Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Checking a '08 Rav4.3 on Carmax on Monday wife wants to get it.

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Boricuanology 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!!

Thanks for this awesome Forum, new to Rav4's but not to cars!!!

The story!! My wife and I after so many years decided to get a new/used vehicle and after some consideration (mpg, quality, style, practical, 3rd seat, look) we both agree on the third generation Rav4.

After some checking around the model that got our attention the most was the one with the 3rd rear seat. After a week of hard searching the seller at Carmax found us a '08 Base model fwd with 4cyl and a 3rd road seat with 60,000 + miles. Not gonna lie the features and look of the Rav4 Sport and the limited would be nise but we about to settle for the '08 Base fwd model.

Wife is sooooooooo desperate to get this car this coming Monday but after doing some research I have found out about a few issues with the '06-'08 Model in particular that now have me on alert mode, and have me asking myself this questions:

1- If the car is being sold by CarMax, if any recalls have been known, can I trust a company like CarMax to have gotten everything taking care off by the Toyota dealer prior to selling this car to the public? This information should be available found on the Carfax?

2- Would the Toyota dealer, not CarMax, take care of any issues known about this car if any is due even if I wasn't the original owner of the car?

3- Is the interior with a 3rd seat also available in black? I have only seemrey?,

4- Is the 4cyl that bad of an engine to handle regular everyday activities.

5- 4cyl vs 6cyl? I know this question have been asked a million times by now but is the V6 the way to go FWD/AWD regarless? I love that it has more power V6, anticipating the car will have 5-7 people lots of times.

6 - What are the known issues with the'06-'08 Rav4.3 models? Is there a link to all the recalls or known problems? Sorry for not doing my own searching is just time is running out and would like to find out as much info as I can since my access to a computer is limited and I want to go prepared with all the question and concerns this coming Monday and I don't want to make a bad decision that I'm gonna regret later.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! If you can get the vehicle's VIN you can register with the Toyota Owners site and all of the maintenance which has been done by Toyota dealers should appear as well as info about recalls and whether the recall work has been taken care of.

With you apparently wanting a three row seating RAV and you plans to have a rather large passenger load you might want to consider a V6 RAV. But the '06-'08 V6s relatively often had coolant pump problems, and some owners have had transmission whine complaints.

Don't know about CarMax. Perhaps another member does. Good luck finding what you need and want.

#3 ·
Thank you Blogson for your informative reply!!!

I believed my wife has the VIN# so I will try to find out that information right away. As a man that loves cars, works on them (certificates on Auto Mechanics) and I consider myself a good researcher, is hard to deal with cars without getting in a debate with the wife LOL.

It was my idea on getting a RAV4 with the 3rd seat, I figure it might not be the must comfortable seat but is there and I know it would be handy soon or later (wife and my 3 girls are slim) plus later down the road if I decide to sell her in the future, in my opinion is a big plus. Agree? but knowing that a car that will be full of passengers the extra 100 hp will be awesome to have and I figure the AWD option will be a big plus if we happen to have another bad winter like the one we had last year.

Fuel seems not a huge difference if you compare the 4cyl (lighter) vs the 6cyl (heavier) taking under consideration FWD vs AWD, we talking what, 2 to 5 miles difference? This is a guy coming from a '99 GMC Safari AWD and let me tell you, MPG on the 4.3 Vortech AWD will bring tears to your eyes.

#4 ·
Avoid the 2.4....06-08 as they have a tendency to burn a lot of oil.....and the v6 is definitely the way to go.....black interior only comes with the sport.....and if you live where it snows then do not get the fwd....many have complained that even with snow tires they suck in snow and resale will be poopoo compared to the awd.....

#5 ·
Ditto.

Especially if you plan to go with a 4-cyl, get a 2009 or later, which had a different engine (2.5L) that did not have severe oil burning problems.

If you expect a full load, you'll really appreciate the V6.

Buying a vehicle is a major decision, worth the time it takes to get it right.

#6 ·
Honestly I can't think of a worse combination.....oil burning 2.4l four cylinder engine and three seats loaded down with peeps. The mileage on that one is right at the point where the oil guzzling begins. As far as the recalls it is questionable at best to think CarMax has seen to it that they were done. Let this one pass and look for the newer 2.5l or the V-6. If you positively need three seats then the V-6 is the only way to fly. Keep in mind the huge storage compartment in the floor is lost with the 3rd row.

