Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

New owner of JDM Vanguard (LWB RAV4), question on passenger camera

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  KTL 
#1 ·
High Guys,
I live in New Zealand and have just purchased a V6 Vanguard (LWB RAV4) with low miles, it seems a mix between the sport with 18 inch alloys plus Ltd in duel zone ac etc. My issue is that the Vanguard has a Japanese language SatNav that I need to swap out.

My question is do you know if there any support for the side wing mirror camera from after market systems Pioneer, JVC, Sony etc.

#2 ·
Yes, your can get the same unit as mine, it supports 2 camera inputs. Kenwood DNN991HD.
Wow, you're lucky to get all those nice features that are only available in the JDM Rav4's.

#5 ·
Well that camera on the mirror is supposed to be a parking aid so that you can see what's going happening on the passenger side when parking (I think).

Any other cool features worth mentioning? I'm sure yours came with HID headlights as well right?

#6 ·
Yes, it's nice. I have HID lights, Automatic lights turn on when it gets dark great for tunnels to plus they turn off when stop the engine. Push button start, vcool touch the door handle the car unlocks when you leave push the button on the door to lock. Not sure if all LWB RAV4s have rear sliding seats, you can move them back for more leg room or forward for more cargo space, even allows for reclining the rear seats.

#8 ·
High Guys,
I live in New Zealand and have just purchased a V6 Vanguard (LWB RAV4) with low miles, it seems a mix between the sport with 18 inch alloys plus Ltd in duel zone ac etc.
Very nice! The Vanguard seems to have everything! Nicer than our top of the line Limited. What is the little device in front of the passenger side headlamp?

#9 ·
Actually not 100 percent sure yet, I found a switch under the steering column that says pole on / off although haven't worked out what triggers it. The 'device' looks like an old school electric arial it's genuine Toyota has there logo etched into the top.

I suspect it's a parking aid to show you where the front corner of car is.

#11 ·
Equipped with a curb camera and a parking pole? It must be a real challenge to park a car in crowded Japanese cities.

#10 ·
Yes it is a parking aid. I've seen many JDM Toyota's have the poles.
Such parking aids were even used by Mercedes benz back in the day on the LWB S-class, they were mounted on both sides next to the trunk on the rear quarter panels, when you put it in reverse the poles used to pop out, I know this because we had an S600 V12 back in 96.

#14 ·
I completely agree on that. My favorite was my 96 V8 E500 (124 chassis) AMG package with a Brabus exhaust system, that thing was a beast with over 300hp. It had flared front fenders, headlight washers/wipers, power heated seats, and retractable rear curtains.

They really don't make them like they used to. They were the good old days.

Anyways, what engine do you have on the Vanguard? I4 or V6?

#15 ·
The Vanguard has the 3.5 V6 insane acceleration, I have had the the front wheels chirp took by surprise actually. I took the Vanguard on a day trip last weekend, after owning her for two days the trip was a combination of high speed straights finishing by going up and back down a mountain to a coastal town the mountain run was full of cut backs good to test handling was really impressed on how it held the turns, I'm no racer but do appreciate good handling. I also like the multiple airbags, curtain, seat, plus the normal front ones.

#16 ·
Good, I'm glad you got the V6. There are actually only a few places where the V6 was available on the 4.3: Japan, Australia, USA, and Canada.

#17 ·
I know this is an old post, but I too have the curb camera on my 2011 Vanguard 240S. Though it was never connected for some reason when I had had the new headunit installed when I purchased the car. Now using a Pioneer Avh-Z2250bt (highly recommended byy the way) which apparently supports dual camera's. Anybody got any recommendations? is it possibly just a camera cable that the installers failed to connect?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.