Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

is Toyota inflating there sticker mileage?

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ROLLTIDE 
#1 ·
Was at the dealership today getting a flat repaired and browsing the new cars, I noticed the mileage stickers on the new vehicles seemed - unless my math is way off and we all know that is possible - to have inflated mpg ratings. Example... the Sienna was stickered at hwy7.9L/100km / 35 mpg.

35 mpg??? Wouldn't 7.9L/100km be closer to 29/30mpg??

#3 ·
The last I heard these U.S. EPA mileage figures are based upon the vehicles being tested using non-ethanol gasoline.

Also the EPA has relied heavily upon the vehicle manufacturers' own test results, supposedly following EPA testing guidelines.

#6 ·
I've recently tested my RAV with non-ethanol gas, and the results compared to using 10% ethanol gas over the same route showed no difference at all.

#4 ·
canadian gallon VS US gallons?

Reactions: JTRAV
#10 ·
Well in that case, I'm gonna start using Imperial gallons to make it sound as if my RAV gets better mileage. :wink And what are these Imperial gallons anyway?? Some British thing I suppose. :laugh

#12 ·
I would be interested in knowing how much mileage is affected by the Air conditioner.

Where I live it is hard to find a long straight, level stretch of road where I could keep a constant speed and watch my mileage indicator before and after engaging the AC.

I tried it on a short stretch of road and it seemed to drop between 1 and 2 miles per gallon with AC on.

Anyone have figures on this?

#14 ·
I would be interested in knowing how much mileage is affected by the Air conditioner.
Where I live it is hard to find a long straight, level stretch of road where I could keep a constant speed and watch my mileage indicator before and after engaging the AC.
I tried it on a short stretch of road and it seemed to drop between 1 and 2 miles per gallon with AC on.

Anyone have figures on this?
A basic Internet search "How much gas does air conditioning use" rewards with a plethora of pages.

The skinny, culled from these pages.

AC reduces mileage 10 percent. So if your RAV does 30mpg.... AC will drop it to approx. 27mpg.

AC is recommended for highway driving; open windows for city driving because there is virtually no drag at those lower speeds, hence no gas waste.

HOWEVER... and here comes the rub.

Highway AC/Open Window tests from Consumer Reports and Edmunds.com concluded: "while opening the windows does increase the aerodynamic drag on a car, it does not have a measurable effect on the vehicle's fuel economy even at highway speeds."

So there ya go. Believe who you want.

But for what's it's worth, here's RollTide's bottom line on nit-pickin' gas savings, and I've said a gazillion times on these forum:
"If ya'll can't afford a few extra miles-per-gallon (for whatever reason)... you shouldn't be driving an SUV in the first place and shoulda bought a Prius.

Common retort to this is:
:mad: "Well, I need a full size SUV or truck for business. A Prius won't haul lumber or tow"

Rolltide's retort to that retort:
"If your business can't afford the extra few miles-per-gallon... it's time to find a better business." :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.