#7 ·
Why not look at a Highlander instead? I have a feeling a 3rd-row 4cyl RAV4 is going to get tight and slow feeling pretty quick. And 2WD will be frustrating in your area in winter. Finding a V6 4WD with 3rd-row RAV4 may be tough.

As far as I know the Highlander comes with less cramped 3rd-row and the V6. 4WD versions should be much easier to find. Fuel mileage won't be quite as good but will easily beat your GMC.

In short, at least look at the Highlander option so you don't regret it later - which in my honest opinion wouldn't be long.

#8 ·
I can't comment on a 4cyl Rav4 because I specifically spec'ed the V-6 for our 2007 awd Ltd / w-3rd row seat.

Before you pull the trigger you really have to test that 3rd row. My wife absolutely wanted it and since we've owned this '07 since Dec '12 we've used it about 4 times.

Except for very small and agile humans it's practically useless!

But she felt the Highlander was too big.

Definitely run the VIN at a local dealer or register at the Toyota website and review service records and recall history. We had to R&R brakes (R@30K miles/F@35K miles) and rear shocks (25K Miles) early in the car's history. The rear shocks are especially prone to leaking. Test for steering clunk noises by cranking the steering wheel hard left and right. It's a small but expensive repair. The front struts are getting noisy now @ 42K miles .. .. and this car isn't driven any differently than her previous Villager minivan (retired at 90K miles) or Audi Turboquattro touring (totaled in not-at-fault accident @ 100K miles).

Can't comment on cooling system issues - had none. Fuel economy is fair but the 6 cyl version has a lot of spunk! It handles well in bad weather but @ 30K miles we had replaced upgraded the stock tires with better rated (but stock size) Yokohamas via Tirerack and that helped a lot.

Net net this edition of Rav4's is a fine small ute ... Don't overestimate the practicality of the 3rd seat!

#9 · (Edited)
I'm with Dr Dyno on this one

Totally agree with the good Doc Dyno here. I have an '08 Sport 4 cyl. and the power is fine even with 4 aboard,but it IS somewhat cramped with a child seat in back. I have seen third-row RAVs & I wouldn't put anyone I liked back there. If you're going to use that third row a lot,you'll be better off with a Highlander. By the way, my 2.4 L four has had the oil burning issue fixed (paid for by Toyota) prior to my buying it. NO oil use at all between scheduled changes since I've had it.
BTW,I see you are near me in Pa. so DEFINITELY look at FWD as a must-have. The mileage penalty is next to nil compared to the ability to go anywhere,any time when winter comes. Best of luck whatever you decide. Nick

#10 ·
I have an 2008 4cyl 4WD. So I am talking from experience.

If you will hauling 5 people or more all the time, get the V6.

I am lucky that my excessive oil consumption was fixed under warranty by the previous owner. Avoid the 4Cyl 2006-2008 unless there is a history of the excessive oil consumption being done.

#11 ·
View attachment ServiceHistoryReport.pdf Base on the info you guys gave me I manage to find the record for the Rav4 we are interested on. There were a lot of recalls I guess It doesn't mean all cars will have those problems, right? Either that I this car has never been taking care off when it comes to all the recalls.

The one time it looks like It was for a Tune up and the other time I don't know what was that for, should it be more stuff on the history of this car i think, At the very least it should said that the car was taken to the dealer for the recall and after inspection the car came clean.

Wife is getting upset, it seems she just want to jump on this one, I understand her frustration but i rather get one that's gonna give me years of trouble free service than to go back and forth to the dealer for repairs.

Stupid me, should have done the research before I started checking on cars. Had a little disagreement that just cause I'm going to see this car this coming Monday it DOESN'T mean I pulling the trigger on this one.

So the 2.5 engine on the '09 and up got fix, how about the V6 from the same year, did those got taken care of any known issues as well?

I'm so glad I found you guys, your replies are quick and with good info.

I truly appreciate!!! I will post pictures as soon as I get my baby!!

