Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Help - only have valet key for 2011 Rav4

20K views 64 replies 12 participants last post by  morsekathan 
#1 ·
I have a sparkling 2011 white Rav4, but only have the valet key.

Darn.

What are my options, and are there any tricks, offbeat paths to keep the cost of acquiring 2 standard remote keys to a low/reasonable level?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions, inputs, photos, and step by step instructions!!!!

#40 ·
Hello, All. I am original author of this post; fellow who only has valet key for 2011 Rav4. Here's an update

I delayed doing anything hoping that individual who sold me car would find the remote keys. So far no luck.

Visited the dealer and they nicely provided me with the Key Number for my car. I figure good to have on file. If anyone knows how having the Key Number helps my cause, please share.

Dealer says: $41 for a valet key with key cut, $187 for each remote key with key cut, $220 to re-program flash my ecu. Also, says that if I want two remote keys, need to buy two upfront and re-program/flash together, that once I have one master I cannot on my own program additional remote keys. Also says I cannot purchase a valet key blank for $41 and re-program/flash that to serve as my initial master.

Is this all true for a 2011 Rav4???

Is my lowest cost option to purchase off-brand remote key blanks (via amazon or ebay), then see an auto locksmith? Any recommended auto locksmiths in Los Angeles San Fernando Valley area?

Or is the best course to bite the bullet, pay dealer 187 for one remote key and 220 for re-programming, have a single new master made, then create additional remote keys by myself with authentic or off-brand remote keys?

Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier of off-brand remote key blanks that work, provide contact info, and provide approx price paid? Amazon or ebay seller OK.

Thanks in advance!!!!

#42 ·
Hello, All. I am original author of this post; fellow who only has valet key for 2011 Rav4. Here's an update

I delayed doing anything hoping that individual who sold me car would find the remote keys. So far no luck.

Visited the dealer and they nicely provided me with the Key Number for my car. I figure good to have on file. If anyone knows how having the Key Number helps my cause, please share.
All the key number does is allow you to have a plain key cut to fit the ignition--it does nothing to help with the lack of a programmed master key with immobilizer chip.

Dealer says: $41 for a valet key with key cut, $187 for each remote key with key cut, $220 to re-program flash my ecu. Also, says that if I want two remote keys, need to buy two upfront and re-program/flash together, that once I have one master I cannot on my own program additional remote keys. Also says I cannot purchase a valet key blank for $41 and re-program/flash that to serve as my initial master.

Is this all true for a 2011 Rav4???
No, it is not true, the dealer is trying to discourage you so he can make more money. All you need from the dealer is to have them cut a PLAIN key, it looks like a valet key but it is a master without the buttons. With that, you can get remote keys off Ebay and program them yourself, or get a good locksmith to do it. Call the locksmiths in your area and see if any specialize in automotive keys. They might even be able to provide you with a master key a lot cheaper than the dealer.

Is my lowest cost option to purchase off-brand remote key blanks (via amazon or ebay), then see an auto locksmith?
Thanks in advance!!!!
No, the lowest cost option is to get the master key made, then program any additional keys you want using Techstream which costs less than $30.

#41 ·
#47 ·
ebay seller = yourkeylessremote

Here you go buddy: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=140946105091&alt=web
Please don't waste your money to buy from the dealer, just have them program and cut them for you.
Remote Head Key W/ Oem Electronics Keyless Fob Transmitter G Chip For Toyota Rav

Thanks, Veliksam.

Is this an ebay seller you have used successfully to purchase Rav4 remote keys and had no problem with the keys sent when it came time to program and use?

Last thing I want is to purchase a unofficial key blank with transponder chip and remote buttons and find it does not work; or does not hold up over time.

In this case, ebay seller claims the chip and electronics are official toyota, the case is after-market.

Let us know. Thanks.

#43 ·
Thanks, JuneBug.

#1, I will call around for locksmith to see if they can handle programming, other services for less.

