Brake replacement : Stealer-ship vs Independent - Toyota RAV4 Forums
4.3 General Discuss anything RAV4.3 related that doesn't fit in the categories below.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Brake replacement : Stealer-ship vs Independent

We've had our 2009 for over 72 months and around 78,000 KM. Its about due for new brakes and was wondering what experiences others have had getting this done at the dealer(stealer) ship vs. an independent garage.

We recently had an experience at the dealer that made me question their integrity (they automatically added the "brake flush" and "injector cleaning" without authorization and since my husband took it in for me he assumed it had already been cleared with me. .
To top it off he found the service advisor very condescending and we would rather not deal with him in the future.

That aside, what recommendations would you have in getting these replaced. What should we be aware of and look out for? I live in Calgary Alberta, Canada, so if anyone has any local experience, that would be a bonus

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Are you getting front and rear brakes replaced or just the front?

BTW, how do you know that the brake pads need replacing? Even if there are 2 mm of pad, that's still good for many months.

I recommend you buy your own brake pads and take them to an independent shop for replacement. Advics are the OEM brakes for the RAV4 (available from Amazon, Ebay, ...) but there may other brands that I could recommmend (e.g. Wagner Thermoquiet, Bendix)

Whoever does your brake job, please make sure to tell them to lubricate the caliper pins. This is an easy step to miss and only takes 10 minutes for the whole car.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#3 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 PM

(Thread Starter)
I "think" we are getting everything done? Both the dealership and the place where we get the tires from, both recommended replacing them soon.

They are down to 5 mm in the front and 6mm/32 in the back. Is it too soon to get them done?

(fyi, The 'stealership" even put a note on our file, to replace brakes next time in.)

Thanks for your help.
S.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

So-called dealership "service advisors" often are on commission pay - the more services which they can persuade customers to buy, the more they are paid. Why the "injector cleaning" was done when gasoline at least in the U.S. by regulation already contains detergents is cause for dispute . . . .perhaps one can understand the "brake flush" is legitimate, especially if it hasn't been done previously since brake fluid absorbs water, which reduces its effectiveness by lowering the boiling point and can lead to corroded master cylinder and brake caliper cylinders, but the dealership shouldn't do that automatically. If your husband didn't sign an authorization order for the services in question you might be able to pressure the dealer to rescind the charges, but that could be a difficult battle.

Jim
2011 Upgraded Base V6 4WD
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2002 Craftsman LT1000 V2

Jesus is Lord
#5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
A new brake pad would be about 12mm( . So they are at the 50% mark.
I would just use them for another year and then check again.

Don't be surprised if they last another 3 years!!! It all depends how (hard braking?) /where (stop-go traffic vs highway) you drive.

2008 Base Rav4, 4 Cylinder, 4WD
My upgrades Allen Spare tire Bike Rack
Currently listening to "Badlands" - Voodoo Highway
#6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:09 PM

There are many qualities to look for in a dealer service department and 'condescending' is not one of them. And any charged service like a 'brake flush' and 'injector cleaning' should have been authorized in advance. Was it a big charge for the brake flush or did they just top off the reservoir? Shops will generally inspect things for free looking for a service to jack up the bill, but any charge needs to be cleared by the owner.

I agree with vanib, consider the pad change--later. I target 3mm. Learn to check it yourself by removing wheels, if you have tools. There is also a peephole you can see one of the pads without wheel removal. Gives you an idea where you stand.

I would change dealerships, if possible. There are some things only they can do like the warranty recalls, so it is important to know who is a good one. Just as important to find a good independent shop if you are not mechanically inclined. Things like brakes can be done cheaper there, but you have to research them, get references if possible to gain trust. Learn as much as you can about procedures, like you are doing on this thread. The forum is an excellent resource.

2009 Red RAV4 Base I4 4WD
1989 Chevy Silverado 4WD
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 1WD
#7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 PM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated!

For reference the "stealer-ship" charged $159.95 for the E.F.I. Flush and $131.95 for the Brake flush, of which only $13.95 was for the fluid.

I've been fuming about this for about 72 hours and I'm not really interested in investing any more time and energy in fighting this with them. (pick your battles, right?)
However, they won't be getting any more of our business and their "free" oil changes have been recouped on those charges already. They can forget about getting any referred business as well.

I have to start looking around for references of other garages in town as options to the "stealer".

Thanks again guys.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatine View Post
...However, they won't be getting any more of our business and their "free" oil changes have been recouped on those charges already. ...
Yep, and just this morning a friend of mine with a 2007 Camry (same drivetrain as a RAV4) called about a "little" work his free oil change dealer says needs to be done. $1000 for front struts and another $1000 for rears. I told him they're trying to make their free oil changes pay off finally. Also told him we'd do it ourselves if it's even necessary for $500 max.

Fred
2006 RAV4 V6 4WD Red Limited - wife's
2006 Accord V6 Hybrid - Dr. Dyno's - quick as the RAV but +8 mpg
2003 Odyssey V6 - handy people & cargo mover
1999 F-250 4X4 Diesel - snow plow, Bully Dog chip
2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel - truck camper, TS chip, 20' bike/trike dyno trailer
2004 Suzuki DRZ-400S Dual Sport

It's the pedal (or the handgrip) on the right!!
#9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:48 PM

The local parts store (Napa, etc) can be a good source for local referrals.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:02 PM

About 90,000 miles and decided it was time for front pads, got a flyer in the mail from the local dealer with a complete brake service for the front $149 on sale. This was to include turning the disks and new Toyota pads. Checked the price of pads and decided to let them do it.

At the next oil change and tire rotation, I do that myself about 2,000 miles later it was very obvious that they changed the pads but did not turn the disks, still had a wear lip on the edge. Needles to say they won't be getting anymore of my business.

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page