PS- So no black interior with 3rd seat, only base model and limited came with 3rd seat, not the sport?

#19 ·
So the 2.5 engine on the '09 and up got fix, how about the V6 from the same year, did those got taken care of any known issues as well?
There was a recall for an oil hose, but other than that the V6 is good for all years IMO.

My 08 V6 has been great, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and I just went on a trip with the vehicle full of people and stuff, and got over 25 mpg even with a headwind.

#12 ·
If there's a recall, it doesn't matter if you exceeded your warranted (years or miles) if you are the owner of the car the Toyota dealer will get in contact with you one way or another so that this recall will be taking care of, right? I have no problem taking it to the dealer and see what the car needs.

It is possible to say that maybe some owners didn't took their car to the dealer for whatever reason?

Maybe the car wasn't part of the recall?

Could it be that they took the car to the dealer, everything checked OK so they didn't do anything to the car cause on this particular car there was nothing wrong with it?

I have checked all the Rav4 near my area and out of the ones that are V6 are a bit over my budget. Yes we were considering the Highlander, but it was a bit long/big, MPG wasn't as good and it looks like a regular SUV, we wanted something more of a Crossover look and the Rav4 fit the bill.

#13 ·
Hi,

I am chiming in as a new Rav4 owner, because I was facing the same dilemma a few days ago, and looked at CarMax' inventory along with several other Rav4s.

I find CarMax' prices on the high side. Even at Toyota, Honda, and Lexus dealers, I have seen Rav4s cheaper than CarMax.

I found this one close to you: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...seListingId=383195630&trim1=RAV4|Limited&mmt=[TOYOTA[RAV4[RAV4%257CLimited]][]]&listingId=377123781&Log=0 at Diamond Toyota...they have several.

I think that price is very good. If it doesn't have the 3rd row seat, consider adding it yourself. Make sure you get seatbelts too: Search Results

Take your time. Calm the Missus until you can find the right one. There are TONS of Rav4s out there, as they sold well.

#14 ·
If it doesn't have the 3rd row seat, consider adding it yourself.
Others have asked this question in the past ("Can I add the 3rd row seat myself?") and the general consensus was NO. You pretty much need to get them from the factory. It *may* be physically possible, but the expense to retrofit one without the 3rd row from the factory would be outrageous, as it had a completely different rear suspension and many different interior components/panels. I can't imagine I'd feel safe in one that was hacked together...

Take your time. Calm the Missus until you can find the right one.
IMO, this is much better advice.

#15 ·
My problem is that my credit is not the best, went thru some ruff times and now I'm paying the price. I have check cargurus.com and I can find them by the hundreds and if i'm willing to travel a bit by the the thousands.

I just don't know if the dealers are gonna offer me something good. We saw a '06 with 93,000 and they wanted 13,300 for it and they were asking us for 2,5000 as a down payment.

I'm gonna go and check the car out and ask them all the information that I just find out with you guys. The fact that they haven't taking this car to the Toyota Dealer to take care of any problem/recall that are free of cost to them bothers me.

Right now is that oil problem that bothers me, are they any happy '06-'07 Rav4 owners with lots of miles out there that haven't experience the oil problem with the 2.4 2AZFE?

#17 ·
Good news guys, I manage to get a V6 AWD after all. Its a '07 and it has a little more miles but it looks in the pictures like it was well taken care off. Another big plus, It's a Limited Trim so I'm happy. I'm hopping to have it on my possession by the weekend.

Thank you guys so much for your inputs and opinions.

#20 ·
I think the one you mention on the link is gone, there was a red limited near by on another carmax and we went for that one.

There was a recall for an oil hose, but other than that the V6 is good for all years IMO.

My 08 V6 has been great, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and I just went on a trip with the vehicle full of people and stuff, and got over 25 mpg even with a headwind.
I have check the history of the car with the Vin number and all recalls have been taking care off, including the oil line which makes me happy. We are going for the test drive today and if everything is good, no tranny wine, nothing funny with the steering, you will be looking at a new Rav4 owner.

#21 ·
Gee, the wife getting a Barcelona Red V6 4WD Limited. Works for me!

#23 ·
Just wondering if it has the third row seat you were originally looking for. If so that really is a find. They are pretty scarce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.