Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Electrical Issues

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  blackdogpub1 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and not very electrically inclined. I recently started having some issues after I had my windows tinted (they removed the door panels including the wiring from the locks/windows and also did tint on my front windshield). My 2006 rav4 v6 limited wouldn't start today. Battery was completely dead. Also, my key fob wasn't working to unlock the door unless I manually inserted it. I hooked up some jumper cables and got it to turn on. The weird thing now is that the radio, clock backlight, and floor light will stay on even after I turn off the car and open the door. After manually turning off the radio, I thought this would solve the problem but since the floor light stays lit and the clock backlight stays lit even after I open the door my car continues to die.

Some of the things I have already checked: The connectors for the door locks/windows are all correctly connected on both the driver and passenger doors. The battery keeps a charge by itself and the car will continue to run once turned on so I would imagine the alternator is fine. The black rubber door sensor on the car works correctly and the "door open" light on the dash board goes off when the car door shuts.

There is very little information online about this issue but what I'm starting to think is that the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) relay might have gone bad. If this is the case, I have no idea where it is located. If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. The window tint shop's owner has agreed to look at it for me but that will be in a couple days. He said he knows a lot about electrical problems and said he would do what he could to diagnose it for me free of charge but if I can fix it before then, it would be great.

For now, I have to turn off my car and remove the battery terminals every time I park. haha. Please help.

See less See more
#3 ·
blackdogpub1 hasn't posted since April 2014 but maybe someone else can help. My first question is if there are any aftermarket add-ons such as a remote starter.

#4 ·
Thank you Dr. Dyno for replying. To answer your question, no, there are no add-ons whatsoever. The problem actually started a weekend ago with my key out of the ignition, the radio, clock, power windows stayed on and key fob not working. I disconnected the battery (negative only) for maybe a couple of hours and upon connecting it back, everything went back to normal -the key fob started to work, radio, clock and power windows were off. Then just this Friday it started doing it again. Disconnected the battery overnight, connected the battery the next morning but didnt go back to normal this time. I drove for an errand and when i got back home, everything's normal again. I dont want to bring it yet to the dealership (they are charging $140 to diagnose) so any help i would really appreciate it. Thanks much.

#5 ·
It sounds to me as if a relay is stuck closed. Or, it could be a bad ignition switch that's stuck in the ACC position.

#8 ·
I'd start by pulling fuses and then the associated relays to localize the problem. I agree with JuneBug - probably the ignition switch or a relay.

#9 ·
i had a truck once that had a body seam spread apart....when it would rain water got in.....the water eventually corroded some electrical connections and caused similar problems.....i did a little searching and found people talking about 4runners that had plugged sunroof drain holes causing water to get into the vehicle and cause similar issues.......

#10 ·
I dont think it was raining (neither after a wash) whenever the problem occurs. The only thing i remember that i did out of the ordinary before the issue happened was i sprayed lysol disinfectant into the air vents outside and inside the hood to get rid of the moldy smell whenever i turn on the a/c (even after replacing the cabin air filter). The ignition switch is also my guess but i would also mention the relay to my mechanic when he checks it. Thank you all again.

#11 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to get back with you. I haven't had my RAV for quite some time now but I remember when I had the issue. It turned out to go away all by itself. I attributed the problem to the car tinting company spraying cleaner on the inside of the windshield, then dripping down into the electrical. If you sprayed a cleaner into your vents it might be the same problem. Hopefully everything will dry out and work normally like mine did. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.