Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

RAV4 to which next car?

26K views 131 replies 59 participants last post by  evmoore 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 RAV4 v6 sport and it has been a good car, and now I starting my research to get into the next car.

I have so far looked at the following

RX350 - nice interior, nice seats, nice cargo, nice space in back seat, bad infotainment and functions (a/c turn on turn off hidden in menu etc)

X3 - great to drive and handles well, feel that its cargo is smaller that RAV4, haven't measured, interior is nice, not as luxurious as the RX.

Q5 - back seat is cramped, cargo area is small, doesn't drive as good as the X3 and the exterior looks great.

What was you next car from the RAV4?

#2 ·
I expect the replacement for our
2006 V6 4WD Barcelonia Red Limited RAV4 will be a
2012 V6 4WD Barcelonia Red Limited RAV4. :thumbs_up:

#4 ·
When my extended warranty runs out in 2016, I would be looking at a nice pre-owned Lexus RX350.

#35 ·
Had both

2010 RX350 AWD & 2014 MDX SH-AWD w/ Tech Package

MDX is better in every single way ... hated the RX ... glad my wife totalled it after 13 months of ownership! :)

The absolute WORST Infotainment interface developed to-date. Thank-god for a 3rd party device that allowed you to override the Navi system to be able to access all of the features that Lexus lawyers locked you out of while driving!

#7 ·
If I'm still around when my RAV's VSA runs out in 2019 I would have to see what would be available as a replacement - between government regs. and pressure groups like Consumers Union the market may be dominated by vehicles which would be designed to get 200 mpg and withstand a 2000-foot sheer cliff dropoff and a 70-mph head-on crash with an OTR rig such as a Peterbuilt. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
A few conditions:

1) Vehicle must be compatible with my *special* Toyota oil filter wrench.
2) Must have a transmission dipstick. (Sorry RAV gen 4.4)
3) Will consider plug-in electric depending how things evolve by 2019.

And like Dr. D, will be looking for Barcelona Red :thumbs_up:

#10 ·
Without a lottery hit I'll be driving my RAV to the grave.......with one it would likely be an RX350 although the Santa Fe Sport Turbo appeals also. I haven't driven either one (or even sat in them!) but they seem to draw me the most.

Well scratch that. Nearest Lexus dealer is 300 miles away in San Antonio.:doh:

#15 ·
Without a lottery hit I'll be driving my RAV to the grave.......with one it would likely be an RX350 although the Santa Fe Sport Turbo appeals also. I haven't driven either one (or even sat in them!) but they seem to draw me the most.

Well scratch that. Nearest Lexus dealer is 300 miles away in San Antonio.:doh:
Nearest Toyota dealer is 5 min ... walk!
Nearest Lexus dealer is 5 min ... walk!

Most all other dealers (Honda, Subaru, BMW, Benz,Audi, Hyundai, Chevy...) are 5 min by car :)

#11 ·
The RDX is at the top of my list. The only problem is I don't think they have a 4wd lock like the Rav and it's been noted the newest generation is a little slow at getting power to the real wheels when it senses slipping from the front.

#12 ·
Something that is NOT Barcelona Red. LOL Just kidding you red fans.

I am hoping to find a deal on an RS6 Avant.

#17 ·
Do some research on the dealer-to-customer incentives your retailer offers. With my Rav4, I got free tyres and batteries for the life of the car (even if I decide to sell it), provided I do all the factory-recommended maintenance there. Seeing how high the price of tyres can be, I'd say that's what drove the bargain right home!

#20 ·
Do some research on the dealer-to-customer incentives your retailer offers. With my Rav4, I got free tyres and batteries for the life of the car (even if I decide to sell it), provided I do all the factory-recommended maintenance there.
Check the fine print. Make sure it says "factory-recommended maintenance" and not "dealer-recommended maintenance"; there can be quite a difference.

#19 ·
I can think of 10.5 BILLION reasons I wouldn't buy another GM product.

#24 ·
#25 ·
My 2009 Rav4 Sport V6 SAP 4x4 with over 80k miles still looks and drives like new, but if I had money to burn, it would be on the Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel (or SRT8?!).

#30 ·
When my current Rav4 comes off lease, one option is to look for a used '12 Limited. I am also looking at the Subaru Outback, Crosstrek XV, Honda CRV, Toyota Venza, and Mazda CX-5. I have given thought to going to a sedan, but I've really grown to love the easy ingress/egress of a crossover. There are a lot of great vehicles out there now, but I've pretty much decided that I need something with 4WD/AWD as long as I live here in Michigan.

#36 ·
After having driven many brands of vehicles ... some luxury ... some not ... I have to say I'm quite partial to the BMW brand. Go take one for a spin, and you will be hooked too ... too bad that every time I build one, I somehow end up adding $15k of options to the base vehicle to get all the unnecessary toys that are quite appealing.

If you are a techie like me ... you will love the iDrive system as well as the ability to connect you laptop to the OBD-II port, and with BMW software (readily available for free download on BMW forums) change every little detail of the vehicle's configuration to your personal preference.

The F25 X3 with M-Sport in 35i trim level would be my choice. Space Grey Metallic w/ Nevada Mojave Leather. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.