Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Picking up a 2011 RAV4 tomorrow

14K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Inessence 
#1 ·
I was all set to finish the deal today but the dealership said that they could not give me the car because I have an out of state drivers license.

I will go get a PA license tomorrow morning and then pick up a 2011 RAV4 Limited, V6, AWD that has 24,000 miles on it.

I have had a 2005 4.2 since 2008 and it was time to get a newer one. I have been looking for a while and finally found one that has everything on it that I would want if I had ordered it from Toyota.

It is the gold color, sunroof, heated seats, power seats, hands free phone and tow prep package and of course Limited, V6.

Nice, but more that I was looking for but it also has leather seats, 6 CD changer, 9 speakers and other stuff.

I am looking forward to taking it for a spin tomorrow.

#2 ·
Congrats, Steve! Sounds like you got the Limited with JBL sound system. I think you are going to be very pleased! Just hope getting the license isn't going to be too much of a hassle.

#3 ·
I was all set to finish the deal today but the dealership said that they could not give me the car because I have an out of state drivers license.

I will go get a PA license tomorrow morning and then pick up a 2011 RAV4 Limited, V6, AWD that has 24,000 miles on it.
At minimum this is a little disconcerting and possibly illegal. The state you have your license in doesn't have anything to do with buying a car and isn't any of the dealer's business. They aren't the license cops. All they should need is your address.

I'm in CT (formerly from PA) and have bought cars and trucks in PA, NY, GA and FL with my CT license. I have them put a temporary or transport plate on the car and drive it home. The BIG issue is sales tax. When buying out of state you don't want to get stuck paying it twice. Once to their state and again to yours. The only one I had an issue with was FL where I had to pay FL sales tax on my RAV4. It took a little legwork but FL & CT have a reciprocity agreement so I managed to avoid paying another $900 to CT when I registered it here.

To get a PA license you'll need a PA address unless you're in the military and will have to turn in your current license. So, congrats on the RAV4 but unless you've just moved to PA and need to change your license anyway, something's fishy here.

#5 ·
At minimum this is a little disconcerting and possibly illegal. The state you have your license in doesn't have anything to do with buying a car and isn't any of the dealer's business. They aren't the license cops. All they should need is your address.

I'm in CT (formerly from PA) and have bought cars and trucks in PA, NY, GA and FL with my CT license. I have them put a temporary or transport plate on the car and drive it home. The BIG issue is sales tax. When buying out of state you don't want to get stuck paying it twice. Once to their state and again to yours. The only one I had an issue with was FL where I had to pay FL sales tax on my RAV4. It took a little legwork but FL & CT have a reciprocity agreement so I managed to avoid paying another $900 to CT.

To get a PA license you'll need a PA address unless you're in the military and have to turn your current license. So, congrats on the RAV4 but unless you've just moved to PA and need to change your license anyway, something's fishy here.
Thanks for the info. My situation is a little more complicated. I will be registering the RAV and paying the sales tax in PA. I think that that is the reason, so that the DL and registration are in the same state.

#6 ·
We really like our 2010 RAV4. It is a base model, 4 cylinder AWD. My wife's sister's brother in law just sold his 2010 V6 RAV4 AWD. He said it got a bit spooky having "all that power" in a rollerskate.

What some don't understand is that the V6 gets poorer fuel mileage compared to the 4 cylinder. I routinely average about 29mpg in my 2009 Avalon (specs are 19/28), and ass u me d that the RAV4 would have similar specs. Not so.

According to Edmunds.com, a 2010 RAV4 4 cylinder with 4 speed automatic trans and AWD gets 21/27 and the same vehicle with a V6 gets 19/26. The 4 cylinder is not available with a 5 speed automatic, and the V6 is not available with the 4 speed automatic. If the 4 cylinder were available with the 5 speed automatic, mpg would surely increase.

I have had to pull out into heavy traffic and the 4 cylinder RAV4 didn't disappoint me.

#7 ·
What some don't understand is that the V6 gets poorer fuel mileage compared to the 4 cylinder.
By most accounts that is not true in the real world on the highway. I think this is because the 4-cylinder has to work so much harder (rev higher) to fight drag and also because it has only a 4-speed transmission.

But it is most definitely true in city/stop-and-go traffic.

Yet try towing 3,000 lbs with the I-4...

