the rav down the freeway to grab some supper. On the way home we took a county rd so I could see how the issue was when the transmission was up to optimal operating temperature. I held the speed at 55 in 4th gear and had no issues, untill i shifted into 5th gear at that same speed. The noise was still present but less noticable. Wondering if its the new mounts from the phase one fix and a goofy harmonic resonance due to the certain engine rpm at that speed or a final drive gear issue with the new transaxle. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Ill give it a few weeks so i can monitor it, then ill sched an apt if it doesn't clear itself up.

#1,006 ·
The only noise I got with new tranny was some kind if faint buzzing or resonance noise under the dash or in the front firewall. Only low speed driving when cold. Probably something loose. Not serious enough to complain.

#1,074 ·
I think I had this issue too...it was some brake pedal vacuum cylinder; there is also a TSB on it, it's like a $30 part, but they covered it for me under my VSA. If you have a warranty, it should be covered if it's the same issue. I noticed it when I rolled forward and applied the brakes and let go of the pedal, almost exclusively when the engine and car were cold....i'd hear a vibrating noise. They fixed whatever the TSB said and it hasn't ever come back.

#1,007 ·
friendly jacek, your buzzing from dashboard, is probably from brake booster. I had the brake booster changed, and the buzzing is gone. I think they have tsb also on that issue.

2 weeks after changing tranny, no more whinning and no issues here. No whinning is good, but now road noise is more pronounced. Maybe I couldn't hear before for the whinning.

#1,011 ·
friendly jacek, your buzzing from dashboard, is probably from brake booster. I had the brake booster changed, and the buzzing is gone. I think they have tsb also on that issue.
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the TS and I'll look into this.

Funny the noise wasn't there before the tranny job.

#1,008 ·
Just posted in the TSB section that my wife's Rav has been at the dealership for 3 solid days now just to change out the transmission mounts. I can't even begin to imagine how long it'd take them to change out the tranny. If we choose to go to a different dealership, say a larger one instead of the smaller local one to do the tranny swap if the noise remains, the new dealership should have the info that the trans mounts have been changed already right? I am on the Toyota Owners site and despite already having the latest recall done the site doesn't show it listed in the service history so I'm wondering if this dealership is even tapped into the main Toyota network. They should have to be right?

#1,009 ·
Well just got the answer I was hoping not to get. They need it another day. For those of you who have had the engine mounts (originally I was told tranny mounts) replaced, how many days did it take your dealership? This will be 4 days tomorrow that they've had it, 5 if you include Sunday which obviously they're not working. I thought engine mounts ( and was told by the service manager originally) were fairly easy and took a day tops. Anyone?

#1,012 ·
OK, all: I just had my transmission replaced for the TSB-0192-10 related gear whine for an '09 with a V-6, though they used the original part number and not the one with the "H" in it. The service writer said that they went by the first part of the TSB regarding mounts & stuff, but that for the transmission replacement the extended warranty that is covering this will not authorize "aftermarket parts" in their repairs.

"Aftermarket parts"??? Since when is 305104H20284 an "aftermarket" part???

The service guy's going to speak with the shop foreman and ascertain whether one part number or the other is an issue here.... Something tells me I need to go up a level or two.

Who's the best entity to go with at this point?

#1,013 ·
Potential Buyer - Replacement

I am in the market to purchase a 2007-09 RAV4 V6 and have test driven an 07 with 55k miles that exhibited the drone covered in this thread.

I am trying to confirm with a Toyota dealer that this would be covered at no cost under the TSB if we purchase and bring it to them but have yet to hear back.

Does anyone here have any experience with a similar situation? Does it have to be repaired prior to the 60K/5yr powertrain warranty? If so it's already out of 5 years.

Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.