#2, Will work with Dealer (or locksmith) to create a new plain key master. I believe I have two options: (a) have dealer take plain key blank and cut a new key, or (b) check if dealer can turn my existing valet key into a master via programming/flash. Using my existing valet would save me having to pay for a new plain key blank -- though I would lose the benefit of having a fresh key cut and need to live with my existing worn/rounded key cut.

Once I have a master and have purchased 2 remote key blanks from amazon or ebay, who do i use to cut the new key (given I also have the Key #). Do I cut based on the new master key, or do I have locksmith cut more accurately using key #?

Also, now with a plain key master and two cut remote key blanks, is purchasing techstream the only option to set up these two new remote keys. I thought it was possible for some models to program new keys by pressing on the gas pedal, etc. without using techstream.

#45 ·
Thanks, JuneBug.

#2, Will work with Dealer (or locksmith) to create a new plain key master. I believe I have two options: (a) have dealer take plain key blank and cut a new key, or (b) check if dealer can turn my existing valet key into a master via programming/flash. Using my existing valet would save me having to pay for a new plain key blank -- though I would lose the benefit of having a fresh key cut and need to live with my existing worn/rounded key cut.
Go with option (a)--you want a true master key that locks/unlocks the glove box, and since you have the key code, cutting it is no problem.

Once I have a master and have purchased 2 remote key blanks from amazon or ebay, who do i use to cut the new key (given I also have the Key #). Do I cut based on the new master key, or do I have locksmith cut more accurately using key #?
Go with whatever method the locksmith says. Don't let some big box or hardware store flunkie cut the new keys. Use a good locksmith.

Also, now with a plain key master and two cut remote key blanks, is purchasing techstream the only option to set up these two new remote keys. I thought it was possible for some models to program new keys by pressing on the gas pedal, etc. without using techstream.
No, the locksmith should be able to program the keys for you. The pressing pedals/opening doors method went out in the early 2000's.

#44 ·
I've had my keys cut at Wal-Mart and Lowe's.

#49 ·
Programming Immobilizer vs Programming Remote Buttons

Much of the dialogue is about how the Dealer or a locksmith must program at least one Master key so the immobilizer works.

Curious.

-----------------------------
A. If the immobilizer issue is solved for all keys in use, is there a separate simpler do it yourself procedure for programming the three remote buttons that does not require dealer or locksmith?

For discussion purposes, let's say an immobilizer chip is taped near the ignition switch. Thus, any key with proper cuts will open the door and start the car. Under this scenario, how then does one go about programming the remote buttons?
B. Is it possible to use a plain key with immobilizer chip and have a separate remote configured to operate the door locks and panic horn? If so, what remote would be required and what steps to program to operate the door locks and panic horn?

Thanks in advance!!!

#50 ·
A. If the immobilizer issue is solved for all keys in use, is there a separate simpler do it yourself procedure for programming the three remote buttons that does not require dealer or locksmith?

For discussion purposes, let's say an immobilizer chip is taped near the ignition switch. Thus, any key with proper cuts will open the door and start the car. Under this scenario, how then does one go about programming the remote buttons?
The immobilizer and the keyless remote are two totally different systems that have nothing in common except they both exist on some keys. If you were to tape or better yet epoxy an immobilizer chip near the ignition switch, any cut key would start the car. It would make the car easier to steal as the immobilizer is disabled. Programming the keyless remote buttons would still have to be done with Techstream or a similar device.

B. Is it possible to use a plain key with immobilizer chip and have a separate remote configured to operate the door locks and panic horn? If so, what remote would be required and what steps to program to operate the door locks and panic horn?
Sure, you would need to get a remote fob that has the same FCC ID as the original remote key. Maybe from an older model Toyota?

#51 ·
can valet key immobilizer chip be used or is Master immobilizer chip required?