I find it interesting (and very, very tiring) that so endlessly many people are focusing on fuel mileage, fuel mileage, fuel mileage. Geez, just get a Prius already...what are they doing driving anything that even resembles an SUV???

The Almighty MPG, indeed.

#9 ·
when I go around 80mph on the freeway, i get 25MPG. this is definitely attributed to the transmission and gearing. the sweet spot for the 4 cyl is cruising at 65, I have been able to get 32MPG coasting down to myrtle beach but realistically, with having to pass it averages out to 27-28 which is pretty much equivalent to the v6.

some ppl dont need to tow, like i dont have a trailer or a boat...at the very most i would need the rav to be able to carry some firewood on a folding hitch basket. the beauty in the i4 is the efficiency and simplicity of the engine and requires just basic maintenance to keep it running tip top. im not sweatin bullets waiting for an annoying transmission whine or steering knock, can't afford to hassle with the stealership.

#10 ·
The main complexity of the V6 is are spark plug location. Not a big deal since there are DIYs here. 5-speed transmission vs 4-speed. You rarely, if ever, need to open this up for repair. It is easy to maintain.

For me, that's a non-issue.

I agree with the mpg of the I4 being close to the V6. Unless you do lots of cold winter driving on short distances . It will definitely get less than the 17 mpg I get with my I4 :(

#12 ·
Got it!!!!

Not without a fight though. LOL

I went to the PA drivers license center pulled a number and waited less than a minute. So far so good. Told the guy what I wanted. He asked for ID. I gave him my out of state license and passport.

He also asked for a social security card. I have no idea where mine is so I offered a birth certificate instead. No dice. No social security card, no license. Hmmm,

So I went back to the dealership and processed the deal as though I was going to register it out of state. That went well as they would give me a temporary tag. That gives me time to get a duplicate ss card and then a PA dl.

So we are putting everything together, insurance and all the junk that the dealership wants me to sign and the salesman tell me that the Certified Inspection checklist is on the Service Managers desk and that he was not in today (Saturday) but that they would have it for me Monday.

I told him no, no way. If there is no inspection checklist there is no certification and I will not take delivery. I had sent the salesman an email on Thursday morning, asking to see the checklist so the need to call someone and get it. He had two days to get it.

Jump to the finale, they got into the office and got the checklist and signed it.

The RAV is GREAT! I was mistaken that it had the 9 speaker sound system, it has 7. Not a concern for me as I don't use it much anyway.

I am truly impressed with how solid it is. It sounds like a real car. LOL Going from the 4.2 to the 4.3 is as much of a step up as going from the original RAV to the 4.2.

The V6 will take some getting used to. LOL

#14 ·
So I went back to the dealership and processed the deal as though I was going to register it out of state. That went well as they would give me a temporary tag. That gives me time to get a duplicate ss card and then a PA dl.
That's what I've done 3 times when I bought a car/truck in PA, got a temp tag (30 days), drove home and registered in CT.
Guess it's your business but I still don't understand why you want to register in PA if you don't live there. Cheaper taxes or insurance? You want to "clean" your license? Did PA DMV ask for a PA address or didn't you get that far?

#15 ·
Pico, I am very happy with it. Nice ride, very comfortable, good looking and it GOES. :)

Dr. Dyno, I work as a contract engineer. I have been in PA almost 2 years on a '3 to 6 month' contract. :) I would not be able to get the RAV back to Colorado any time soon.

#16 ·
Dr. Dyno, I work as a contract engineer. I have been in PA almost 2 years on a '3 to 6 month' contract. :) I would not be able to get the RAV back to Colorado any time soon.
As long as you realize you can't have a license in two states (and thus be able to vote in two states) unless you claim to be an illegal alien on pot in Colorado that is...

Oh, and if your 30 day temp runs out before you get this all sorted out you can try for another one by going to one of the many "title & tag" shops or a AAA office for another 30 day one. Just don't say you already have the first one. Not sure it's completely legal but I did it once on a car I bought in PA.

#22 ·
If you don't mind my asking (heh, and not that I disagree!), why did you sell your 2013 (4.4) RAV4 in favor of the 2011 (4.3) RAV4?

#24 ·
Well, it's bigger, has better visibility, sits higher, has more ceiling room, and actually looks and feels like an SUV. I like the sunglasses holder too.
Not to mention, every car make and their brother has a cross-over that look nearly identical. It also felt more like driving a hatchback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.