Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Backing my RAV

3K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  KSNancy 
#1 ·
How long does it take to get used to backing a RAV with the rear-mounted spare? When I am parking my '11 base, I am so scared of backing into the car behind me that I usually end up with 5-6 feet between me and the other car. The is especially true with small cars. I'm too cheap to install cameras, do you have any other tips?
Maybe I should get one of those funny mirrors like the on the mail Jeeps. :smile

#3 ·
takes a couple of weeks, for me I installed set of backup sensor from ebay, costs about 25$ and works pretty well.

#5 ·
I do exactly the same thing when backing up ANY of my cars, trucks or trailers. I just figure leaving too much space beats the alternative.

#6 ·
Or...... we could just look at the vehicle parked next to you and line up accordingly.... mirror-to-mirror. Or, if the other vehicle is a compact, position your mirror just before their mirror.

Another way... rear park beside an empty space, and use the vehicle in the next space over as a guide; using the reflection of your vehicle in their paint to guide you. Of course if the other car is filthy, then park beside one where the owner is up on their waxing and cleaning.

But all of these things are secondary to the fact that every parking lot slot is deep enough to hold a RAV. So when rear parking, just look left and stop when the left corner of your hood aligns with the outward edge of the yellow line in the parking space one over . Done. And you'll save $$$ on the gimmickry of rear cameras.

#8 · (Edited)
I don't have a backup camera, but figure that they must be better than trying to use the distortion-inducing outside mirrors for parallel parking which are OEM on cars these days . . . I've never been able to get past the see-it-as-it- is mirrors from my truck driving time! Fortunately I passed my car driver parallel parking tests years ago before we were saddled with these current mirrors.

#11 ·
seems like the op has the biggest issue with parralel parking.....if he was in a parking lot with many spaces im sure he would just put it in head first.....if you want pecision then get a camera since it allows you to see.....second would be the sensors.....however since the size and height of cars and trucks you back up in front of will vary it will take some time to get used to it....just remember better to leave too much room.....if you dont leave enough then things get pricey.....

#14 ·
"Electromagnetic" implies to me that it will only work well if you're backing up towards something metallic (ferromagnetic, specifically).

So, for example, that wooden post or, more importantly, neighbor kid may not trip it. Yes, in the details it says it detects people, but I'd have to wonder how well.

I have no experience with these things, but one would think that most people/liability-aware-manufacturers probably use ultrasonic sensors for a reason...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.