Thanks, JuneBug. You say: "If you were to tape or better yet epoxy an immobilizer chip near the ignition switch, any cut key would start the car. It would make the car easier to steal as the immobilizer is disabled. Programming the keyless remote buttons would still have to be done with Techstream or a similar device." Now I am tempted to epoxy immobilizer chip near ignition. I did this for my Nissan Maxima, but that was a 1999 and I was not concerned about theft. My Rav4 is 2011. However, if I took the immobilizer chip out of my only working key -- the valet -- would I be able to program the keyless remote buttons with Techstream, OR is a Master immobilizer chip required for Techstream to allow programming keyless remote buttons?? Thanks in advance!!

#52 ·
However, if I took the immobilizer chip out of my only working key -- the valet -- would I be able to program the keyless remote buttons with Techstream, OR is a Master immobilizer chip required for Techstream to allow programming keyless remote buttons?? Thanks in advance!!
Yes, the immobilizer has NOTHING to do with programming the keyless remote. As I said before, they are 2 totally separate systems.

#53 ·
Programming lock/unlock functions keyless remote (without Master)

OK. Let's put aside immobilizer programming -- separate as you say from keyless remote lock/unlock programming.

I do not currently have master key, have only valet. I purchased two keyless remote keys from ebay ("G" keys, FCC= HYQ12BDC, equivalent to Toyota part 89070-0R050) and want to get the keyless lock/unlock functionality to work.

Key supplier provided instructions below, but did not work on the first try. Can rav4world member confirm if these instructions should work, or TechStream or other method required. If another method, please provide specific instructions. I would prefer not going thru the step of purchasing TechStream if can be avoided.

Thanks!!!!

################
[FONT=&quot]Toyota programming.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and
drivers door is unlocked.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds.
A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.
B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Close then open the drivers door.
B. Close then open the drivers door.
C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition.
D. Close the drivers door.
E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF.
F. Remove the key from the ignition.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically
indicating successful entry into programming mode.
Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.
B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons,
Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door
locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If
the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was
not accepted.
C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7. Open drivers door.[/FONT]
################

#54 ·
The official Toyota programming document says this procedure is supposed to work on 2001-2008 RAV4's. It did not work on my 2008, but did work on a friend's older Sienna. Here's the PDF:

Programming Toyota Keyless Remote Transmitters

#56 ·
hurray lock/unlock functionality now works, now just need to solve immobilizer issue

Hurray, positive steps forward.

1) Purchased two 3-button remote keys from ebay store of Your Keyless Remote. Approx. $39 each. FCC = HYQ12BDC.

2) Successfully programmed the lock/unlock functionality using the steps provided above. Meaning the steps work for 2011 models, too!!! Such a joy to now be able to open the car using remote buttons rather than with key each time.

3) Now simply need to get the keys cut. Will likely have Toyota dealership cut it based on key code, so cuts are as clean as possible. Beware. The key code the dealership provided for my VIN was WRONG. I obtained the correct key code by using the black round access hole in my driver side door to remove the lock cylinder and read the key code off the side of the lock cylinder.

To avoid putting my newly purchased remote keys at risk, will have dealership first cut a cheap $2 toyota key blank from home depot which I can use on driver door to verify the cut is correct.

4) Final dilemma is how to address the immobilizer issue.

Will not pay dealership $200 plus to program.

One option is find a locksmith who can do it for a reasonable price -- though not easy to find in my area so far. zip = 91406 / Los Angeles San Fernando Valley. LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS.

Fallback option is to tape/glue immobilizer chip from my valet key adjacent to the ignition switch. This would defeat the immob security function -- though I am not really worried about a thief being able to get a copy of my key.

Thanks to all!!!

#57 ·
hurray!! transponder/immobilizer issue not resolved. I'm done!!!

I closed the book on my adventure earlier today.

Found a locksmith here in Los Angeles (Lee's Key & Locksmith) who reset the ecu on my Rav4 2011, then added first the two new keyless remotes purchased via ebay then my original valet key.

Now all three keys work on the car.

Took the locksmith 20 minutes to do the work. He used a CK-100 Autokeysprotool device to do the job. 16 minutes to clear/reset the ecu. Then 4-5 minutes to add the 3 keys.

