Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Should I Buy a Used Toyota RAV4?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  marbillw 
#1 ·

Vehicle Overview

Toyota’s RAV4 compact crossover entered its third generation on the market for the 2006 model year. Having grown in size, two features previously not found on the RAV4 were added: a V6 engine option and a third row of seating.

The 269 HP 3.5-liter V6 was paired to a five-speed automatic while the entry level 166 HP 2.4-liter four cylinder engine came equipped with a more traditional four-speed automatic transmission. Either engine could be had with front-wheel drive or optional all-wheel drive.

Trim Packages

The RAV4 was offered in three basic trims, Base, Sport and Limited. Either engine was available in these trims as well as the choice of front-wheel or all-wheel drive.

Top 3 Reasons to Buy

Many consumers found the previous RAV4 was a bit too small, but did not want to move up to the larger mid-size Toyota Highlander. The 2006-2012 RAV4 became the perfect size for them.

A rarity in the class, the optional V6 engine actually made the RAV4 a very quick vehicle; one of the quickest compact crossovers on the market.

Even if the third row isn’t particularly spacious, having the extra spots should you need them every now and then can be pretty handy.

Top 3 Problem Areas

A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was issued two years ago for the five-speed automatic found in V6 equipped RAV4s. The final drive gear assembly may exhibit a whine noise that can be repaired a local Toyota dealership.

The V6 editions of the RAV4 are prone to water pump issues. Although most issues occur with the 2006-2009 models and later versions of the RAV4 V6 had a different part number for the water pump, 2010-2012 models have had the odd water pump failure.

During low speed, tight cornering a knocking noise can be heard from the front suspension area. Although four-cylinder versions can be susceptible to this issue, it appears V6 models are affected more often.
For more information about this story, Should I Buy a Used Toyota RAV4? please visit AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#4 ·
Don't forget the I-4 ENG. using oil from I believe 2006-2008. If your only talking about the v-6, then I apologize for bringing it up.
That reminds me - Isuzu 3.5L motors from 98 to mid 2001 had the same problem with insufficient oil ring drain holes as your I4. I'm a little shocked that Toyota made the same mistake that Isuzu did, years after the problem was known.

Reactions: Watergirl
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.