Thanks to all for your ideas/input along the way.

Doing it myself took some time but saved me $300-400.

Dealer quote 2 x $180 for keys plus $200 to program the keys.

My cost: under $150.

#58 ·
I closed the book on my adventure earlier today.

Found a locksmith here in Los Angeles (Lee's Key & Locksmith) who reset the ecu on my Rav4 2011, then added first the two new keyless remotes purchased via ebay then my original valet key.

Now all three keys work on the car.

Took the locksmith 20 minutes to do the work. He used a CK-100 Autokeysprotool device to do the job. 16 minutes to clear/reset the ecu. Then 4-5 minutes to add the 3 keys.

Thanks to all for your ideas/input along the way.

Doing it myself took some time but saved me $300-400.

Dealer quote 2 x $180 for keys plus $200 to program the keys.

My cost: under $150.
Congratulations! Glad to see you got it sorted out at a reasonable price. Good locksmiths are getting hard to find.

#60 · (Edited)
Thanks for this thread- it's helping me sort out what I need to due to get master keys after we bought a 2007 Rav4 Limited with only a valet key. How little did we know. The good part is the small dealership we bought it from offered to pay for the replacement of master keys. I don't think they expected a $500+ price tag though.

I have two transponder remote entry key blanks from the same seller on Ebay, who is still very reputable. Once we receive the title and registration from the DMV, I will get the cheap master key cut and follow the same process as above... Unless... -->

With the TechStream software, cable and a laptop, how difficult is it to handle the transponder (re)programming? I work on computers all day, but don't necessarily want to take the chance of corrupting my ECU. I'd imagine having the TechStream gear could help in other areas down the road?

Any further advice is appreciated!

Thanks! Pete

*Edit*- I work in IT for a corporation that develops automotive electronics in one of its business units and I trouble shoot CAN protocol stuff nearly daily. I'm wondering if one of the engineers would know how to do it or have the gear I could borrow.

#61 ·
With the TechStream software, cable and a laptop, how difficult is it to handle the transponder (re)programming? I work on computers all day, but don't necessarily want to take the chance of corrupting my ECU. I'd imagine having the TechStream gear could help in other areas down the road?
I have added several keys to my RAV using Techstream, and it is very simple. This thread I created might help:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92843-adding-extra-key-using-techstream.html

#62 · (Edited)
I appreciate that, already went through that a few times, but as your post says-

"You cannot do the immobiliser programming with a sub key, you must have
a master in the ignition."

I assume you mean a master key WITH a transponder though? That I don't have. Or is it only the master cut that's required?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the TechStream stuff anyway, since I drive a 2007 Tundra.

Pete

#63 ·
Yeah, all you need is an immobiliser chip that has been programmed as a MASTER. The cut has nothing to do with it. Typically, the VALET key is programmed as a SUB key and cut differently so it won't unlock the glove box.

#65 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to jump 8 years later and say that I followed all the instructions and was able to get three keys made (two masters and reprogram the valet) for $150 for my 2012 RAV4 (we lost both master keys!). I bought two new masters from Amazon ($15 each - I could have gotten them cheaper, but not faster!). I took the masters to the dealer and they cut new master keys for me - no charge. I then went to a locksmith and he programed the fobs and the chips for the two master keys and reprogrammed the valet key. I could have followed the instructions for programming the fob (I really wanted to try it), but my husband just had the locksmith do it. It's not clear to me that it would have saved that much money since people said it cost them $65 to have the chip programed, but it would have been fun - all that turning and opening doors! Anyway, the total for three keys was $180 including buying from Amazon.

thank you to everyone for your input here.

Sarah

I have a sparkling 2011 white Rav4, but only have the valet key.

Darn.

What are my options, and are there any tricks, offbeat paths to keep the cost of acquiring 2 standard remote keys to a low/reasonable level?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions, inputs, photos, and step by step instructions!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.